indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Hadn't seen a red card for this before.

I've seen red cards for just about everything over the years but never saw this before. Was watching the 2cnd leg Copa Sudamericana semi-final between Argentine sides Huracan and River Plate. Huracan had a commanding 3-0 aggregate lead in the middle of the 2cnd half , but River Plate was making a furious comeback as Mora scored twice and the game got tense as one more road goal by River Plate would amazingly see them through to the final. The game was nearing stoppage time and a River Plate shot went over the goal line and over the fence. A ball boy (and obvious Huracan supporter) had a ball to put back into play, but seemed to be taking his sweet time doing so. River Plate midfielder Carlos Sanchez ran over to him and tried to grab the ball from him, but the ball boy didn't give it up. So Sanchez slapped him upside his head pretty hard. As he made his way back onto the field and was on his way towards midfield to await the Huracan goal kick, the ref tapped him on his back shoulder and showed him a straight red card. The hilarious part was that Sanchez, in disbelief, began caressing the cheek of the ref as if to say, "no,no, I was just giving him a friendly rub on the face", and the ref slapped his own head and waived his finger back and forth as if to say, " no,no,no,you cant slap a ball boy, get the f#*k out of here."

hotelis
    hotelis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 957

interesting. whats your take on this? can red cards be given for sch conduct? I think ref was in the wrong - after all the kid was milkin it.

gegege
    gegege's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Hazard got a red when he kicked the ball boy that was holding onto the ball.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Quote Originally Posted by hotelis View Post
    interesting. whats your take on this? can red cards be given for sch conduct? I think ref was in the wrong - after all the kid was milkin it.
    He definitely deserves a red card, a suspension, and probably an assault charge. He slapped this kid (young adult) real hard. You cant do that. The ref will make sure a ball gets in play eventually. You just can't do that. Knowing Argentina, the young guy he slapped might be waiting for him in the parking lot with 5 armed gang members. If he had done that at LaBombanara playing Boca Juniors, it could have gotten real ugly. Then again, River vs Boca matches almost always get real ugly.