portsbo
    portsbo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paddypower stitch up.

Hey guys. New poster seeking some advice.

In a nutshell I previously had an account with PaddyPower but at the time needed to close it. I tried to open an account today and it let me even asking at one point if I had signed up to pp previously.

Anyway it also let me pay in £30. I had three winners on horse racing and turned the £30 into £100. I then tried to log on later on and am told account is closed and they will refund the £30.

Cant help but think this happened because I had a very good night that was purely luck. I am no horse racing expert. If I had lost and kept losing would the same thing have happened. I doubt it tbh.

Basically I need any advice you guys can give me. Its not really about the money more the principal that the bets were legit and only when I won did a problem occur.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

What did you respond to the question whether you had signed up previously?
    Did you get any sign up bonus either time?
    Why did you have to close your first account rather than just withdraw your funds?

portsbo

Cheers for replying mate.

Being the honest type I said yes thinking if they stop me here fairs fair.

Yeah I got the bonus first time round.

Nothing this time. Wasnt expecting one as had account previously.

Had a sketchy work situation back then so was gambling more than I could afford.

Much better work situation now and really betting within my means.

Should also say that I have emails from them extolling the virtues of opening a new account long after first one was closed.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by portsbo View Post
    Cheers for replying mate.

Being the honest type I said yes thinking if they stop me here fairs fair.

Yeah I got the bonus first time round.

Nothing this time. Wasnt expecting one as had account previously.

Had a sketchy work situation back then so was gambling more than I could afford.

Much better work situation now and really betting within my means.

Should also say that I have emails from them extolling the virtues of opening a new account long after first one was closed.
    In that case, it seems to me that you have a fair gripe. What was their reason for denying you your winnings ?

If they don't change their mind you should file a complaint with SBR or IBAS.

portsbo

Yeah mate. Glad you agree with what Im saying. Im thinking of IBAS etc. Im playing hardball tbh. I easily think I could get this in my local paper at least. You read all these stories where someone is allowed to put on a bet that shouldnt have been or a major pricing error was there. I think its a much better story if the bets were straight up and they are flat out denying me winnings. Ive got to think that no bookie wants any publicity where they are seen to be welching on legit bets. Cheers for your help. Its only £70 pound to them but its three quality winners for me.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Did you self-exclude last time you had an account ?

portsbo

Yeah I did. But as I say they have been sending me emails about opening an account and I think they should have been able to detect me straight away today. Both bet365 and Ladbrokes for example instantly identify you and say ring customer services. A big firm like paddypower need a better detection system if they are gonna be so millitant.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO

http://www.paddypower.com/iframe/con.../index_en.html

Self Exclusion:
    When a customer requests that their account be closed due to the fact that they believe they are gambling excessively, Paddy Power will close the account and will do all that it can to prevent new accounts being opened by that customer in the future.

I say they are correct here - you asked them not to take anymore bets from you ... they have stood by that agreement .. if they hadn't - you could be on here complaining that they should refund your losses because you had previously told them to exclude you.

If you used a different email account contact number or anything else .. I can see how it may have been easy for them to let an account slip though - but once they knew it was you - bets were cancelled and money was refunded...

portsbo

I have and never will try and get money back on a losing bet. Legally like all bookies they have us punters over a barrel. Reading there self appointed rules is actually quite scary in that they can very much do what they want. They are only major firm I have ever come across where a self exclusion is permanant. I dont even want the £30 if they will not pay the winnings as well. Its not about the money just a bookie hiding behind their rules and breaking the spirit that bets placed in a fair manner are honored.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO

Legally like all bookies they have us punters over a barrel. Reading there self appointed rules is actually quite scary in that they can very much do what they want. They are only major firm I have ever come across where a self exclusion is permanant. I dont even want the £30 if they will not pay the winnings as well. Its not about the money just a bookie hiding behind their rules and breaking the spirit that bets placed in a fair manner are honored.

Yup - UK bookies will always win long-term .. rules are in their favor .. you're too good for them, they close your account ... their rules say that you can specify a time frame for exclusion, or if no time frame is specified then it is permanent. They also say that you can set spending limits on your account. If you email customer service asking to have the self exclusion removed and your account reinstated .. most bookies will allow you back one time and one time only ... (A friend self-excluded from betfair twice and now is unable to ever have an account there.)

Hareeba!

The self exclusion issue certainly puts the case into a new dimension but I still maintain you have a legitimate claim.

"Paddy Power will close the account and will do all that it can to prevent new accounts being opened by that customer in the future."

The fact that they emailed you with offers to open an account and then in fact allowed you to do so and make bets means they have clearly failed in that undertaking. They are at fault.

Press on with your claim.
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 06-21-11 at 09:08 PM.

portsbo

Yeah its a load of rubbish. Im gonna play the bad publicity card to the full. I think that was my major problem 3 out of 6 horse selections right. Prices 5/1, 10/1, 11/2. Blatantly flagged me up somehow. I reckon they have some pretty sophisticated software for spotting people who are very good/lucky. Just glad I had singles and not trebles lol.

portsbo

Again cheers pal. Need firebrands to tell me im right. I am gonna fight it tbh. I had a wicked time watching those horses win. Feels wrong that I dont get my money. Bed time for me. Very late in Uk.

portsbo

I have emailed this site to try to force paddypowers hand. I notice they have form for being a bit dodgy so hope a respected third party will make them see how petty they are being.

Ruifgalmeida
    Ruifgalmeida's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

I dont think you have a case- you can not open a second account it is in their rules ,so they cancel all your bets a return the money, it is a standard in euro bookies.

Ruifgalmeida

anyway fill out a complain here at sbr maybe you get lucky

leon
    leon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Paddy power is one of the most solid books of england.I think it s a simple mistake and nothing more.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Paddy power is one of the most solid books of england.I think it s a simple mistake and nothing more.
    Paddy is not English

portsbo

I disagree. Both Ladbrokes and Bet365 have blocks put in place to alert anyone trying to open a second acount that they have to contact customer services. I dont find it solid that they sent me promotional material after they had in their words permanantly closed my acount. Also any bookmaker with a zero tolerance policy on people who have previously self excluded need a better filter system to prevent this problem from happening. They say if my bets had lost they would have refunded the money. I dont believe this for a second. What if I had lost £300? Final point in the sign up process there is a question 'have you registered with Paddy Power before?' I answered yes. Why is that question there if it does not prevent you opening a second acount. There system stinks. In terms of its effectiveness and I feel its down right dishonest.

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

paddy power are pathetic.

portsbo

Hey Chubnut. Have they ripped you off as well?

portsbo

Been online and see plenty of evidence of paddypower being tight fisted and doing as they please. Limiting stakes seems to be a big problem. Wonder what 'rule' they hide behind to enforce this?

Ruifgalmeida

you can not open a second account in Paddy power or any book online
    When you open a second account you are giving the book a reason for not paying you and in same cases to keep your deposit.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruifgalmeida View Post
    you can not open a second account in Paddy power or any book online
    When you open a second account you are giving the book a reason for not paying you and in same cases to keep your deposit.
    It wasn't a second account. The first one was closed and was history.
    How about reading at least the first post, if not the rest of the thread before posting irrelevant comments?

portsbo

Nah not the end at all. This sight are looking into it for me. There are many extenuating circumstances to my situation. If you look on this site PaddyPower scammed people where they cancilled bonus money and this site got them to reverse it. They blatantly waited to see if my bets won before they voided them. It is clear to me that PP try to get out of paying customers at all oppurtunities. Im persuing it so im ignoring your posts. Any company will try and get away with giving you as little as possible. The only way to get what you are owed or compensation is to complain and not go away.

portsbo

Nice one Hareeba. My thoughts exactly lol.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

You can write them a letter or call them to re open your initial account, stating why you closed it and why they should grant re opening it. I have had a very similar situation to you and closed an account then called and wrote to them, i even signed a letter scanned it and sent it in. they re opened my account. I did not do this with paddy power though but its worth trying.

lukahh
    lukahh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    The self exclusion issue certainly puts the case into a new dimension but I still maintain you have a legitimate claim.

"Paddy Power will close the account and will do all that it can to prevent new accounts being opened by that customer in the future."

The fact that they emailed you with offers to open an account and then in fact allowed you to do so and make bets means they have clearly failed in that undertaking. They are at fault.

Press on with your claim.
    and will do all that it can to prevent new accounts being opened by that customer in the future.

yes, very good point. they were still bombarding someone who wanted to self-exclude, thus luring him into gambling wave again.

not sure if payment is due here, but certain fine from authorities shurely should be.

Ruifgalmeida

Quote Originally Posted by brettels View Post
    You can write them a letter or call them to re open your initial account, stating why you closed it and why they should grant re opening it. I have had a very similar situation to you and closed an account then called and wrote to them, i even signed a letter scanned it and sent it in. they re opened my account. I did not do this with paddy power though but its worth trying.
    if you self exclude yourself the only way to bet in the same site is write to them saying that you want your account reopen. I have done it in the past with bwin.

Ruifgalmeida

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post

It wasn't a second account. The first one was closed and was history.
    How about reading at least the first post, if not the rest of the thread before posting irrelevant comments?
    yes it a second account issue, we had one in the past.

portsbo

I should state here that I am now fully in control of my gambling. I like many I imagine went a bit mental when I first started gambling approx 4 years ago. However I have now learned to bet within my means. I think from my experience that it is clear that Paddypower make a decision on any duplicate accounts based on wether the person is winning. I guess getting three winners ouy of three at good prices with 1 selection in each race was a bit good for them. The key point in this dispute is the following 'Have you registered with PaddyPower before?' This is in the sign up form that any customer fills in to create a PaddyPower account. I am no computer expert but Im pretty sure they would be instantly aware of anyone who ticked the yes box as I did. Therefore I and Im sure others will have to assume that there were aware I had placed my bets. The whole thing stinks. I manage a bookies and have already written the story for the press in my head. I think it would be a very juicy story possibly at a national level 'Big Bookie Doesnt like winners' lol. Very bad pub.

brettels
    brettels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Ruifgalmeida View Post
    if you self exclude yourself the only way to bet in the same site is write to them saying that you want your account reopen. I have done it in the past with bwin.
    If portsbo did this from the start he Or she would have an account right now with paddy power! Bad luck portsbo! Still suggest you give it a try and please don't turn into a cory1111

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

Hey Chubnut. Have they ripped you off as well?
    turned me over on a game years ago. i didnt have a problem with them saying it was a stale line but only told me after the event, wankers. asked for €100 at 50/1 canada today in the womens world cup and got offered €7.50
    and then I had to listen to a radio show where they were telling everyone about theyre fantasic offers on the event.

my pet hate is how the think tank perpetuates this fantasy enviornment. its murder beating the books and when you do your banned swiftly, constantly opening new accounts in other names only to read how easy it is in the wonderful think tank.

portsbo

Hey Chubnut. They seem to do things the cowardly way by my experience and from what I have read. I really cannot believe that the evil pp did not know about my new account straight away. If not it took 4 hours of me placing bets for them to realise. Doubt it somehow. Its also well dodgy that they can prevent you having acess to the account so if they wanted could probably keep my deposite as well. Crooks plain and simple. Im chilling out a bit now because they dont appear to have ruined my betting mojo. It really is galling that they will refuse to pay my winnings yet they pay losers back all the time.

Ibrakadabra
    Ibrakadabra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

It´s terrible that they keep sending e-mails to you and let you open a new account with the policy they have for self-excluding customers.

Apart from that I think the policy in itself is a very positive thing. They try to prevent people with known gambling problems from gambling, how could that be wrong? And the expectation of such a person being great business for them should be worth so much more than this diff of 70 quid so I really think they´re doing the honest and right thing by showing you the door.

However, of course the full amount should be paid when they didn´t follow their own policy by letting you in.
    Last edited by Ibrakadabra; 06-23-11 at 07:19 PM.

12 Last