ClimbSomeRocks
    ClimbSomeRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Working out, then drinking alcohol

I've heard things about alcohol deteriorating muscles, or inhibiting muscle recovery, and also dehydration.

Anyone have experience with this, or know where I can reference information about this issue?

Would it be better for muscle's and muscle growth to work out, then drink later that night. Or to not drink at all. I'm 6ft 170lbs with a very high metabolism, trying to put on 10 lbs (of all muscle). If I do put on fat, I'll easily be able to get rid of it with my high metabolism and active lifestyle

DevilCheese
    DevilCheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4983

as long as your macros are otherwise in order, drinking wont hurt you too much, but id stick to lower calorie drinks like diet coke/whiskey or shots

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14864

Drinking before workouts is better - it gets the adrenaline going! Smirnoff Ice works well!

frognose20
    frognose20's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 185

Drinking will reduce your results but as long as you have good post workout nutrition and drink at least an hour later (the later the better) it wont hurt you much unless your trying to loose weight. As long as the dehydration if you drink some gateraid type drink in between drinks you'll be ok. Usually 1 bottle for a night of heavy drinking is good enough for me but if its just a beer or two it wont dehydrate you much if you drink enough water during the day.

Tackleberry
    Tackleberry's Avatar Become A Pro!

If it's just a couple drinks I wouldn't give it a second thought. I would still want to have at least a bit of a time gap between my workout and when I drink. If you're talking more about binge drinking it is certainly far from ideal but as long as the rest of your diet is solid and it's not a regular thing its negative effects will be minimal.

charlesbroccoli
    charlesbroccoli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5829

Drinking after a work out should be fine, but like what everyone else is saying, as long as you are not binge drinking. It would be better to drink a bit of diet coke or coffee before a work out, since the caffeine helps with adrenaline as well as metabolism.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

you know what's better...drinking alcohol and working out at the same time

Stinger
    Stinger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Not a good idea, take a look at this, http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...cle_gains.html

rumple
    rumple's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12801

Who cares drink all you want working out is lame.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol. hahaha ^

rumple dont give a shit.

but i'd say if you were working out regularly, dont drink.

Tackleberry

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Not a good idea, take a look at this, http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...cle_gains.html
    What that article says shouldn't surprise anyone but it shouldn't stop people from drinking either. If you're an elite athlete who wants to get ever last bit of performance out of your body don't drink. Otherwise alcohol can be part of a healthy lifestyle and I promise unless you binge to excess on a regular basis it is not going to have any negative impact that you will notice.

ClimbSomeRocks

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    good article, mostly just talks about it being bad for you. I've always known that alcohol isn't good for you in large quantities, but girls make it pretty tough to say no on a weekend

I'm in college, so mostly referring to binge drinking. I know a few drinks won't have a big negative impact. I went out last night and I definitely feel more sore than I usually do after lifting. I did however do a pretty intense workout, then hit up the rock climbing gym, then played some basketball. A little more exertion than I am used to.

Tackleberry

I'd like to add that if a couple pounds of lean body mass means more to you than the ability to have a few drinks and get a nice buzz going when hanging out with some friends then I feel really really sad for you.

Don't be afraid to live your life.

keenecharger21
    keenecharger21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

just stay to drinking water lol water>>beer-liq

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

all you need to know is alcohol is bad in the long run

dizzy_7
    dizzy_7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It is just working against working out, but there is no problems with drinking alcohol after a workout.

What about sports people who play a game then go drink afterwards!

rem sleep
    rem sleep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18837

Drinking alcohol dehydrates the body. It turns off the part of the brain that makes your body absorb nutrients in water thats already in your system. Thats why you always gotta piss when you drink booze. Your pissing out all the nutrients and vitamins thats in your system.

What I would recommend is to get your workout in early. Then at night go drink but after your done drinking, drink lots of water and some gatorade or orange juice. The more alcohol you drink the more water and gatorade you should drink before going to bed. That way when you do your workout the next day your body wont be as dehydrated.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

Bad idea!!

ClimbSomeRocks

Quote Originally Posted by rem sleep View Post
    Drinking alcohol dehydrates the body. It turns off the part of the brain that makes your body absorb nutrients in water thats already in your system. Thats why you always gotta piss when you drink booze. Your pissing out all the nutrients and vitamins thats in your system.

What I would recommend is to get your workout in early. Then at night go drink but after your done drinking, drink lots of water and some gatorade or orange juice. The more alcohol you drink the more water and gatorade you should drink before going to bed. That way when you do your workout the next day your body wont be as dehydrated.
    I'm guessing taking whey would have also helped? I've noticed a big impact on soreness when I take Protein whey with amino acids vs just drinking water. Gaterade / oj would definitely help replenish lost vitamins.

Glad to hear that my workout wasn't useless after drinking though