BHS
    BHS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 476

NJ Legalized Sports Betting

Court rules in favor of sports betting in NJ.

More information:

covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=299614

So Sports betting in NJ is legal now?

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

No. This was bad news for sports betting in NJ. Read the article. The sports leagues are going to sue NJ and argue try and stop NJ from legalizing sports betting. Even if they wind up losing, this will probably delay things for a long time.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

if the governor of new jersey would have done it in the right manner maybe.... but david stern is a genius in his statements to the court!

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by KGambler View Post
    No. This was bad news for sports betting in NJ. Read the article. The sports leagues are going to sue NJ and argue try and stop NJ from legalizing sports betting. Even if they wind up losing, this will probably delay things for a long time.
    This was nothing important. All this did was affirm that the leagues have standing to sue, doesn't mean they would win if they sued, and it doesn't effect Jerseys hearing on the constitutionality of the 1992 Federal Law. This was just one step in the process that even Christie figured might be ruled this way. There's no way a legitimate Federal court will ever rule that the 1992 law is constitutional, and the leagues know it, they just are delaying the inevitable. I make Jersey a 1/3 favorite to have legal sports betting by next football season.

KGambler
    KGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post
    This was nothing important. All this did was affirm that the leagues have standing to sue, doesn't mean they would win if they sued, and it doesn't effect Jerseys hearing on the constitutionality of the 1992 Federal Law. This was just one step in the process that even Christie figured might be ruled this way. There's no way a legitimate Federal court will ever rule that the 1992 law is constitutional, and the leagues know it, they just are delaying the inevitable. I make Jersey a 1/3 favorite to have legal sports betting by next football season.
    I'm glad to hear this.

I assume they will be able to get an injunction though?

Also, I have no faith in any U.S. court to uphold the constitution. They just rule however the penetrate they want. It's all corruption as far as I am concerned (don't expect you to agree, just my opinion).

But I am glad to hear this wasn't a big deal. I have not been following the story, so I had no idea how expected or unexpected this was.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by KGambler View Post
    I'm glad to hear this.

I assume they will be able to get an injunction though?

Also, I have no faith in any U.S. court to uphold the constitution. They just rule however the penetrate they want. It's all corruption as far as I am concerned (don't expect you to agree, just my opinion).

But I am glad to hear this wasn't a big deal. I have not been following the story, so I had no idea how expected or unexpected this was.
    The sports leagues have a LOT of power. They own many congressman, and Eric Holder, our current Attorney General, used to be a legal rep for the NFL, and we all know he's as crooked as the Nile. So who knows how legit any court proceedings will be, but this particular ruling giving the leagues standing to sue was not a big deal. I like New Jerseys position from a legal standpoint, but the NFL and the other leagues know all the right people. As I said, I make NJ a favorite to get sports gambling by next football season, but It's no lock, as they're going up some powerful people.

And yes, I agree with you, corruption is rampant and true constitutional standings take a back seat to "the back room games". Cases like this are usually 2 corrupt entities seeing who can outsleaze one another.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9450

I'd say the sports lottery is the best NJ will ever do, if they even want that, like Delaware. It's still a big money maker. They might not even get that.

The feds will strong arm whoever they need to to make sure single game betting never happens. No way NJ ever gets this going unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by indio View Post