hello sbr patrons

i hope i am not offendeing anyone just curious if
    i am only one not interested in this soccer stuff
    it is very boring to me

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

The beautiful game isn't for everyone...
    I'm American born and I quit my job every 4 years to watch it.
    To me, there is no better tournament, nor better display of athletic talent. The NCAA college basketball tourney is easily 2nd, followed by the Stanley Cup chase.

I will say this has been the LEAST exciting Cup as the majority of the referees have rewarded divers - and to me, that blows. The referees in 75%+ (and I never miss a game live unless I have no choice - and still watch the games in order as to not know before hand what happens) of the matches have decided the flow, and that makes favorites vulnerable, although I think favorites have benefited from the garbage officiating more than they've been hurt, but on paper it shouldn't.

Also, the officiating on the off-sides have been at an all time low and are the reason I've lost 3 matches now out of my bets. If they called the plays correctly, I am undefeated. However, that's a seperate reality and expect that as a fan and bettor. It's part of the game and it goes both ways. I've won games off of horrible calls (Shevchenko the other day is a perfect example for Ukraine).

It's easily the worst world cup I've EVER seen - and it isn't because of talent/bad coaching (although both are down this time around compared to the last cup) - it's because of the officiating.

You can hate on soccer all you want... It doesn't matter where you're from. I think it's the 2nd best sport on the planet after American Football. Both teams, ironically, have 11 per side and have to work together. Teams win and individuals lose... That's why I love soccer just as much as the NFL, although - in America - you get shit coverage, aside from some token UEFA games and Premiership games (sometimes Bundesliga) here, unless you're willing to pay ridiculous money.

It won't ever be a big game over here because it's so hard to create "stars". How do you get fired up about a guy that gets a goal every 3 or 4 games - or just serves up sick balls like Riquelme on Argentina?
    Americans, as I am one, and with all due respect, are subjected to 'star marketing' - and I chose to look past that - I like quality teams, which is the antithesis of American marketing.

That's why we love so many 'me' players that really stink in the team regard (look at the NBA... so many 'superstars' that stink in the postseason when it matters - same with baseball).

If you can't get your guy's name on sportscenter every night - why the f would you care if you are American? (I'm not insinuating you are - a LOT of the posters on this site are)
    Lebron, Kobe, Bonds.
    It's the same penetrating thing every night.
    Americans are a victim of their own exposure like that and I can't blame them for not supporting a brilliant game.

I will always support my crappy American team and do not feel we'll ever get a cup in my lifetime... However, there is NO better exposure of the world's best athletic talent than the world cup -- that's why BILLIONS watch it.

You can't argue with that stat at all - if you don't like it, great. I won't be upset. Why does it matter? Some people WANT to understand it and watch anyway and then complain...
    Well, you can't understand proper football unless you watch a lot of it. You pick of things - just as you would if you watched other sports...The strategy, the player placement, the tactics, etc...

The game during the World Cup is bigger than talent. It's about nations. Germany/Poland is probably the best example. Portugal/Angola is another great example. If you don't understand why, you need to read up on world history. Heck even Argentian/Netherlands (even though their game was a stinker) should be sick due to FOOTBALL history, or soccer, if you call it that.

It is the one event on the planet earth where all the best athletes go at it and the winner wins and the losers try to build for a run in 4 years.

I am American and have cheered for Iran 2x now. Am I unAmerican? no.
    It's bigger than politics. It's about the game the world plays. As an American, I'd never know that, if I didn't care about places like Ecuador - but I do - and will.
    I share the same planet, and it truly is a brilliant TEAM game. If my team loses, I get upset, however - I don't stop watching. You can't stop watching the best of the best of the best playing the ultimate international team sport.

I love the World Cup. It's amazing. It goes beyond everything on the planet earth. Not many Americans can see that like I do. I guess I'm lucky that I found something I love for a reason that ESPN didn't tell me to love - or marketing.
    It's about International pride.
    That means a lot (and btw, it hurt the US - because Bush is such a tool and everyone hates this country - including referees).

With that, I end.
    It is the beautiful game... Argentina's game winner today expresses that very well for me. Watching teams like Switzerland grind gives me chills. I strongly dislike both teams for various reasons - but why turn my back? They play brilliant football. I can only dream, as an American, that some day our team will be that good. It won't happen, but that's no reason to turn away. Winning isn't everything. Hope is.

It's a global stage where all the best get to shine - and for one country that isn't the United States gets to win - and win the game that 95% of the world plays over games Americans favor.
    As a person on the planet earth - it matters a LOT... At least to me, as an American. I'd LOVE the perspective of someone that isn't. I can't see through the eyes of someone where football is 'the' game. I can understand it on some level, but not on the same as the rest of the planet (I watch world cup games with many non-american nationals and still don't understand the way they do).

There are maybe 1000 or so dorks like me in the US. I don't do it to be 'different'. I do it because I love the game and what it is about. It truly is a beautiful game.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

American sports are governed by corporations. If there is no money in a sport, it will receive little attention. What determines if there is money in a sport? To a large extent the game interruptions that allow for tv commercials.

Let's face it. Football, basketball, and baseball all have one thing in common. Regular, brief interruptions... Hockey lags far behind the 'big three' in America. Not because Americans don't like hockey - we do-, but because there are only two intervals for commercials, between periods. And those pauses are too long for effective advertising.

Hockey, though, has the advantage that it has been around long enough. It had a foot in the door before extreme corporatism took over. Not so for soccer. When people get a steady diet of soccer, as they do in most other countries, they tend to love it. Soccer is the most popular sport around the world, so it must be doing something right. In the US, we will never - not ever - get a steady diet. And the reason is not so much that we don't like it (who truly loved the first football game he ever saw?); we pretty much 'like' (or believe) everything that flashes across the tv screen. The reason is that soccer is twice as poorly set up for commercials as hockey. At least hockey has two breaks. Soccer has only one.
    By extension, we have become accustomed to interruptions during games, so a soccer half of 45 minutes tests an attention span that is used to a refrigerator break every five minutes or so.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 06-25-06 at 03:47 AM.

McBa1n
    Update your status

That's a really good point, Dark Horse.
    I've always believed that all along and it ties into my point about marketing a 'star' to a degree.

The issue of this sport not taking off over here is due to marketing dollars. You're talking billions versus maybe a couple million or so.
    Americans take what they're given. Look at playboy... Oh - that's what we're supposed to want as a guy now? OK... Sad but true.

If you can't critically think, then how the hell can you choose? I am not trying to talk down on people swayed by marketing or those 'sports reporters' on ESPN that don't even watch the games talk about sports...
    That's just American sports. They are awesome sports.
    It's just, I'd gather that a solid minority of Americans (espeically those that didn't grow up in a cement city) grow up playing rec soccer - but yet, don't pay attention to it.
    I don't get why, but marketing is a big deal why.
    Also, part of it, is what you do in soccer on a professional level versus say basketball or baseball when you're playing as a kid are so very different. Soccer takes a TON more skill beyond dominating teenagers in a rec league at the pro level, whereas in other games, you can see things you've done when you're a kid in America are very similar (freethrow, 3 pointers, 'and one' drives to the hoop, wacking a double in the gap, etc).

I'm not trying to talk down on Americans at all. I'm one of them. I just don't think Americans see things the way ohhh - the rest of the world does. While that's the 'American way' - I don't necessarily believe it's the right way. America is a democracy, unless it's inconvenient to them, I guess.

Whatever it is - I go get a beer after a diver goes down and is dead on the field and taken off by stretcher and is back on the field after a minuteish.
    That's plenty of time to take a wizz and grab a cold one.
    I've done it daily, as I watch all the games live (aside from one day, mum needed a ride to the airport - but I watched the games in sequence via TIVO when I got home!).

There, to me, in sports, is no bigger thing than a team you support scores a goal. I wish more Americans 'got it'. But they won't ever. I can't blame them - it's just not American pop-culture. I wish it were bigger here so I could watch more club games from Europe on the cheap - I hope that when I move to Vegas in a couple months it makes that easier, though.:>

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

It's not just sports that is governed by the corporate world. It's politics, the media, medicine, and so on.
    The following quote may come as a bit of a shocker for those who believe America to be a democracy:
    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Mussolini

The danger was foreseen:
    "I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. . . . corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed." -- U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864

Anyway, back to soccer... 'Give the people bread and games'.

McBa1n
    Update your status

LOL - great quotes...
    This thread officially got too political for a bettor - but still, it's proper due to the thread title.

Name the last bigtime leader that said:
    "You're with us or against us"
    heheh, other than W or Darth Vader...
    Ok, great, in terms of popularity at the time. (Hint - he is from the host nation).
    Your point is very well taken and I'm on the level...
    Wow, depth on this forum. I'm beside myself... Aside from a 'sharp' edge:>.

I don't mean to get all political - but Lincoln's quote there tells the score, as it has become more consolidated, in the past 6 or so years in America (even moreso than the previous crappy 20 years). "Aristocracy" rings out to me - but I might be too "Leninist" in saying that. All I know is there is one true and free gold rush and choice of living in America right now (for those that aren't total morons), and that's in being a bettor.:> Well, that or a Discovery Channel fisherman with the Nords - but that's a discussion for another time.:>

I'm probably in the wrong doing what I do. Fishing is phat lewtz and the same hours I put up with now anyway between cards/betting... Again, another rant for another time.

So yeah - soccer... Freaking love it enough to lose the corporate rag for a month and enjoy it every 4 years. It's the first I've wagered on and it's easier than I thought - but the risks are ridiculous and cause you to become a Tums addict... I still wouldn't trade the Cup in for anything. It just doesn't get any better.

Baphomet
    Baphomet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Football can be full of spots and ads.
    In Costa Rica, a goal is not a goal is a Gol Panadol.
    A corner kick, fouls, free throws, etc have their own sponsors.

ESPN narrators make football look boring, I never watch soccer on ESPN. They don't have the spice or the experience.

Soccer can be entertaining when there are great teams playing. England vs Germany will be a great game to watch.
    Germany will win, of course.

Terris
    Terris's Avatar Become A Pro!

After watching Ecuador vs. England i would have almost agreed...

Soccer games vary from "as boring as listening to BBs agenda theories" to "90mins better than any orgasm", i hope to see some of those the next 2 weeks :-P

Baphomet

Italy - Australia will be so boring. Italy has all the chances to pass.
    Switzerland - Ukraine as well, on this one I expect again a penalty.
    I hope Ukraine makes it, so that my predictions are still good.

McBa1n
    Update your status

ESPN/ABC's choice of broadcasters has been miserable.
    JP Delacamera and Tommy Smith should do EVERY game... Even Tommy Smith with the Brit is fantastic.

I don't think Americans are going to watch because of Dave O'Brien - but they'll defintly turn it off listening to him and Balboa sound like twits. Balboa is growing on me, but he's not even MLS calibur as a color guy.

If they had actual soccer announcers, it would spice up the game for sure. I'll watch no matter what, but they are tainting (just like the Ty Keough/Jack Edwards fiasco of the last cup) the broadcast for everyone - even non-soccer fan friends of mine bitch about all the bad camera switching, horrible playbyplay, etc. That's huge.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

You are not alone mofome. Soccer is very boring to me too.

Well I should qualify that. I have been enjoying a lot of the discussion about the World Cup. I took a 2.5 hour drive week before last and all they talked about on the radio was soccer - and I listened the whole time. I could have stuck in a CD at any point but I was interested in the talk.

But I find watching it very boring.

not mofome
    not mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

im glad me not alone

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    ESPN/ABC's choice of broadcasters has been miserable.
    JP Delacamera and Tommy Smith should do EVERY game... Even Tommy Smith with the Brit is fantastic.

I don't think Americans are going to watch because of Dave O'Brien - but they'll defintly turn it off listening to him and Balboa sound like twits. Balboa is growing on me, but he's not even MLS calibur as a color guy.

If they had actual soccer announcers, it would spice up the game for sure. I'll watch no matter what, but they are tainting (just like the Ty Keough/Jack Edwards fiasco of the last cup) the broadcast for everyone - even non-soccer fan friends of mine bitch about all the bad camera switching, horrible playbyplay, etc. That's huge.
    Agree with you. The commentators for this Brazil/Ghana game were horrible. Ghana played well, but they can't finish, so why was their the need for them to suck their cocks through the entire telecast, even when down 2-0 and 3-0. And I don't believe their crap that some Brazil fans were actually cheering for Ghana, lol.

Baphomet

McBa1n, I took the time to read your first post.
    You really feel the passion for football, real football.
    Not rugby with helmets and protections.

Fifa's reporters are so dumb.
    Yesterday they said there were lots of mexicans supporting Australia (Australia v Italy) ... Their flags were green, red and white... just like Italy's flag.... doh!!!

McBa1n
    Update your status

No joke.

I don't know how you can say that a team that lost 3-0 outplayed the other team... That seems a bit ridiculous to me.
    Balboa and O'Brien are complete shmucks.

Baphomet

June 28th and 29th, no football !!! WTF
    What I'm going to do?

Two days without WC 2006 buuuuuuuuuu!

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

ASIA NEWS
    Fan leaps to death in China over Netherlands defeat

Hong Kong: China's World Cup death toll has risen to nine after a fan jumped from a seventh floor hotel balcony following the Netherlands' elimination, a news report said Thursday.

The fan, aged in his 30s and believed to have bet heavily on the Netherlands beating Portugal in Sunday night's match, leapt from the hotel balcony in Baoji, Shaanxi provine, shortly after the game.

The fan's death is one of nine attributed to the World Cup fever sweeping China since the tournament kicked off in Germany on June 9, according to the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.

The deaths include at least six people believed to have dropped dead of excitement or stress after watching the games broadcast late at night in the nation of 1.3 billion.

In another incident, an overexcited fan in Shandong province was stabbed and left in a coma after he was assaulted after hugging a female stranger as he celebrated Switzerland scoring against South Korea.

It was unclear in the immediate aftermath of the assault whether his assailant was the female stranger's boyfriend or husband or a disgruntled South Korea supporter.

Millions of people in China have been staying up as late as 5 a.m. to watch the World Cup live, even though China did not qualify for the finals.

Guess not everybody thinks it boring.

ali_g
    ali_g's Avatar Become A Pro!

no offense taken. nobody is making you watch the soccer world cup.... so the soultion is to leave it alone. there plenty of baseball going on that might keep you at the edge of your seat! cheers mate!

Quote Originally Posted by mofome
    hello sbr patrons

i hope i am not offendeing anyone just curious if
    i am only one not interested in this soccer stuff
    it is very boring to me

McBa1n
    Update your status

booyakasha
    ali g representin
    for real
    *snap*

ali_g

Respect! McBa1n!
    Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    booyakasha
    ali g representin
    for real
    *snap*
    Last edited by ali_g; 06-30-06 at 03:13 PM.

McBa1n
    Update your status

sasha baron cohen = one of my heros
    *snap*
    I wish I had a witty ali g line, but he has so many, and none that are appropriate.

isetcap
    isetcap's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well if we want to keep with the soccer spirit of this thread it brings to mind the saying about there being "grass on the pitch..."

I think Ali G said it best with, "Does you not agree, if dere is fluff on da muff then she is old enuff?"

ali_g

Bombaclat! all ali g shit is funny!

Baphomet

This thread got misscarriaged.

Football = Soccer

Football isn't Rugby with helmets and protection

Football is the best sport ever, in the world

justbet
    justbet's Avatar Become A Pro!

the worst part about soccer is the lack of scoring. you watch a game for 90 minutes to see 1 goal? and its especially bullshit when the players are flopping all over the place and winning games because of it (france). in the NHL if you flop, it is a penalty and you go to the penalty box. i think that i a great rule. i hate watching all these soccer players getting slightly bumped and acting like their leg is broken. i thought the NBA was pathetic, but soccer players' flopping has reached a new low. but yeah, more scoring would be nice.

ali_g

yes indeed mate! more scoring on the pitch would be marvoulos. try to play football one day and see how much you can score mate! you want more scoring go do it yourself... you see us real footballers are pleased with a exciting 1 - nil victory! You like scoring stick with the NBA.... batty boy!! cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by justbet
    the worst part about soccer is the lack of scoring. you watch a game for 90 minutes to see 1 goal? and its especially bullshit when the players are flopping all over the place and winning games because of it (france). in the NHL if you flop, it is a penalty and you go to the penalty box. i think that i a great rule. i hate watching all these soccer players getting slightly bumped and acting like their leg is broken. i thought the NBA was pathetic, but soccer players' flopping has reached a new low. but yeah, more scoring would be nice.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

There should be much more end to end action, instead of most of the game played in the 'boring' middle of the field. That would make soccer far more exciting, and that is how it was once played.

Some ways to make the game more attractive and fair:

1) no more offside; twice the space opens up the game.
    2) no more yellow cards; use the hockey system of penalties. That way a team benefits from fouls by opponent. Diving is an immediate 15 minute penalty.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wasnt gonna comment cause the name of the thread seems very... uninteresting to me.
    Soccer has been around forever, its popularity grows year in and year out.
    Take a look at wednesdays italian newspapers or todays french.
    I dont think applying hockey, football or basketball rules to the game will be accepted by any true soccer fans. FIFA will find its own way to deal with diving.
    Some people like high scoring games, some people appreciate other types of sports.
    If you would look closely you probably could enjoy defenders like Fabio Cannavaro and Lilian Thuram play.
    I dont want to offend anyone at all but why comment on the soccer section of the forum if you find it boring?
    Its mindbottling to me??

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

Darkhorse is right on...that is more or less why soccer will never be big in this country.

I don't mind soccer. I find it relatively exciting...but then again i find any baseball game exciting regardless of who is playing. I've grown to like soccer and actually wish there was more of it around...however I don't think it is something I would ever bet on.