katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pirates? WTF!

I just need to let off some steam here. I am sick and tired of reading abt the
    dreaded Somali pirates. There has to be some kind of racial component to this thing that this old country boy is missing.

I would guess every single ship that far out has GPS and excellent radio/satellite links etc. I would also guess someone is on lookout and could see another dingy approaching from a good distance off.

Now, if someone really wanted to stop these fools, every ship who spotted a "possible" would signal this in and a helicopter, sea plane or even a fighter jet would be dispatched. The second its a confirmed pirate boat--it is blasted out of the water. No survivor pickup. This would only need to go on for a month and pirate business would dry up quickly.

In fact, 5 Texans with a good pontoon boat, case of beer or 2 and a few AK's and grenades could handle it I imagine.

So I need to be enlightened on why/how this is a continuing problem?!

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

They generally hit slow moving undefend ships. Agree it wouldnt take much to end their nonsense. Could be great training experience for different groups.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am bumping this cause I am more convinced than before that "race" is playing a role in no one doing anything abt these scum. If these were "swedish" pirates or nazi skin head pirates these guys would have been wiped out and their villages burned to the ground.

Got to be some common sense somewhere abt this mess.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

We have a Coast Guard in the US and people and drugs are smuggled every day.

Now imagine a coast line like Somalia who is not patrolled by the Coast Guard. You have to use hundreds of planes and vessels stationed along the Somalian coast line which is vast to patrol the movement of every single boat.

drunkenbeaver
    drunkenbeaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

Everything comes down to money. In this case, my guess is nobody is getting paid enough to stop it.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Was listening abut this today on NPR during my drive into work. They were saying its believed that the pirates have ties to Middle East business men and they plunder from India to Madagascar. If these things are true they must have some serious sea fairing boats, not just a few guys and an outboard motor.

I think a relatively simple way to end these clowns would be to set up decoys. Outfit some yachts with weaponry and crew them with a few military folks and send them out. Fire on any suspicious craft that approaches.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

C0nkette
    C0nkette's Avatar Become A Pro!

^^RubberKettle you have it right. They have a benefactor for their plundered treasures.

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

Quote Originally Posted by katstale View Post
    I am bumping this cause I am more convinced than before that "race" is playing a role in no one doing anything abt these scum. If these were "swedish" pirates or nazi skin head pirates these guys would have been wiped out and their villages burned to the ground. Got to be some common sense somewhere abt this mess.
    Has nothing to do with race. No they don't just blast them out of the water but they do some things. But like it has been said they go after big slow moving ships most of the time. The companies they work for don't allow them to be armed for the most part so they have fire hoses to defend themselves.

I read a story about a sail boat with an older couple in it sailing the world. I think they sailed past that area with another boat. When they seen the pirates coming one guy when below and came up with a rifle. He shot at them and chased them off.

The story is that other countries are fishing in their waters. This causes over fishing and hurts them. Because of this they have a hard time making a living. If this is the case it will take more than a month of blasting pirates to stop it.

Something has to be done but who is going to pay for it? I have seen a show that had the US Navy patrolling and stopping boats to see if they were pirates. Someone has to pay for it and from what I hear they country itself doesn't have the money or doesn't care enough to do it themselves.

James

BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Personally, I have a couple of problems....mainly who are the idiots sailing threw Somolian waters with a family....

Roy Halladay
    Roy Halladay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

bastards. I agree

Smogs
    Smogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 499

$10bn it costs the economies of the world per year

treece
    treece's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

they should just bomb somalia. then after bomb libya since they're in the neighborhood.

cloudagh
    cloudagh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

I agree you don't actually have to patrol the waters. You just place an international group of ships equadistance from each other throughout this area. When the call comes in from ships that they are being approached, it would be a matter of minutes for a jet to be on top of the pirate ship. The problem would go away almost over night.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by cloudagh View Post
    I agree you don't actually have to patrol the waters. You just place an international group of ships equadistance from each other throughout this area. When the call comes in from ships that they are being approached, it would be a matter of minutes for a jet to be on top of the pirate ship. The problem would go away almost over night.
    There are huge cost in having ships sit there waiting. One has to be big enough to handle the jets you want so that means an air craft carrier. Have you ever seen the amount of crew in one of those?

Might be cheaper/easier to have a small crew of Marines on board boats passing by that area. Just like you would have a harbour captain take a ship into a harbour.

James

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post
    Personally, I have a couple of problems....mainly who are the idiots sailing threw Somolian waters with a family....
    I agree. If your going through that area your better off waiting for other boats. And there really should be firearms on all of the boats. If not it would just be one stop shopping for the pirates.

James

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

I'm pretty sure there's an international law banning guns on boats. If they change that and let boats actually defend themselves, the pirates will start getting the hint that not every boat is an easy target, and back down

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

They have never been the same since the days of Bonds, Bonilla, and Van Slyke.

lol

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's an international law banning guns on boats. If they change that and let boats actually defend themselves, the pirates will start getting the hint that not every boat is an easy target, and back down
    As far as I can tell there is no international law. Its when you enter the waters of certain countries you can be jailed for it. In some areas they say you just have to hand them over till you leave.

I'm not huge on guns but if I was traveling by boat with my family I would like to have one. If someone comes on your boat I'm sure they will be armed.

James