SPECULATOR 13
    SPECULATOR 13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

I can't believe what i saw on BETFAIR Monday and yesterday!!

Monday night at 8pmE i saw on matchbook bets for 10k,15k and lower for MNF,unfortunately on matchbook they do not tell you how much of these bets are matched?If they do than i do not know where to go to find out.
    Yesterday with the NHL the bets on matchy where basically around 500$ to 1k on average still with no matched or unmatched numbers.
    Than i check the ubiquitous BETMAKER,weather it is Sunday or MNF you will see some pretty potent number in the 25k+ area(NFL) in the unmatched numbers tally but in the matched number results:you'll be hard to find anymore matching more than 3k.Even for the NHL yesterday they had people willing to lay it down but few takers.
    How can that be?who are these people putting out all this money that is never matched?,is it bookmaker that is laying it's own money to attract people?
    I wish SBR would bother to look into BETMAKER and give the last word on that situation,however for some reason in spite of all our requests they don't seem to give a f.ck.
    Finally again on Monday just for fun i went to check those BetFair assh.les,lord knows how much i despise these c.cksuckers wishing for them to totally collapse because of their ridiculous,annoying and dangerous ID policy.Never forget if someone ever bust into their database and retrieve your info with everything that these f.cks have on you,you'll be in for a very rough time trying to get out of it if your ID get stolen,never forget that!
    However "one must give to Caesar,what belongs to Caesar" or maybe i was just hallucinating but on Monday night around 8.10pmE i saw on betfair that they had 374,000us$ matched for the Pittsburgh vs Denver(money line)
    54000us$
    matched Pitts/Den +2.5(spread)
    40000us$ matched Pitts/Den +3.0(spread)
    furthermore if that wasn't wild enough yesterday for the NHL at 7:15pmE i saw for the Calgary vs Montreal 20k U.S.$ MATCHED and the Bruins /Penguins for 18k+MATCHED and the other games where in the 10 -15k area!!???
    Can that be possible?Did anybody else see this?
    I was always aware that these betfair f.ck face where getting allot of action with soccer but we are talking about the NFL and the NHL for f.ck sakes.where they lying ?i don't put anything past them but could these numbers be real?
    Last edited by SPECULATOR 13; 11-11-09 at 08:20 AM.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Being in the US, I rarely look at Betfairs markets. I always assumed with their high commissions that there would be some matching of US spread sports, but that the numbers would be pretty low as the commission would make books like Pinnacle more appealing.

It seems like horses and various moneylines is where BetFair would shine.

Dunder
    Dunder's Avatar Become A Pro!

You will find quite substantial liquidity on Betfair for those NFL matches which are televised live on Sky/C5 in the UK.

With that said you will find that a very substantial proportion of the amounts matched on Betfair is bots trading their way into the desired position. As such it is quite misleading.
    Last edited by Dunder; 11-11-09 at 09:26 AM.

Toit
    Trust me.
    Toit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6775

You also have to divide the matched amount by two because they count both sides.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Spec, it's quite common for matched bets on Football to reach into the millions, on the moneyline at least. In fact, it's a virtual certainty for MNF, as well as the late Sunday game and any games that are being offered Live over on Pinnacle as well.

SPECULATOR 13

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpage View Post
    Spec, it's quite common for matched bets on Football to reach into the millions, on the moneyline at least. In fact, it's a virtual certainty for MNF, as well as the late Sunday game and any games that are being offered Live over on Pinnacle as well.
    Stumpy i would have never guest that to be possible for U.S. sports when they don't take American bets,can you imagine what will happen when the silly internet law is repealed?

Quote Originally Posted by Toit View Post
    You also have to divide the matched amount by two because they count both sides.
    Toit with all the king's man even if you divide these numbers by 2 it is still impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunder View Post
    You will find quite substantial liquidity on Betfair for those NFL matches which are televised live on Sky/C5 in the UK.

With that said you will find that a very substantial proportion of the amounts matched on Betfair is bots tradingtheir way into the desired position. As such it is quite misleading.
    Dunder old chum pardon my ignorance but what is bots trading?

For ex: tonight the Anaheim/N.J.Devils game as $30,701 usd Matched that's mind boggling for hockey even if divide by 2=is still 15K...no?

Dunder

Quote Originally Posted by SPECULATOR 13;2****17
    Dunder old chum pardon my ignorance but what is bots trading?
    On an exchange platform, many traders have automated programs (i.e. bots) which
    simply trade on the the users behalf to a certain position. Most of the bots will be ´looking´ for a no risk profit. Whilst this does add liquidity (and is overall a good thing, IMHO) it means that the amounts being matched are not a true reflection of the amounts being risked.

If you want to see real liquidity, have a look at a big English Premiership match. The amount matched for the Chelsea v Man Utd match on Sunday was in excess of GBP 20 million (I would guess, though that the true amount being risked was around 10-15 percent of this).

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13676

Tennis is another big one, of course. Nadal-Alamgro(sp?) was up to $23,000,000 traded by the end of today's match. More impressive being the fact that it's only a 3rd round match, and with all due respect to the Paribas Masters, it is certainly not what one would call a Grand Slam event.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Betfair is awsome, its a shame Americans can't use it or else the American sports would be better.

reno cool
    the meaning of harm
    reno cool's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't see what's so surprising. You are talking total action right? Plus, some can be making bets on both sides and be exposing themselves for a small fraction of their total bet.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

those # are tiny.

betfair will match 100million on a grand slam tennis match final

you have any idea how much is bet on MNF every week? pinny had 50k maxes all weekend on that game this week, they surely took a hell of lot more than 300k of action on that game alone.

nemo0000
    nemo0000's Avatar Become A Pro!

The biggest matched amount I have saw was on tennis the final of Wimbledon. 60 millions
    Even thow in tennis there are a lot of traders I think that at least an 30 percent was risk betting.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Any half decent tennis fmatch that's bet live in running will stack up big cash. Betfair has a LOT of in-running tennis traders (just check the tennis forum there). In running cricket also sometimes takes big cash, although that's probably more a result of a match lasting up to 5 days.

Dunder

Just for the benefit of the OP, here is an example of just how misleading the "matched" figure really is.
    Note that the amount I have matched (Back and lay combined) is approx. GBP 1250 (thus it accounts for approx. GBP 2500 of the total when the counterparty is included) my exposure though is only GBP 121 (i.e. about 5 percent).

SPECULATOR 13

Quote Originally Posted by Dunder View Post
    Just for the benefit of the OP, here is an example of just how misleading the "matched" figure really is.
    Note that the amount I have matched (Back and lay combined) is approx. GBP 1250 (thus it accounts for approx. GBP 2500 of the total when the counterparty is included) my exposure though is only GBP 121 (i.e. about 5 percent).
    Dundy thanks for your very expensive and thorough explanations but at a certain point when the gambling thing and all of it's terms become too complicated a switch in my primitive mind get switch-off,in order for me to dumb things down so i can understand.
    Therefore last Monday,for MNF 375K was MATCHED,AS Toit said you divided by 2 so if you showed up with 150k bet (or even more)you would be matched,weather it is with a single bet(150k) or with a bunch of 150$,250$,500$,1k,10k,etc, "at the end of the day"your bet will be matched because of the liquidity,right?
    Same for the NHL the day after,
    for the MTL Canadians/Calgary Flames game 20k was presumably matched on the Money Line alone,divide by 2 basically = 10k each side,therefore if you bet 10k since they where able to match 20k even if it is "only" 10k on each sides the liquidity is such that a 10k NHL BET can be easily matched right? If that is the case with all the kings man for a NHL game,that's insanely high...for that matter 150k for a lonely MNF game is also very impressively high IMO anyway.

Toit
    Trust me.
    Toit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6775

Quote Originally Posted by SPECULATOR 13 View Post

Therefore last Monday,for MNF 375K was MATCHED,AS Toit said you divided by 2 so if you showed up with 150k bet (or even more)you would be matched,weather it is with a single bet(150k) or with a bunch of 150$,250$,500$,1k,10k,etc, "at the end of the day"your bet will be matched because of the liquidity,right?
    Not really, if the price is right there will be many more people taking the offered odds.

Only 2000 of your 150K might get matched and the rest will end up on the lay side waiting to be matched, or not since somebody asking 148K to be matched will make a market twitchy and will probably force the price down.

Dunder

Quote Originally Posted by SPECULATOR 13 View Post
    Dundy thanks for your very expensive and thorough explanations but at a certain point when the gambling thing and all of it's terms become too complicated a switch in my primitive mind get switch-off,in order for me to dumb things down so i can understand.
    Same for the NHL the day after,
    for the MTL Canadians/Calgary Flames game 20k was presumably matched on the Money Line alone,divide by 2 basically = 10k each side,therefore if you bet 10k since they where able to match 20k even if it is "only" 10k on each sides the liquidity is such that a 10k NHL BET can be easily matched right? If that is the case with all the kings man for a NHL game,that's insanely high...for that matter 150k for a lonely MNF game is also very impressively high IMO anyway.
    No, I think you have misunderstood.

You have absolutely no chance of getting bets of that size matched on Betfair for US Sports.

The matched figure refers to bets which have already been matched. The amounts currently available to back/lay are the small figures underneath the odds.

From experience (again referring to matches which are televised in the UK), the biggest bet you will get done is GBP 5-10k for NFL and 5-6k for NBA and 1-2k for NHL, assuming the odds are at the current market level. But even then you would need to "drip feed". it in

In general Matchmaker does still offer better liquidity for these events.

As others have mentioned, you would get a GBP 100k bet easily matched for events/sports which are more popular in Europe (not that I have ever placed a 100k bet!)