Wboyt
    Wboyt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sending your ID to a book

Is it safe to do this? Sorry if this is a noob question but I am skeptical of sharing my information like this to Bovada. I mean what can they really do with your drivers license?
    Last edited by Wboyt; 12-29-11 at 11:35 PM.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

Quote Originally Posted by Wboyt View Post
    Is it safe to do this? Sorry if this is a noob question but I am skeptical of sharing my information like this to Bovada. I mean what can they really do with your drivers license?
    Verify your identity...

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

You need to send in your ID and other documentations(that they require) for verification so that you can withdraw your money out later on.

John Dough
    John Dough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10136

It's SOP, industry standard.

scott235
    scott235's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by John Dough View Post
    It's SOP, industry standard.
    No, it is not. And this is a very bad idea. I'm not saying there will not be any restrictions if you don't, but let's face it , these books want your money, and will work with you for a deposit. Talk to someone in mgmt, and tell them straight up you are not willing to send this info. Also DO NOT deposit with a CC. Many people have played and do play without doing this. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO GET ALL OF THIS CLEAR BEFORE YOU DEPOSIT. If the book states security issues, ask for an additional WD password for you and the book's protection.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20525

Quote Originally Posted by scott235 View Post
    No, it is not. And this is a very bad idea. I'm not saying there will not be any restrictions if you don't, but let's face it , these books want your money, and will work with you for a deposit. Talk to someone in mgmt, and tell them straight up you are not willing to send this info. Also DO NOT deposit with a CC. Many people have played and do play without doing this. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO GET ALL OF THIS CLEAR BEFORE YOU DEPOSIT. If the book states security issues, ask for an additional WD password for you and the book's protection.
    ID requirements are stipulated in legislation in several jurisdictions.
    Certainly industry standard for all the best and safest books.
    Which books/jurisdictions are you referring to?

scott235

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    ID requirements are stipulated in legislation in several jurisdictions.
    Certainly industry standard for all the best and safest books.
    Which books/jurisdictions are you referring to?
    Wboyt, Make sure that you email your concerns and then call the books you are interested in playing with. Almost all will be willing to work with you. Always remember that you are posting cash upfront, and talk to people in management only.

Hareeba!

Wboyt, Make sure that you email your concerns and then call the books you are interested in playing with. Almost all will be willing to work with you. Always remember that you are posting cash upfront, and talk to people in management only.

Have you actually attempted to do that with any UK or Aussie books?
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 12-30-11 at 03:54 PM.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's totally industry standard. Even the books who don't have KYC regulations up the dairy air want to minimize CC and identity fraud.

Talk to someone in mgmt, and tell them straight up you are not willing to send this info. Also DO NOT deposit with a CC.
    If you're sending cash only to a book with an eager sales agent and withdrawing the same way, maybe you don't have to show ID but it's just not realistic to expect you won't have to at some point.

Wboyt

The book I am referring to is Bovada.

Hareeba!

The book I am referring to is Bovada.
    shouldn't be a concern on that score

michael777
    michael777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3128

i have sent my documents around 100 times to books,never had a problem in 12 years of doing it

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29066

deposit via p2p and u never have to go through the BS verification crap

so much easier that way

pwm
    pwm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

So if u deposit via moneybookers, is there a need to verify ID or not?

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
    So if u deposit via moneybookers, is there a need to verify ID or not?
    you certainly have to verify your ID with Moneybookers in the first place
    then depending on the book and jurisdiction, ID verification requirements will differ
    some will need nothing more, others such as in the UK and Australia still have to comply with local laws

pwm
    pwm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

then depending on the book and jurisdiction, ID verification requirements will differ
    some will need nothing more, others such as in the UK and Australia still have to comply with local laws
    Yeah I use moneybookers from AU and some books still want ID... eg deposited into sports interaction using moneybookers, still want passport, etc.

benandjerry
    benandjerry's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hareeba, you're maybe the poster who contribute with the best posts of knowledge on this forum and I always pay attention to what you have to say, and you may very well be right that UK books 'should' require ID verifications even when moneybookers is used as the funding method, but this has never happend to me. Not with UK sites (including both poker and sportsbetting sites), and not with any other, as far as I can remember, havent been with any AU ones though. I have verified my account with moneybookers of course, and I believe one key is always using the same moneybookers for both deposits and withdrawals (sometimes even the same email as you used to register the account at the book in question, pinny for example).

I've had to provide ID for other purposes at a couple of sites though, 5d for forgetting pw (who doesnt have a reset pw via email feature doh), and bank wires at some other sites, but really not for moneybookers yet, it should be said that I dont have an account at like every book there is, but I have been at quite a few sites over the years.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by benandjerry View Post
    Hareeba, you're maybe the poster who contribute with the best posts of knowledge on this forum and I always pay attention to what you have to say, and you may very well be right that UK books 'should' require ID verifications even when moneybookers is used as the funding method, but this has never happend to me. Not with UK sites (including both poker and sportsbetting sites), and not with any other, as far as I can remember, havent been with any AU ones though. I have verified my account with moneybookers of course, and I believe one key is always using the same moneybookers for both deposits and withdrawals (sometimes even the same email as you used to register the account at the book in question, pinny for example).

I've had to provide ID for other purposes at a couple of sites though, 5d for forgetting pw (who doesnt have a reset pw via email feature doh), and bank wires at some other sites, but really not for moneybookers yet, it should be said that I dont have an account at like every book there is, but I have been at quite a few sites over the years.
    hmmm , okay perhaps they have some exemption which permits the acceptance of Moneybookers as a proxy for doing it themselves? But I know that they do have strict KYC requirements to fulfil one way or another.

Just look at the several threads about Bet365 in particular and the difficulty people have had with them. Maybe others who haven't used Moneybookers to fund a new UK bookie account recently can advise what they found to be the case?

To be honest it is several years since I last opened an account with a UK bookie and maybe I didn't use Moneybookers initially with some of them but I'm pretty certain that they all required ID verification at the time.

AFTERTHOUGHT:
    Perhaps the issue is that what I have long regarded as UK bookies are now regulated elsewhere?
    e.g. Gibraltar, Malta etc. and they thus don't have the same KYC requirements I encountered when I opened accounts with them.
    Which "UK books" were you referring to ben?
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 12-30-11 at 06:19 PM.

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

I understand that there are regulations apparently for UK/Aussie books re: demanding ID for withdrawals (and hopefully this is all clearly stated when one joins).

But for books dealing with USA citizens -

If I deposit cash (not using a cc), and then want to withdraw to the same user name and address as I joined the book with , send in the request to the book via the same email address I used when I joined the book, and ask for payment to my name or to a bank account with my name, there is no legitimate reason for a book to request personal ID.

It's great that some people here freely provide such ID and have had no problems.
    But many do have identity theft problems, and clearing it up can take years.It's resulted in ruined credit, even being falsely arrested.
    Last edited by Scooter; 12-30-11 at 08:05 PM.

Wboyt

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    It's great that some people here freely provide such ID and have had no problems.
    But many do have identity theft problems, and clearing it up can take years.It's resulted in ruined credit, even being falsely arrested.
    This is what I am worried about.

Hareeba!

This is what I am worried about.
    so stick with the most reputable books

scott235

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    It's totally industry standard. Even the books who don't have KYC regulations up the dairy air want to minimize CC and identity fraud.

If you're sending cash only to a book with an eager sales agent and withdrawing the same way, maybe you don't have to show ID but it's just not realistic to expect you won't have to at some point.
    ...as I said, deal with management, and even better get a rep assigned to your account. Again, it is very important how you set up the account. Do it right, and you help the book's security as well. Be careful, esp considering the state of the industry. Wboyt, get everything in writing and save your emails.

benandjerry
    benandjerry's Avatar Become A Pro!

hmmm , okay perhaps they have some exemption which permits the acceptance of Moneybookers as a proxy for doing it themselves? But I know that they do have strict KYC requirements to fulfil one way or another.

Just look at the several threads about Bet365 in particular and the difficulty people have had with them. Maybe others who haven't used Moneybookers to fund a new UK bookie account recently can advise what they found to be the case?

To be honest it is several years since I last opened an account with a UK bookie and maybe I didn't use Moneybookers initially with some of them but I'm pretty certain that they all required ID verification at the time.

AFTERTHOUGHT:
    Perhaps the issue is that what I have long regarded as UK bookies are now regulated elsewhere?
    e.g. Gibraltar, Malta etc. and they thus don't have the same KYC requirements I encountered when I opened accounts with them.
    Which "UK books" were you referring to ben?
    I'm really not sure how they judge different cases, maybe they are able to cooperate with moneybookers directly and compare account details from where the funds came from or maybe they can deem you already been "identified" when you have gone through MB's ID process (as long as they will only send withdrawals back to the very same account the deposit came from, some are strict with this, some arent in my experience), and maybe those that happend to move didnt update addresses on one account or something. I can really only speculate.

I know moneybookers are regulated by the FSA and were very strict about what docs they would accept and whatnot (receipts with name and addy on for instance is a no go). Multiple other sites that has required docs from me has been less strict (for other reasons than moneybookers), even though I'm guessing they might be under the same or similar regulations.

Ladbrokes, bet365, betfair, purple lounge, bwin comes to mind instantly, there are probably some more I cant think of as I rarely use them, and I'm not sure they'd be considered UK books, but def EU ones... As for where they have their license, I would guess most have them outside UK.