franz555
    franz555's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8821

World Cup 2023 ( W ) - Group Stage

It all starts on July 20th / 2023. My thoughts and wagers on the Group Stage. Appreciate all thoughts , insights and positive input......

Group A : ( Fifa Rankings )

1. Norway ( 12 )
    2. Switzerland ( 20 )
    3. New Zealand ( 26 )
    4. Philipines ( 46 )

I think Norway have a good mix of experience and youthful talent to win the group. The game between The Swiss and New Zealand on July 30th will decide 2nd and advancement imo. Its a thin line between the 2, and home sentiment could sway to a New Zealand upset.

Group B :

1. Australia ( 10 )
    2. Canada ( 7 )
    3. Rep. Ireland ( 22 )
    4. Nigeria ( 40 )

Australia were sensational last World Cup. They caught a lot of people by surprise and upset mighty Brazil. They are on home soil , with a very experienced coaching staff and should battle Canada on July 31st for the Group. The loser of that game should seal the deal on the 2nd spot. Rep. of Ireland are a very scrappy side that keeps it tight at the back and could steal a point.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: adinsin88run

franz555

Group C :

1. Spain ( 6 )
    2. Japan ( 11 )
    3. Costa Rica ( 36 )
    4. Zambia ( 77 )

Spain are one of those teams that are mentioned as possible contenders to the throne. The game against Japan will be the group decider , and i like Spain's superior midfield to win that game. Costa Rica are a step above Zambia but no threat to advance imo

Group D :

1. England ( 4 )
    2. Denmark ( 13 )
    3. China ( 14 )
    4. Haiti ( 53 )

England are a very well balanced side that have the pedigree to win this thing. Denmark are a notch better then China , who havent fared well against European opposition. Haiti will be the doormat that the other teams use to build goal differential.

franz555

Group E :

1. USA ( 1 )
    2. Netherlands ( 9 )
    3. Portugal ( 21 )
    4. Vietnam ( 32 )

Its a very unfortunate draw for Portugal and Vietnam. Both are battle tested sides who have played some impressive friendlies recently. Unfortunately , they drew against last World Cups finalists. Not much to say about the favorites , its business as usual for the US. Its another quality side that looks to make it a 3peat. Netherlands have a talented young side that use a number of overlapping runs to create offense. Hoping for some Over wagers in this group

Group F :

1. France ( 5 )
    2. Brazil ( 8 )
    3. Jamaica ( 43 )
    4. Panama ( 52 )

The game on July 29th , between France and Brazil should be circled on your calender as " Must See ". It will win the group if either side can prevail, but explosive should be the name of the game. Jamaica and Panama will be fodder for the top 2 to accumulate goal differential.

Group G:

1. Sweden ( 3 )
    2. Italy ( 16 )
    3. Argentina ( 28 )
    4. Sth. Africa ( 54 )

Sweden should be the cream of the crop in Group G , and one of the favorites to compete for the crown. Italy havent reached the same level of play that saw them through the 2019 Group satge. The game against Argentina will decide 2nd place , while Sth. Africa should gain some valuable experience as a relative unknown.

Group H :

1. Germany ( 2 )
    2. Sth korea ( 17 )
    3. Colombia ( 25 )
    4. Morocco ( 72 )

Germany have a blend of old and new on this years edition. They were fortunate to draw a relatively weaker group , as their assent through the knockout stage is still in doubt. The other 3 in this group are not likely to make an impact beyond the group stage, so i can see Sth Korea winning the game over Colombia.

franz555

The following is a list of the order of importance in the case of a draw in the Group Stage:

Women's World Cup group tie-breakers​

Should teams finish level on points in their respective groups and need to be split, the following criteria will be applied in order until they can be separated to determine the final placings:

1. Goal difference across all group matches
    2. Number of goals scored in all group matches
    3. Points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question
    4. Goal difference in the matches played between the teams in question
    5. Number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question
    6. Fair play points in all group matches (only one deduction can be applied to a player in a single match):

• Yellow card: −1 point;
    • Indirect red card (second yellow card): −3 points;
    • Direct red card: −4 points;

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9233

The country is expecting Aussies to "surprise" again. A lot of support and a happy team led by Sam Kerr at home are going to be tough for any other team to cope with I think.

franz555

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    The country is expecting Aussies to "surprise" again. A lot of support and a happy team led by Sam Kerr at home are going to be tough for any other team to cope with I think.
    I totally agree. They gained a ton of experience in France 4 years ago. One of the teams to back at long odds for sure

franz555

Big Win over a strong French side

Looked solid in doing so. Only conceded a single shot on goal

Good luck in the Tourney

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by franz555 View Post

Big Win over a strong French side

Looked solid in doing so. Only conceded a single shot on goal

Good luck in the Tourney
    Yes very encouraging.

Entertaining end to end football played too.

Fingers crossed for the home team!

franz555

To win W/Cup - Spain @ 6.00 ( 1 unit )

Spain have Japan to beat in order to gain a #1 status and play Group A runner up ( likely Canada imo )
    The team is on an incredible run of form and they are as good as any on any given day

July 20 : 6am est : Australia vs Rep Ireland :

Australia -1.5 @ 2.12 ( 2 units )

Rep. of Ireland are a very scrappy side that defends well. Australia have wins over France , Spain and 2 - 0 over England , in London. The stadium in Sydney holds 42,500 , and the nation are pumped over the chances of their side. I think this quality side will put on another stellar performance

beefcake
    Update your status
    beefcake's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 178

Hey Franz I see sweden is now 20-1 at alot of places to win the cup.Isnt that great value since FIFA has them ranked #3 in the world?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Optional what's the weather like where the games will be played? Isn't is winter time now down under?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Optional what's the weather like where the games will be played? Isn't is winter time now down under?
    Winter has broken now and it should be mild but not cold in most venues.

Melbourne and Adelaide probably high 50s, low 60s. Sydney in the 60s and Brisbane maybe around 70F

I think Aukland and Perth is about the same temp as Sydney usually.

Not a heap of rain this time of year.
    Last edited by Optional; 07-15-23 at 10:00 PM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Winter has broken now and it should be mild but not cold in most venues.

Melbourne and Adelaide probably high 50s, low 60s. Sydney in the 60s and Brisbane maybe around 70F

I think Aukland is about the same as Sydney usually.

Not a heap of rain this time of year.
    OK thanks..I think the teams who are not used to this weather will have a hard time adjusting. The human body doesn't like change.

Optional

OK thanks..I think the teams who are not used to this weather will have a hard time adjusting. The human body doesn't like change.
    I was thinking the weather would be no real advantage to anyone. Even the home teams.

Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane stadiums are good at keeping wind out at ground level. Adelaide is the opposite. Not sure about Perth or the NZ parks.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cacuocthethao

Optional

August is the windiest month of the year in Sydney usually. Prob the same all down East coast, so Brisbane and Melbourne too.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

If you remember the men's 2010 WC in South Africa the European teams had an advantage in similar weather and did much better than teams from other continents.
    Points Awarded:

Optional gave pavyracer 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

If you remember the men's 2010 WC in South Africa the European teams had an advantage in similar weather and did much better than teams from other continents.
    European teams have an advantage alright.

It's called having more then 50% of the teams in the tournament.

franz555

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake View Post
    Hey Franz I see sweden is now 20-1 at alot of places to win the cup.Isnt that great value since FIFA has them ranked #3 in the world?
    Saw that. Agreed , they are as good as any and have an easy Group

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

Seems like good value on a decent team
    Points Awarded:

franz555 gave cankid 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

astrobloke
    astrobloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1642

Saw that. Agreed , they are as good as any and have an easy Group
    when I saw that, I thought the same thing. Could it be the year for Sweden?

I had a $2000 win on the Mexico game today and bet365 is down?

Everytime I have a big win, they seem like they dont give me access to the site or the site goes under maintenance.

I just know B365 hates losing money, that is for sure. I am having a streak of good luck right now. And every time I do, I can't login, the site goes mysterious in " Maintenance " and I can't be on any games for about 24 hours.

weird.

I am willing to take a punt on SWEEDEN but seeing the stats, B365 is s scam of a site but.

These bookies are worse than criminals in jail...I hate it, I swear .....
    Last edited by astrobloke; 07-16-23 at 11:40 PM.

franz555

Quote Originally Posted by astrobloke View Post
    when I saw that, I thought the same thing. Could it be the year for Sweden?

I had a $2000 win on the Mexico game today and bet365 is down?

Everytime I have a big win, they seem like they dont give me access to the site or the site goes under maintenance.

I just know B365 hates losing money, that is for sure. I am having a streak of good luck right now. And every time I do, I can't login, the site goes mysterious in " Maintenance " and I can't be on any games for about 24 hours.

weird.

I am willing to take a punt on SWEEDEN but seeing the stats, B365 is s scam of a site but.

These bookies are worse than criminals in jail...I hate it, I swear .....
    I ended up backing Spain @ 6/1 , based on their recent form. Sweden have played mediocre soccer the past few months , so i understand the line getting beat down. It just seems a bit out of whack for a #3 ranked team , and the clear betting fav to win their Group.

Ride the wave. Its a great feeling when you get on a roll

BOL on the tourney

franz555

That World Cup will be remembered for those stupid horns ( Vuvuzela ) playing throughout every game. It was Brutal. Had to mute the sound and play some tunes

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

That World Cup will be remembered for those stupid horns ( Vuvuzela ) playing throughout every game. It was Brutal. Had to mute the sound and play some tunes
    That was brutal. Couldn't stand it either. Glad we don't have to deal with it anymore.
    Points Awarded:

franz555 gave pavyracer 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bensw
    bensw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 118

I agree with you. They have a lot of young talent. Many of the players on the Australian team are still in their early 20s, and they are only going to get better with age
    Points Awarded:

franz555 gave bensw 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26331

Japan is my dark horse team to win.
    Points Awarded:

franz555 gave Enkhbat 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DiamondJack
    DiamondJack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7953

BOL Franz

franz555

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJack View Post
    BOL Franz
    BOL to you as well

Enjoy

franz555

Australia -1.5 @ 2.12 ( 2 units ) Loss ( 1 - 0 Australia )

0 - 1 ( - 2 units )

No idea why Samantha Kerr, one of the best female players on the planet, wasnt in the starting line up today. She was a healthy scratch and sat on the bench the entire game. Problems with the coach ?

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Some locals I know here told me they have taken in 40k worth of bets all on USA -6, they think Vietnam will get trampled , but then another local I know is taking a lot of action on Vietnam +6 , gonna be interesting to find out what happens.

franz555

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Some locals I know here told me they have taken in 40k worth of bets all on USA -6, they think Vietnam will get trampled , but then another local I know is taking a lot of action on Vietnam +6 , gonna be interesting to find out what happens.
    Vietnams 9 - 0 loss to Spain was a big factor in setting the line. You are never as good as your best loss or worst win. I would lean to the +6 and cross my fingers that they cover. USA may rest a key player or 2 as well

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Noticed the China line dropped significantly

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Vietnams 9 - 0 loss to Spain was a big factor in setting the line. You are never as good as your best loss or worst win. I would lean to the +6 and cross my fingers that they cover. USA may rest a key player or 2 as well
    The line was up way before that game. It has been up to +6.75 -+5.75, when they lost 2-1 it went to +5.75. I have a USA future to win it all, I just want Vietnam to play well, hoping for the best.

franz555

Australia -1.5 @ 2.12 ( 2 units ) Loss ( 1 - 0 Australia )

0 - 1 ( - 2 units )

No idea why Samantha Kerr, one of the best female players on the planet, wasnt in the starting line up today. She was a healthy scratch and sat on the bench the entire game. Problems with the coach ?

How much of a role Sam Kerr can physically play for Australia at the Women's World Cup remains completely uncertain.
    Even if her time on the sidelines with a calf muscle injury is extended, though, Australia's iconic striker still has important role to play for the tournament co-hosts after helping to inspire the Matildas to a 1-0 opening win over Ireland on Thursday.
    "Obviously losing a player like Sam, probably the best player in the world, and just for her as a person, we were completely heartbroken," said Steph Catley, who scored the 52nd-minute penalty that secured Australia's win in front of a record crowd. "We had to gather ourselves pretty quickly, but we used her spirit and used the fact that she wasn't able to be out there with us to help us push on. And I think that's what it's going to take for as long as maybe she misses."

Tg11
    Tg11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Canada can't afford to lose to Nigeria or even draw with Nigeria either

franz555

She played 61 minutes in Australia's last friendly vs France. Prior to that game she was her usual dominant self . Scoring in London in April vs England ( 2 - 0 win ). She is truly a game changer , so her injury is critical to backing Australia.

1234 ... Last