HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17045

Crap Books on SBR Linetracker

I'm guessing some revenue is derived from Las Palmas, Ehorse, Betus and the like to have their current spreads appear on the SBR free lines. The key word is free, because I do appreciate the service.

But I think it's wrong to display D range (or deranged) Books on a forum that is meant to help bettors avoid suspect outlets. Afterall, where do you draw the line...D+, D, D-?. As an extreme, would you allow an F Book like Cascade to appear on SBR Odds for a fee (make sure to collect in advance)?

I personally think it's a bad business model to give "iffy" Books this type of exposure, and would appreciate some feedback (hopefully constructive).

trixtrix
    trixtrix's Avatar Become A Pro!

i agree, why not just display some euro books instead?

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think you have some good points Hog. Lose a few and add say betfair, but i bet some books won't cooperate. that may be more of the issue in adding books than the "want to" on SBR's part.

Tomato
    Tomato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 618

Don't you dare pull these books. eHorseX's lines are Tomato's biggest moneymaker.

Don't like the books? DON'T BET AT THEM.

Hello, you can CUSTOMIZE the books. Put them on page 3.

The more books the better. Bring them all in, even the F books. Tomato wants to see lines from everyone.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

I don't agree with using questionable books on a line service.

Hypothetical situation:

Joe Blow, who doesn't know a Pinnacle from a pineapple, checks out SBR Odds and sees a book with opinionated lines. Better price than the other books on the fave or dog. Unbeknownst to him, this book has a history of ripping off players. He signs up with them, oblivious to it all.

SBR could argue that they provide plenty of information about books, including warnings about shady books they may have on their line service. This puts the onus on players to do their homework.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Book ratings change. E-Horse could be back at a higher rating. If you don't like a book, why not just put it on page 2 or 3?

headgames
    headgames's Avatar Become A Pro!

I didn't realise sbrodds could be altered so I've now moved the ones I want onto page 1 *bit dumb*

A nice touch for me would be to clearly label the column with the book's rating as well as having the "i" link for the full review as this would be more instant for users rather than having to open up every single one to find out each rating.

I can't comment on any particular listing as my knowledge and experience of US books is quite limited but as a general response to HedgeHog, above the exposure issue I actually think it's the implied legitimisation of the book by being featured on an SBR site which is key especially when financial matters are at the core of the types of business being featured.

HedgeHog
    HedgeHog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17045

Quote Originally Posted by headgames View Post
    I didn't realise SBR Odds could be altered so I've now moved the ones I want onto page 1 *bit dumb*

A nice touch for me would be to clearly label the column with the book's rating as well as having the "i" link for the full review as this would be more instant for users rather than having to open up every single one to find out each rating.

I can't comment on any particular listing as my knowledge and experience of US books is quite limited but as a general response to HedgeHog, above the exposure issue I actually think it's the implied legitimisation of the book by being featured on an SBR site which is key especially when financial matters are at the core of the types of business being featured.
    Exactly my point. I use Page 1 for my top 10 Books, so I rarely see the lines of the D Books I mentioned earlier. I'm just surprised they're featured at all, because there are certainly better Books that deserve SBR Odds status.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

Quote Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
    Tomato wants to see lines from everyone.
    Seconded. Bonus for making me laugh with the 3rd person usage, that's no small feat.

Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

I can definitely identify with all these criticisms. You'll note that we've removed Las Palmas from the SBR Odds book list. In the next release we intend to include each book's SBR Rating. A book's presence on SBR Odds should of course in no way be considered an endorsement.

SBR Odds is first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and foremost a service to our uses. In BetUS's case, the fact is that a lot of player use the book and just want to be able to view their lines for comparison purposes. (I'll also note that BetUS provides a consensus feed for spreads and totals, which users will optionally be able with the next release. Information is power.)

Our loose policy (and it's not a hard and fast one) is basically that as long as a book isn't in no-pay mode, isn't a likely scam operation, is willing and able to provide us with a lines feed, and there's sufficient interest in seeing that book's lines from our users, we'll strongly consider including it on SBR Odds.

As always users are free (and encouraged) to modify book ordering in order to fit their individual needs and preferences. And of course this may be done on a per league, so one could have a different set books for say, CFL and for Women's tennis.