WillyBoy
    WillyBoy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8430

Covid 19 Snapshot 6-18-20 – As It “Fades Away”, Coronavirus Crushes 2 U.S. Mileston

A couple of U.S. Covid 19 milestones today – infections topping 2mil and deaths now over 120k. S. Africa showed a big jump in infections, even S. Korea had a tiny spike, while Brazil remains totally out of control.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

fading away day by day.... great headline, glad you're finally realizing this response is a total sham......

(I only read your headlines, your data is incomprehensible_)

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

Usa! Usa! Usa!

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_Guest_Pro View Post
    Usa! Usa! Usa!
    NO BETTER TIME FOR THIS REMINDER:

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

Good to see it's fading away. Thanks for the update Will.

WillyBoy

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    fading away day by day.... great headline, glad you're finally realizing this response is a total sham......

(I only read your headlines, your data is incomprehensible_)
    Unsurprising that you find numbers “incomprehensible” (it’s likely down to genetics), but that you can “read” my “headlines” is a semi-shocker.

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Willy--you seem to like those numbers because they sound big to you. Bear in mind that the population of the United States is 330,000,000. Here are a couple math equations for you:
    What is 2,000,000/330,000,000?
    What is 120,000/330,000,000?

I'll save you a minute. The first is .006, and the second is .00036. When the quotients start with that many zeroes... you're just fear mongering.

WillyBoy

Quote Originally Posted by deltgen View Post
    Willy--you seem to like those numbers because they sound big to you. Bear in mind that the population of the United States is 330,000,000. Here are a couple math equations for you:
    What is 2,000,000/330,000,000?
    What is 120,000/330,000,000?

I'll save you a minute. The first is .006, and the second is .00036. When the quotients start with that many zeroes... you're just fear mongering.
    I love numbers, and always have, but prefer them accurate to ballpark when available. The U.S. population as of this moment is 330,938,757; the number of infected stands at 2,278,875; and American dead at 121,023. Now, while I do appreciate and applaud your ability to do basic math, your numbers – while comforting to you and others, I don’t doubt – fail, abysmally , contextually speaking. The current per capita percentage of the U.S. population who are infected is .69%. A small number, that’s true – but it’s only true today. In fact, that percentage has increased by 255.8% in three short months, and it hasn’t stopped growing. Similarly, American deaths today stand .037% - again, a tiny comforting number, until you grasp that this number has exploded by a whopping 1,883.01% since April. Trying to take comfort from today’s per capita numbers, is like thinking a 1st inning score, decides a 9 inning game. Yes, it’s that stupid.

I know of no epidemiologist who has projected a Covid 19 run of less than 18th months, and where the percentage of American dead will end up, is anybody’s guess. The WHO has pegged it at 2.7%, UW’s IHME at 2.2%, JHU at 2.1%, the Imperial College 1.9%. More little numbers, right? Feeling good? But it’s just you blowing smoke up your own ass. Since you can probably multiply as well as divide, I’ll let you do your own math.
    Points Awarded:

BOA12 gave WillyBoy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

More people have died from covid-19 in the USA than in WWI. We have more people, sure, but in what world is this not alarming af?

https://fortune.com/2020/06/16/coronavirus-deaths-us-covid-19-death-toll-higher-wwi-total-how-many-dead/

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2059

Quote Originally Posted by peacebyinches View Post
    More people have died from covid-19 in the USA than in WWI. We have more people, sure, but in what world is this not alarming af?

https://fortune.com/2020/06/16/coronavirus-deaths-us-covid-19-death-toll-higher-wwi-total-how-many-dead/

Trump Daze.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

Of course it's alarming and certainly the world has/had reacted alarmingly, but what you gonna do?

deltgen

Quote Originally Posted by WillyBoy View Post
    I love numbers, and always have, but prefer them accurate to ballpark when available. The U.S. population as of this moment is 330,938,757; the number of infected stands at 2,278,875; and American dead at 121,023. Now, while I do appreciate and applaud your ability to do basic math, your numbers – while comforting to you and others, I don’t doubt – fail, abysmally , contextually speaking. The current per capita percentage of the U.S. population who are infected is .69%. A small number, that’s true – but it’s only true today. In fact, that percentage has increased by 255.8% in three short months, and it hasn’t stopped growing. Similarly, American deaths today stand .037% - again, a tiny comforting number, until you grasp that this number has exploded by a whopping 1,883.01% since April. Trying to take comfort from today’s per capita numbers, is like thinking a 1st inning score, decides a 9 inning game. Yes, it’s that stupid.

I know of no epidemiologist who has projected a Covid 19 run of less than 18th months, and where the percentage of American dead will end up, is anybody’s guess. The WHO has pegged it at 2.7%, UW’s IHME at 2.2%, JHU at 2.1%, the Imperial College 1.9%. More little numbers, right? Feeling good? But it’s just you blowing smoke up your own ass. Since you can probably multiply as well as divide, I’ll let you do your own math.
    Good stuff Willy. I do think that your numbers only serve to prove my case though, that the numbers are indeed miniscule. I fully realize that when one loses a loved one to this virus that it is extremely consequential, but taking your word for the drastic increase percentages, if deaths have gone up 1,883% in three months and the number is still a ridiculously low percentage--isn't that good news? If the number of cases has risen 256% in three months (with testing available to add to them) and we are where we are, it is virtually nothing.
    I'm not a numbers and math guy like you (a very traumatic event in my youth was my first C, in high school geometry) but I do like to look into them. I suppose it is a matter of perspective and subjectivity to declare what is "many". I do know that there isn't much to be done--it wasn't that long ago when the people who want even more tougher measures here were extolling what South Korea did, as it appears they had the virus "beaten" (whatever the hell that means) but now we are seeing a drastic uptick in their cases. The crap is in the air, and we just have to let it pass and let the medical profession do what they do, but as long as those numbers remain about a million miles from even 1%--we're fine.

dxp
    dxp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 798

the overall numbers are inflated to a degree and are highly questionable as to how many people have actually died strictly from covid-19. it's very reasonable to believe under 100,000 have died in this country from it, while the vast majority have already had it and survived or didn't even know they had it.

how many die per year from the flu? around 36,000? covid-19 was frequently described early on as basically a super flu. an extreme version of it. i think that's exactly what it was, what it is. it did pick off some people with weak immune systems and/or underlying problems that came across as shocking. but for a significant part, it was older people who just couldn't handle something that amounts to the flu on roids.

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17024

an average flu will also kill more than ww1 did during a similar length of time. does that make the flu alarming? cancer kills around 600k a year in the usa. same with heart disease. ppl live their lives, get old, wear down, and die of many things. these wars are killing mostly young ppl who have not lived their lives yet.

WillyBoy

Quote Originally Posted by fried cheese View Post
    an average flu will also kill more than ww1 did during a similar length of time. does that make the flu alarming? cancer kills around 600k a year in the usa. same with heart disease. ppl live their lives, get old, wear down, and die of many things. these wars are killing mostly young ppl who have not lived their lives yet.
    Sounds like either FAUX-News fiction, or you’ve pulled it out your butt again. The CDC estimates between 12,000 and 60,000 “average flu” deaths annually and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease has pegged Covid 19 being 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu. Covid 19 is 5 months old, and is apparently, just warming up. And, as comforting as it may be to you and your Red Herd friends, thinking Covid 19 is less lethal than the annual rate of cancer deaths, I know of no epidemiologist who has projected a Coronavirus run of less than 18 months, and the lowest projected death rate per capita for the U.S. is 1.9%. (Rounding a little, that comes to 6,289,000 dead) So - absent a vaccine or cure – look out cancer, here comes the Trump-Virus.

fried cheese
    Update your status

Sounds like either FAUX-News fiction, or you’ve pulled it out your butt again. The CDC estimates between 12,000 and 60,000 “average flu” deaths annually and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease has pegged Covid 19 being 10 times more lethal than seasonal flu. Covid 19 is 5 months old, and is apparently, just warming up. And, as comforting as it may be to you and your Red Herd friends, thinking Covid 19 is less lethal than the annual rate of cancer deaths, I know of no epidemiologist who has projected a Coronavirus run of less than 18 months, and the lowest projected death rate per capita for the U.S. is 1.9%. (Rounding a little, that comes to 6,289,000 dead) So - absent a vaccine or cure – look out cancer, here comes the Trump-Virus.
    ill use the cdc estimate then. 12k-60k deaths per year is around 36k on average. 36k x 4 years of ww1 is 144k. 144k>116,516

1.9% is the lowest projected death rate? the cdc made a best estimate of 0.26%.

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

This flu manchu is a big yawn. Let us know when we hit 3.5 million dead in the U.S. and maybe I'll start giving a damn. Yeah a 1% threshold is my minimum I can do before I care. Until then I applaud all of those getting on with their lives.

WillyBoy

ill use the cdc estimate then. 12k-60k deaths per year is around 36k on average. 36k x 4 years of ww1 is 144k. 144k>116,516

1.9% is the lowest projected death rate? the cdc made a best estimate of 0.26%.
    Still making things up? The CDC hasn’t done its own “best estimate” of the number of dead Covid 19 will kill throughout its run. It has relied on others. Peruse the CDC link below, and find their sources – ones that do project American dead. I don’t where you pulled that .26% number from, but it’s similar – sort of - to the 2.6% the WHO projects for the U.S. (3.5% for the rest of the world) It’s the Imperial College in the UK that came up with 1.9%. The real numbers are there – unless your fictions are too comforting to look away from.

Also, I have no idea what your trying to say in your first sentence.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...asting-us.html

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

Still making things up? The CDC hasn’t done its own “best estimate” of the number of dead Covid 19 will kill throughout its run. It has relied on others. Peruse the CDC link below, and find their sources – ones that do project American dead. I don’t where you pulled that .26% number from, but it’s similar – sort of - to the 2.6% the WHO projects for the U.S. (3.5% for the rest of the world) It’s the Imperial College in the UK that came up with 1.9%. The real numbers are there – unless your fictions are too comforting to look away from.

How long does the CDC think this will go on? AT this rate it will take 2 years to even breach a million dead, and at 2.5%, you're talking 8 million people. Hell I'll be in the highest risk category by the time this happens.

deltgen

Willy, early on in this thread I don't think any reasonable person could argue with you because you were giving straight numbers. We can disagree if those numbers are consequential enough for worry, but that is for each of us to decide. Your last post though-- are you really sure you want to use The Imperial College in the UK to support any idea with the track record they have established for themselves the past few months?

fried cheese
    Update your status

my first sentence was demonstrating that the average flu will kill more usa citizens than ww1 during same length of time that the war lasted.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html

here they estimated a 0.4% as their "best estimate" for the death rate of symptomatic cases. they estimated that 35% of cases would be asymptomatic so 0.4% x 65% = 0.26%.

the 0.26% estimate is for the percentage of ppl that will die if they get the virus. if you are talking about how many total ppl the virus could kill during an infinite time span then it is potentially limitless.

WillyBoy

my first sentence was demonstrating that the average flu will kill more usa citizens than ww1 during same length of time that the war lasted.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html

here they estimated a 0.4% as their "best estimate" for the death rate of symptomatic cases. they estimated that 35% of cases would be asymptomatic so 0.4% x 65% = 0.26%.

the 0.26% estimate is for the percentage of ppl that will die if they get the virus. if you are talking about how many total ppl the virus could kill during an infinite time span then it is potentially limitless.

Okay, I get you now. Thing is, to be accurate the U.S. entered the war in April 1917, and the war ended in November 1918 – that’s 20 months, not 4 years - so, using your math (which, you have to admit, is a tad strange in terms of the variables), with the correct timespan, that comes out to 60,000 flu deaths compared to 116,000 American dead in WWI.

And, I’ll tell you what. However you arrived at .26%, I’ll go with it. As long as there's no recurrence of the level of hospitalizations seen in March and April, I can see the death rate diminishing to something under 1 percent, and 557,700 dead sounds a lot better than the multi-millions those guys at UW and JHU project. I'm wary, however, of the assumptions built into the CDC's estimates.
    Last edited by WillyBoy; 06-20-20 at 08:22 PM.

WillyBoy

Quote Originally Posted by deltgen View Post
    Willy, early on in this thread I don't think any reasonable person could argue with you because you were giving straight numbers. We can disagree if those numbers are consequential enough for worry, but that is for each of us to decide. Your last post though-- are you really sure you want to use The Imperial College in the UK to support any idea with the track record they have established for themselves the past few months?
    LOL. Hoisted by my own petard – whatever the hell that means! You’re absolutely right, those bad guessers at the Imperial College have mislead the UK so badly they should be charged with negligent homicide. I hereby wash my hands of that earlier reference.