cyberinvestor
    cyberinvestor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Does Pinnacle REALLY not have collars?

I know the going belief is they do not have limit collars and I understand that Pinnacle has a dynamic system that allows them to move lines and get the sharpest line. Because of that system they are willing to take all action and at very high limits. However is it really true that they don't collar anyone? I have to believe good handicappers would take Pinnacle for a ride regardless of how sharp the line and Pinnacle would have not choice but to limit them or be paying them $200,000+ every week. Curious of any actual experiences or what guys like Justin7 know about Pinnacle in this way as he may have first hand experiences.

John Dough
    John Dough's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10136

Without going into detail, Pinnacle has ways of making money from winning bettors who may be beating them to offset those losses.

In short, the owners of Pinny are doing just fine under their current set-up.

cyberinvestor

Thanks John. Was curious how it all worked out. Figured there had to be some catch because even the sharpest line can be beat and without limits wasn't sure what stops a player from putting in multiple bets to have $500,000 on a team in NFL at various lines.

For example this past weekend to take Seattle (a big dog outright so line moves wouldn't matter) +11, +10.5, +10, and so on at $50,000 or $100,000 a piece (whatever the Pinnacle limit) and build a $500,000 or $1,000,000 position. Yeah not many players are at that level but there are some.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

When they are worried at all abt a particular market/game they just limit the max bet allowed by anyone--for example low limits on some MMA matches. I do not bet five figures there so I can not say if they would limit on alt lines or something like that. This is where Cris tends to get nervous, but never saw it with Pinny.

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1036

They slashed limits on CFL and Arena this year...and when they open WNBA early it can be for $250 limits. So they certainly do manage risk. I have always heard that they bet out, but always found it a little weird. Who books Pinnacle?

cyberinvestor

Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    They slashed limits on CFL and Arena this year...and when they open WNBA early it can be for $250 limits. So they certainly do manage risk. I have always heard that they bet out, but always found it a little weird. Who books Pinnacle?

Yeah because BetFair is probably the only major market but BetFair has little volume for US sports. Soccer they could definitely lay at BF.

Stefan
    Stefan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 109116

I don't think that Pinnacle has different limits on alternative lines. They close alternative lines when there are to big moves in the market. That's what they do in soccer.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

Hard to kick Pinny's ass when limits start out at 250 and move up incrementally 500, 1000, 2000 etc.

Bizzen123
    Bizzen123's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hope pinnacle never copy all of the euro-books regarding betting limits. Then Im out of business.

cyberinvestor

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzen123 View Post
    I hope pinnacle never copy all of the euro-books regarding betting limits. Then Im out of business.
    Yeah I guess that is what I am curious about. It's funny that we have one book (Pinnacle) that will let you bet over and over again at the max. Sure the max might start low but on a Sunday if a big player wants to go wild on an NFL game they can do it $50,000 at a time and allegedly Pinnacle will never limit them.

You can rebet at 5Dimes but 5Dimes is known to quickly limit winning players.

You cannot rebet at Bookmaker and Bookmaker's limits are half of Pinnacle's (even before rebet is considered).

The style 5Dimes or Bookmaker uses is what I would expect from a book despite thinking they should not limit players. However Pinnacle is such an entirely different bird that I just find it all pretty amazing. They'll take bets at high limits and never give you a limit. Amazing. It is a true oddity in sports gambling.

wrongturn
    Update your status
    wrongturn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3726

It is impressive but nothing to be surprised. It is not like there exists a player who can hit >60% on NFL Sunday lines all the time. Plus they move line to attract enough counter actions.

Jontheman
    Jontheman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4073

Well at that volume of action you can book one side at -105, move your line and book the other side at +105 and still be making money. How? Just think of the volume of money that has to be sitting in Pinny bank accounts all season ready to pound those lines, and how much interest it must make...

in play, run(s)
    in play, run(s)'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Yes, they limit winning players, but not heavily

increasedodds
    increasedodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Guys betting $50k per bet are not playing on cash.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

I have often wondered this. They must however, have a nice little pool of massive whales.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Quote Originally Posted by cyberinvestor View Post
    Yeah I guess that is what I am curious about. It's funny that we have one book (Pinnacle) that will let you bet over and over again at the max. Sure the max might start low but on a Sunday if a big player wants to go wild on an NFL game they can do it $50,000 at a time and allegedly Pinnacle will never limit them.

You can rebet at 5Dimes but 5Dimes is known to quickly limit winning players.

You cannot rebet at Bookmaker and Bookmaker's limits are half of Pinnacle's (even before rebet is considered).

The style 5Dimes or Bookmaker uses is what I would expect from a book despite thinking they should not limit players. However Pinnacle is such an entirely different bird that I just find it all pretty amazing. They'll take bets at high limits and never give you a limit. Amazing. It is a true oddity in sports gambling.
    yeah but 50k isnt a lot of money for them. At -104 100k of balanced action brings in $1900, probably less than that is actually realized too. 50k for whales is also nothing, and if you are a millionare/billionaire degen sports bettor where do you play? Pinnacle.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by John Dough View Post
    Without going into detail, Pinnacle has ways of making money from winning bettors who may be beating them to offset those losses.

In short, the owners of Pinny are doing just fine under their current set-up.
    They lay off on other books. At least that is what Konik implies in the smart money when he's bearding for walters.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by in play, run(s) View Post
    I've never seen them limit individual players. Chop limits on the whole sport because of a player, yes... but not that one player.

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Quote Originally Posted by increasedodds View Post
    Guys betting $50k per bet are not playing on cash.
    what about betting syndicates? they're betting 100-150k per game.

Winner_13
    Winner_13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1087

granchrow got limited

increasedodds
    increasedodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

If you bet $50k at +11, 50k at +10.5, 50k at +10, 50k at +9.5, 50k at +9 you are a bookmakers dream

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

Quote Originally Posted by in play, run(s) View Post
    This is not true. Pinnacle does not limit winning players.

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

I have to believe good handicappers would take Pinnacle for a ride regardless of how sharp the line and Pinnacle would have not choice but to limit them or be paying them $200,000+ every week.
    Figured there had to be some catch because even the sharpest line can be beat and without limits wasn't sure what stops a player from putting in multiple bets to have $500,000 on a team in NFL at various lines.

For example this past weekend to take Seattle (a big dog outright so line moves wouldn't matter) +11, +10.5, +10, and so on at $50,000 or $100,000 a piece (whatever the Pinnacle limit) and build a $500,000 or $1,000,000 position.
    CyberInvestor, what dream world do you reside in that makes you believe that beating sharp lines is as easy as eating chocolate cake?

Regardless of what you have been led to believe, the lines for NFL games are as sharp as they come which is why the limits offered on them are so high.

The absolute best handicappers on the planet aren't going to win more than 57%-58% of their NFL selections.

If the line set is right (sharp), then most winning gamblers have no reason to bet into it. You would be surprised at what goes on before larger limits are taken on NFL games.

Pinnacle would have no choice but to pay them $200,000+ every week, LOL. Funny stuff!!!