scp
    scp's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nordicbet breaking their own rules on Ski Jumping

I made a head-to-head bet for Gergor Schlierenzauer to beat Simon Amman on Garmisch-Partenkirchen qualification 31th December. Ammann did jump longer than Schierenzauer, but in official results Ammann was disqualified because of illegal jumping suit.

Nordicbet rules on ski jumping clearly state: "Official results will count regardless of number of jumps/rounds made."

Also their general rules state: "If one or both of them do not start the event, or of if none of them gets a result, the stake will be refunded. If both start the event, but only one of them gets a result, the bet will stand. To start an event means that a participant start his first jump, throw, etc."

However, NordicBet settled my bet as lost. I sent few emails to customer support regarding my incorrectly settled bet. They refused to change the result as they consider official results being the ones shown in television broadcast although FIS publish a PDF-document on theri website with the title "Official Results".

Not everyone is able to watch the broadcast, but everyone betting online gets access to the official site containing official results. Any comments?

Link to the official results: http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.ht...JP&raceid=2812

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Interesting/messy case. In F1 for example, many books honour the 'first' official results, and don't account for later DQ's. Was there an initial set of results marked as official in this case? How long after the TV broadcast was the DQ announced?

scp

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    Interesting/messy case. In F1 for example, many books honour the 'first' official results, and don't account for later DQ's. Was there an initial set of results marked as official in this case? How long after the TV broadcast was the DQ announced?
    I understand honouring the first results, but in this case FIS does publish those official results very shortly after the event. Those jumpers were the last two jumping in the qulifiication so the disqualification couldn't be shown on the television broadcast.

In on e-mail the customer support agent sent me a link to some german article where there was written the lenght of Simon Amman qualification jump. I suppose it would be easier for them to rely on the official results instead of trying to proof the disqualified athlete performance searching for some unofficial article.

vanman
    vanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

I believe Nordic have settled this correctly.

scp

Nordicbet general rules: "3.17 If there are disqualifications or result changes after an event has been completed, the results will not be changed in bets that already are settled."

Of course this rule can be applied, but I think in ski jumping the completion of the event includes checking the jumping suits because the suits have major effect on air dynamics and therefore the jumpers perormance. The suits will be checked right after the athlete has landed his jump and the official results won't be published before every suit has been checked. The official results with possible disqualifications are normally published within 15-30 minutes after the last jump. Considering all this, I don't believe the results shown on television broadcast can't be considered as official.

I approve on settling the bets relying on the results shown on teleivision broadcast to operate more quicky. But, because the rules clearly state that the official results apply and that PDF copy of the official results is the only way to indisputably decide winner, I think my bet should be resettled.

nenad
    nenad's Avatar Become A Pro!

nordicbet sucks

handy
    handy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by nenad View Post
    nordicbet sucks
    You are definitly right! please go http://nordicbetsucks.blogspot.com/