Marauders
    Marauders's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1857

Betfair golf matchup question

Hello all,

I have a little situation with a BetFair grading that I am confuse about and I am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on this case.

I have made a bet on Padraig Harrington to win against Robert Karlsson in a golf tournament match play at Betfair. After 72 rounds, both golfers shot +5 which ends in a draw. There is no draw market in this bet offering. My simple mind tells me that a draw should result in my funds being 'cancelled' and I get my full amount back but Betfair treat the result as a dead heat.

Betfair's reply below when I asked them about it:

Upon investigation into your Betfair account username: XXXXXXX concerning your Lay bet US Open 2011 / Tournament Matchbets with your selection of Padraig Harrington, I can confirm that the result was a Dead Heat between Padraig Harrington and Robert Karlsson.
    When there is a Dead Heat between two competitors on Betfair, The winnings are halved to the punters that chose the winning selections.

The amount risk is not substantial but I do want to understand whether their grading is correct so that in the future, I can avoid the same scenario. If anyone can let me know that's normal or have experience similar grading at Betfair, please let me know.

Thanks!

M

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Yes that's the standard UK/Australian policy for such markets..

If you bet at +100 (2.0) it would act as a refund, if you bet a favourite you would lose money and an underdog you would win money. I personally prefer it, as it matches the performance -- your player did better than expected, you win and worse than expected, you lose.
    Points Awarded:

Marauders gave Santo 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

It is correct.

The page on which you placed the bet would have contained a statement to the effect that dead-heat rules apply.

This is pretty well commonplace in sports betting outside of the US if no draw is offered in the market, i.e. no "push".
    Points Awarded:

Marauders gave Hareeba! 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Marauders
    Marauders's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1857

Thanks guys. Learn something new today.

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

"When there is a Dead Heat between two competitors on Betfair, The winnings are halved to the punters that chose the winning selections."

"winning selection" in a dead heat?

Can someone give an example for a Tournament Matchup of Player A -150/Player B +130.

I bet 150 to win 100 on A and I bet 100 to win 130 on B.

How much do I get back from each bet if they are tied after 72 Holes?

Santo
    Santo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Winning selections. In a 12-horse race, if two dead heat for first, there are two winning selections.

On A you'd get 75+50=125 back (lose 25) on B you'd get 50+65 = 115 back (win 15)

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    "When there is a Dead Heat between two competitors on Betfair, The winnings are halved to the punters that chose the winning selections."

"winning selection" in a dead heat?

Can someone give an example for a Tournament Matchup of Player A -150/Player B +130.

I bet 150 to win 100 on A and I bet 100 to win 130 on B.

How much do I get back from each bet if they are tied after 72 Holes?
    half of what you would have got back if you won, i.e. 125 + 115 = 240

Scooter
    Scooter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2064

Thanks guys.