pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

anyone own an aquarium?

I have a large aquarium, but everytime i go to to put fish in they die.

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

i have friends makes a living fixing your problem. just use your yellow page and call a fish guy.

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

My aquarium is quite large. If the fish die, you are not fit to care for fish.

pinchylarue

juiced,
    don't go accusing now. lol.
    I have done everything right so far,water temp is good, tested ph/nitrate/nitrite/chloramine/ammonia/phosphates (ALL are good)
    cycled the thing for 2 months, added PRIME/water conditioner . I pretty much did everything I was supposed to do, now all i can think that might be wrong is that I do not have a air stone, might be a lack of oxygen in the tank. you think that could be it?

JuicedUp
    JuicedUp's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6172

Sell your fish tank(fish included). They need a new home. Don't make me call the authorities here.

pinchylarue

haha im not selling it gonna keep trying , Ill prolly just end up keeping goldfish or koi

horsiehung
    horsiehung's Avatar Become A Pro!

Never piut fish in fishbowls..they don't get enough oxygen without a pump

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

I have had aquarium's for over 25 years and have 3 going at the moment. I have done it all when it comes to keeping fish, what would you like to know?

pinchylarue

my question is : for a 35 gallon aquarium is an air pump with air stone a nescessity? (cant spell, tired , sorry)
    I think thats why my fish are dying. I still have my catfish (5x) though

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

Quote Originally Posted by JuicedUp View Post
    My aquarium is quite large. If the fish die, you are not fit to care for fish.
    how much is it worth

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by pinchylarue View Post
    my question is : for a 35 gallon aquarium is an air pump with air stone a nescessity? (cant spell, tired , sorry)
    I think thats why my fish are dying. I still have my catfish (5x) though
    Of course you need an air pump. The stone is an extra and not necessary but won't hurt anything. The stone can disrupt the behavior of some fish. It all depends on the fish though. From the question it sounds like you are new to this hobby...... Start slow and get familiar with the tank and how to clean it.......

pinchylarue

Im ready to move on though, I perform 20% water chages twice a week and test everything. everything is how it should be and temperature is normal.tank is cycled completely. I honestly just think it's because i don't have an air pump. the fish arent getting enough oxygen. I will try that, then wait a week or so and add a couple of gouramis or somthing like that and see how it goes.

thanks for the info flyingillini

Tackleberry
    Tackleberry's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the problem is do to lack of oxygen you should have noticed that the fish spent most of there time at or near the surface. If this was not the case I would suspect other issues. Even if this wasn't the case you should add some form of filtration, whether it be with an air pump and air stone, powerfilter, canister filter etc.

I also wouldn't worry about constantly checking all the variables you mentioned above. Do the basics right and you will be fine. Fish for the most part can be surprisingly tough. Unless you are trying to keep some sensitize species or induce spawning and the production of viable offspring you don't need to get all that anal.

Best of luck

rem sleep
    rem sleep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18837

20% water change twice a week for some small fish is way too much. Also make sure you have carbon in the filter. Keep it in a mesh bag, that helps keep the water clear and cleans the water also. And fish need oxygen so make sure you get a air pump.

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have a tiny 5 gallon and thinking about moving to a 20 -30 gallon...

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

its your water changes. its killing the fish. thats way to much. Also where are you getting your fish? Are you buying them from the same store? Its possible the store might have some sickness in their takes. Also what type of fish. Some are hardier then others.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

when you change the water it needs to be almost the same temp.also make sure that you turn the light on during the day.good luck.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

always wanted one, but the upkeep required has always stopped me

do5000
    do5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 681

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    i agree. seems like a ton of cleaning and maintenance for not that much fun.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

someone post a pic of your aquariaum

charlesbroccoli
    charlesbroccoli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5829

when you get the fish, do you rest the bag that the fish are in in the tank? that should help the fish get used to the temp and water of your tank. otherwise, they get shock and die easily

Tackleberry

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    For a basic setup you can get by with an hour of work a week no problem. If you wan't to go hardcore you can spend an insane amount of time but it is not generally required.

Just to clarify it is not the air that comes out of the air pump that is going to be what puts oxygen into the water, basically all of the oxygen exchange is going to occur at the surface. Having water movement that can be provided by bubbles from an air pump or any other form of filtration aids in the exchange process.

The 20% a week is overkill but it should also not be doing any real harm as long as a basic buffer/conditioner is used. With a 20% change you don't need to get all that anal about temp., in the same ball park is fine. Like I said before the vast majority of fish are tougher than most people give them credit for.

Tackleberry

Quote Originally Posted by charlesbroccoli View Post
    when you get the fish, do you rest the bag that the fish are in in the tank? that should help the fish get used to the temp and water of your tank. otherwise, they get shock and die easily
    This is also something that with most fish is overstated. Few min for temp and you should be good to go. I have never ever lost a fish do to "shock" and I never ever spend more than 5 min when I am introducing them to the tank. I have done this with hundreds of fish by now.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

Do u have a filter?

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

we have a large aqarium with 8 pretty large fish in it, and a small bio cube with 4 fish in there. the bio cube was a nightmare, as everytime we put fish in theyd die, the fish store kept giving us ideas, but the fish kept dying, kept checking the water temp and ph levels, and finally the fish survived, now the tank is full of snails... dont get a bio-cube its a nightmare

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

You have to treat your water and let the tank run for 30 days with some regular goldfish in it. Then 86 the goldfish and you should be good.

constrictor
    constrictor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1473

siamese fighting fish never die believe me

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

Quote Originally Posted by pattymayo View Post
    someone post a pic of your aquariaum
    Used to have a 55 gallon aquarium, now have this. Much more enjoyable. Fish are healthy outside.
    Attached Images

GmCrazy
    GmCrazy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fish can make great pets, kids love them too.

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

Quote Originally Posted by constrictor View Post
    siamese fighting fish never die believe me
    Life span.
    2 years

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

i got a 55 gallon regular-water tank. I got a few of them walmart goldfish for 10 cents back in the early 2000's and now their freakin huge....also have 2 algae sucker fish to keep the tank clean...their old as hell also.

constrictor
    constrictor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1473

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    Life span.
    2 years

I mean they never die bc of bad water or low oxygen.