Yabatumba
    Yabatumba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Europe rocked by fresh match-fixing scandal

AFP - 20 November 2009

BOCHUM, Germany (AFP) - Around 200 football matches in nine European countries including at least three Champions League games are implicated in a new match-fixing scandal, German prosecutors said on Friday.
    UEFA expert Peter Limacher told a press conference in Germany that the revelations represented "clearly" the worst ever match-fixing scandal in European football.
    The suspect matches took place in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Turkey, Hungary, Bosnia-Hercegovina and Austria, netting criminals several million euros (dollars) in betting profits, prosecutors believe.
    They include 12 matches this season from the Europa League, formerly known as the UEFA Cup, one qualifying game for the under-21 European championship and four from the German second division.
    Police carried out around 50 raids on Thursday in Germany, Britain, Switzerland and Austria, arresting 15 people in Germany and two in Switzerland. More than a million euros in cash and property were seized.
    A network of some 200 people is suspected of influencing matches and placing bets on them with bookmakers in Europe and Asia. Prosecutors have reason to believe that players, coaches, referees and officials were offered bribes.
    Two of those arrested in Thursday included two Croatian brothers living in Berlin, Ante and Milan Sapina, who were at the centre of a match-fixing scandal that rocked Germany in 2004, newspapers said.
    Harald Stenger, a spokesman for the German Football Federation (DFB), said on Thursday: "As far as the DFB knows, no German matches are affected."
    But prosecutors are scrutinising 32 matches in Germany, including two in the second division, three in the third, 23 games in regional leagues and two under-19 clashes.
    German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported that one of the games being investigates was a friendly between German side SSV Ulm against Fenerbahce Istanbul in July.
    The Turkish side won 5-0, and investigators suspect that "certain currently unidentified SSV Ulm players" received more than 10,000 euros (14,900 dollars) each to throw the game, the paper said.
    Ulm's manager Markus Loesch told Bild. "Looking at how the game panned out, I can't see how it (throwing the game) could have happened," Loesch said.
    The team's goalkeeper Holger Betz agreed: "At the beginning we had two good chances. After the first goal, it was all over. We could have lost by an even greater margin."
    Reports also said that the ring was believed to have placed enormous bets with Asian bookmakers, where limits on the sums that punters can gamble are as much as 30,000 euros (45,000 dollars), much higher than in Europe.
    The 2004 German scandal saw referee Robert Hoyzer sentenced to two years and five months behind bars after admitting receiving almost 70,000 euros (104,000 dollars) and a plasma television from a Croatian mafia ring to throw games.
    The matches concerned were mainly in the German second and third division, but a German Cup match between first division SV Hamburg and third division Paderborn and a first division match in Turkey were also affected.
    Hoyzer was released after serving half of his sentence. Ante Sapina was jailed for two years and 11 months, while his brother Milan escaped with a suspended sentence.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/N...ixing-scandal/

Yabatumba

See these bloody S.O.B. No wonder why I have been loosing day in & day out for the last few months.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

This doesn't surprise in the slightest.....There have been some very, very dodgy games to say the least in the Europa tournament, none more so than a match between FK Baku and a Latvian side a few months back.

A match that started out with Under 2 1/2 goals priced at -125, after 60 minutes of scoreless play the line now stood at +144. I repeat, scoreless play for an hour yet the line on BetFair had moved from -125 to +144 . Then cue 6 goals in record time, complete with some of the most comically practiced defensive "miscues" I've ever seen.

Even though I despise conspiracy theories, I've always had my suspicions that some games I've been witness to may have been fixed. But of that match I have no doubt whatsoever that the result was pre-determined.

Toit
    Trust me.
    Toit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6775

I'm surprised there are no Greek B-Ethniki matches mentioned.
    Guess that's another maffia ring.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sorry is very easy to fix. I believe it to be very widespread, but usually you can't prove it. I've so often seen defenders not make an effort that I stopped betting on soccer years ago, except for the major tournaments.

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

dark horse, there are literally tens of thousands matches offered by books played in 2009 in europe alone, so let's not overexagerate.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Any major European league the players will be rich enough that they're almost impossible to buy. Greek B and systemic Italian corruption are another matter

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

Am note sur that there is a solution to this TBH. If it continues, it would be logical that bookies offer much reduced limits on lower league games (in which I would include the Europa League/UEFA Cup which is now a joke of a competition), or stop offering odds altogether.

The syndicates though would just move on to other sports (tennis?).

It´s sad but when there is money involved, crime is inevitable

Yabatumba

Quote Originally Posted by Jontheman View Post
    Any major European league the players will be rich enough that they're almost impossible to buy. Greek B and systemic Italian corruption are another matter

Can't you bloody read?

MATCHES UNDER INVESTIGATION

*Champions League: 3
    *Europa League: 12
    *Germany: 32 (second division or lower)
    *Belgium: 17 (second division)
    *Switzerland: 22 (second division)
    *Croatia: 14 (first division)
    *Slovenia: 7 (first division)
    *Turkey: 29 (first division)
    *Hungary: 13 (first division)
    *Bosnia: 8 (first division)
    *Austria: 11 (first division or lower)
    *Under-21 European Championship: Unspecified

Source: German police

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8370748.stm
    Last edited by Yabatumba; 11-20-09 at 03:13 PM.

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Yabatumba View Post
    Can't you bloody read?

MATCHES UNDER INVESTIGATION

*Champions League: 3
    I would wager heavily that these are matches in the qualifying rounds.

Yabatumba

The things is, these are precisely the league we're being purposely fooled to bet on now a days.

Toit
    Trust me.

It looks like Diagoras might beat Ilioupoli this weekend.

noyb

Quote Originally Posted by Yabatumba View Post
    Can't you bloody read?
    as dunder said, 99% likelihood these were qualifying matches between eastern european clubs nobody has ever heard of. so not the sharpest of posts here.

noyb

Quote Originally Posted by Toit View Post
    It looks like Diagoras might beat Ilioupoli this weekend.
    on the other hand, it took someone on bf only 10k euro to get the odds from 3's to 1.6's, not very convincing. books are so uptight about greek 2nd league football being fixed they hardly take any bets when nothing is happening and immediately throw them out of their offer with only the smallest of moves. someone wanting to make a buck manipulating the market (and there have been a few of those lately) and let everybody think something is wrong would be having a field day here.

Toit
    Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by noyb View Post
    on the other hand, it took someone on bf only 10k euro to get the odds from 3's to 1.6's, not very convincing. books are so uptight about greek 2nd league football being fixed they hardly take any bets when nothing is happening and immediately throw them out of their offer with only the smallest of moves. someone wanting to make a buck manipulating the market (and there have been a few of those lately) and let everybody think something is wrong would be having a field day here.
    Fair enough, we'll see

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Most these games are so obscure you woudn't have even noticed them like mid-summer friendlies, great games lol

When amateur teams play a game that's listed in a book its a big opportunity for them and those involved to cash in, the books are upset but Fifa will sweep it under the carpet, fixing is rife in smaller leagues, rare in leagues which pay decent wages, there is no point fixing games when your paid 100K a week.
    Last edited by Karayilan9; 11-20-09 at 04:39 PM.

mihaita666
    mihaita666's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 502

i think real madrid and milan arranged both matches