Spedizzo
    Spedizzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

UnderstandingSoccer Betting

Hey guys I don't wager on soccer often but wanna get into the Euros...

I just don't understand how it works for favorites... I know if you take the ML and it loses it is a draw, but if you bet on a favorite, for example: Russia -1/2 at +105... what is the difference between that wager and Russia ML at +160... why not just take the ML?

I am sure this is a dumb question but I would like to clarify it before I lay anything down...

Thanks.

Spedizzo

I notice they say Pick & -1/2 or Pick & -1... what does that mean?

Nova99
    Nova99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

the -1/2 line is to entice the dog, the dog will win with a win or a draw... the other bet you mentioned is a split, so think of it as a split on your wager, half on pk half on -1/2

Spedizzo

One more quick question, unless I am understanding something wrong... isn't the outcome of these two bets hypothetically guaranteed money? Obviously its a small amount I am just trying to see if I am missing anything.

Risking $100 on PORTUGAL Pick & + ½ at +105 to win $105 (Vs Germany)

Risking $100 on GERMANY ML at +115
    to win $115 (Vs Portugal)

If you were to place both of these, are you not guaranteed to either win 5 dollars (if Portugal wins or draws), or win 15 dollars (if Germany wins)??

in:extremis
    in:extremis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 744

In my book Portugal +.5 (win or draw) is -135 so $100 would win about $75.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

basically on the portugal bet if you bet 100 you win 105 if they win outright, you win half the bet if its a draw 52.50, and you lose 100 if germany wins.

if germany wins you get 115, a draw you lose 100, a loss you lose 100.

so no guaranteed money there.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Hey guys I don't wager on soccer often but wanna get into the Euros...

I just don't understand how it works for favorites... I know if you take the ML and it loses it is a draw, but if you bet on a favorite, for example: Russia -1/2 at +105... what is the difference between that wager and Russia ML at +160... why not just take the ML?

I am sure this is a dumb question but I would like to clarify it before I lay anything down...

Thanks.
    Not sure if that's a typo, but if ML loses it's a loss. Money line is a 3-way bet: Win, Lose, Draw. In your example if you took the ML and the match ends in a draw, you lose. Betting the goal line is 2-way; draw results in a push and a cancelled bet (for pk)

2 options in the goal line (pk, -1 for example) is called an Asian Handicap. Basically what Nova99 said, half your bet is on pick'em and half on -1. Same example, match ends in a draw your pk bet is a push (refunded) and the -1 is a loss (Likewise, +1 is a win). Asian handicap allows for a little more flexibilty, help temper your losses. Pretty simple, google for more info.

Spedizzo

Yes typo... So a draw is half the bet? Cause I had to win 25 on Greece:

- 125 [26201] GREECE + ½ - 125 GREECE @ POLAND , Euro Cup 6/8/2012 9:00 AM 31.00 25.00

It was graded as a win. Or is that because it didn't say "Pick"?

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Yes typo... So a draw is half the bet? Cause I had to win 25 on Greece:

- 125 [26201] GREECE + ½ - 125 GREECE @ POLAND , Euro Cup 6/8/2012 9:00 AM 31.00 25.00

It was graded as a win. Or is that because it didn't say "Pick"?
    No, bet is only split when using Asian Handicap (2 options). You had Greece +½, so with the draw you won. Think of it like a point spread, just with goals. You were getting half a goal so you won. Any result with Poland winning you would have lost. If you had Greece @ pk, +½, you'd have pushed half (the draw) and won half (the +½).

You bet $31 to win $25 (congrats by the way, I had Poland -½). Getting ½ goal gave you the win. Total payout $56.

In the example I gave (pk,+½) you'd have won $12.50 and been refunded $15.50 (half your bet), total of $28 (half win and half push). Hope that clears it up a little.