brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

ya about 4 months old, what are you talking about?

LED-LCD is the best you can get right now for a tv.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

which is 4-month old?

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    ya about 4 months old, what are you talking about?

LED-LCD is the best you can get right now for a tv.
    nope

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Everyone has mention LED-LCD, refresh rate and vizio's Also check on on the contrast ratio the higher it is the better. The new tvs have ratios like 6,000,000:1 which is ridiculous.
    That actually isn't true. Contrast ratio means nothing b/c there is no standard for testing it. A company can basically use any contrast ratio it wants. And even if it was accurate, it really isn't that important. Research it if you don't believe me.

You want to pay more attention to things like the refresh rate (the hz number, the higher the better). The higher the refresh rate the smoother the picture will be when you watch things in fast pace like sports. and pay attention to whether it's a 1080p or 720p or whatever. Stuff like that actually matters.

brooks85

They are the same thing

An LED or LED-LCD tv is an LCD tv with an LED backlight.

They have just started being marketed big time within the past few months, especially this month. That is why you can get tvs cheaper than black friday sales because stores are trying make room for the new generation.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BettingGeek View Post
    nope
    and what in your opinion is the best now?

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

They are the same thing

An LED or LED-LCD tv is an LCD tv with an LED backlight.

They have just started being marketed big time within the past few months, especially this month. That is why you can get tvs cheaper than black friday sales because stores are trying make room for the new generation.
    again, LED is old school ...
    2-3 years old technology

brooks85

Contrast definitely makes a difference and I have researched it. What you are talking about tree is static contrast ratio to dynamic contrast ratio, the two different measurements. I can go into more detail but dynamic is all that matters.

Go stand in front of two tvs with two vastly different ratios and put on a dark lit movie, you will see a big difference.

The contrast ratio is the range of the lightest whites and darkest blacks your tv can make, so I would definitely say it is worth noting especially if you are looking for the best.
    Last edited by brooks85; 01-26-11 at 08:28 PM.

brooks85

It cant be old school when there is nothing new or better.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

It cant be old school when there is nothing new or better.
    lol ...
    now, you are old school ...

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

You want this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LG-OLED-TV-1...#ht_2830wt_901

they are about to mass production higher screen sizes this year

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

have a great LG that we got about 5 years ago, amazing how much cheaper TV's are now for something that much better too

blackbeSSt

You want this?

take your 15" and shove it

Tree Rollins

Contrast definitely makes a difference and I have researched it. What you are talking about tree is static contrast ratio to dynamic contrast ratio, the two different measurements. I can go into more detail but dynamic is all that matters. Go stand in front of two tvs with two vastly different ratios and put on a dark lit move, you will see a big difference.
    There is no standard to test Contrast ratio though. So everyone tests it different. Meaning that depending on how you test it, you can come up with whatever results you want. Sony could do a test that shows there contrast ratio to be 8000000000:1, and then the way phillips test's it, that same TV could only be 50000:1 by their standard. So basically the contrast ratio means nothing. It would matter if the number was legitimate, but there is literally no such thing as a 100% legit contrast ratio, b/c there is no standard to test it.

The idea of contrast ratio is real. If their was a standard to test it, then yeah, a higher number would be better. But the companies can literally advertise any contrast ratio they feel like b/c they can test it however they want. So it doesn't matter.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    take your 15" and shove it
    well there is 50", can you afford it .... They showed it in Las Vegas about 2 weeks ago
    seem like most of us barely afford 15" so I posted here so you all can open your eyes ..

brooks85

2-3 years old technology

well technically you are wrong it is decades old technology.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

ok, whatever, I was talking about LED-TV, now you know that LED-TV is old school?

brooks85

You need a hobby

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

gambling is my hobby
    aren't we all?

brooks85

2Bdown
    2Bdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

You want this?

are the LG binoculars included in this model???

2Bdown
    2Bdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

well there is 50", can you afford it .... They showed it in Las Vegas about 2 weeks ago
    seem like most of us barely afford 15" so I posted here so you all can open your eyes ..
    CES also had the LG 180 inch screen on display in vegas. Cost $500,000. Only selling it to corporations at this point.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bdown View Post
    CES also had the LG 180 inch screen on display in vegas. Cost $500,000. Only selling it to corporations at this point.
    180 inch is for LED/LCD I think
    50-55 for OLED was displayed

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

go to newegg or bensbargains to find some good deals on TVs.

I have no idea if someone mentioned those sites yet but I don't wanna read thru all these posts

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Thanks for all the input. Hey, been reading some stuff that says most of the features that they advertise in higher and higher numbers, like 1080 Vs 720p, 120 Vs 60 hz, etc, are barely visible and just a way for them to seem better/ charge more. Anyone compare and notice difference? Like I might get a Samsung 32" for only 360 bucks with the lower numbers.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Hey, been reading some stuff that says most of the features that they advertise in higher and higher numbers, like 1080 Vs 720p, 120 Vs 60 hz, etc, are barely visible and just a way for them to seem better/ charge more. Anyone compare and notice difference? Like I might get a Samsung 32" for only 360 bucks with the lower numbers.
    there is a difference in 1080/720 and the hz rate. its not just a gimmick. if you can afford a 1080, pop on it. if not there is absolutely nothing wrong with 720. don't buy something just cause we told you too

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

No gimmicks.

Well I can tell you, my Sony 46" LCD is only a 60HZ refresh rate (No 120HZ or 240HZ at the time), and I don't see ghosting. It is however, 1080P. I wouldn't purchase a 720P. I recommend 1080P @ 120HZ as the lowest for a new TV purchase. I'm sure you would be happy with something lower, coming from a old tube TV. It will look 10 times better then that thing.

Daverrd
    Daverrd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

if you get a samsung do a google search for the model first, some of them have probs..
    used to be worse with their plasmas, not sure what their newer ones are like.
    and if u do get one, make sure u get the extended warranty, may cost a little extra but saved me a lot of hassles

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Update: have not purchased yet, as I got myself pretty wrapped up in researching and checking them out in the store. Gotta say, the picture on the Sony Bravias blew me away. All the TVs are great but the Bravia picture is so crisp/accurate it's unreal.

I also felt I definitely saw the difference in 1080p, so getting that, plus even saw difference in 120 hz. Guess I'll be overspending! What stinks is that I could go a small amount more (although it's already getting up there) and get a huge one, but just doesn't make sense with my normal viewing proximity in my place! Kind of a waste, but that's what it is. Will prob end up around 600 for a Sony 1080 120 32-inch. But we'll see. Man it's rough not having a TV during this process!!! :-D

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I was reading that film and video have 24 or 30 frames per second, and having an exact multiple of those preserves the cadence of the film. 120 is a multiple of both. 60 isn't.

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO

Update: have not purchased yet, as I got myself pretty wrapped up in researching and checking them out in the store. Gotta say, the picture on the Sony Bravias blew me away. All the TVs are great but the Bravia picture is so crisp/accurate it's unreal. I also felt I definitely saw the difference in 1080p, so getting that, plus even saw difference in 120 hz. Guess I'll be overspending! What stinks is that I could go a small amount more (although it's already getting up there) and get a huge one, but just doesn't make sense with my normal viewing proximity in my place! Kind of a waste, but that's what it is. Will prob end up around 600 for a Sony 1080 120 32-inch. But we'll see. Man it's rough not having a TV during this process!!! :-D
    IMO save your money - not really worth getting 1080p and 120hz on a 32 inch. if you are used to looking at a 27" tube from 3 feet away ANY hd TV is gonna look awesome

Tree Rollins

Update: have not purchased yet, as I got myself pretty wrapped up in researching and checking them out in the store. Gotta say, the picture on the Sony Bravias blew me away. All the TVs are great but the Bravia picture is so crisp/accurate it's unreal. I also felt I definitely saw the difference in 1080p, so getting that, plus even saw difference in 120 hz. Guess I'll be overspending! What stinks is that I could go a small amount more (although it's already getting up there) and get a huge one, but just doesn't make sense with my normal viewing proximity in my place! Kind of a waste, but that's what it is. Will prob end up around 600 for a Sony 1080 120 32-inch. But we'll see. Man it's rough not having a TV during this process!!! :-D
    That's what i have, a Sony Bravia. Love it so far.

sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

The thing that everyone fails to mention are you on cable or satellite(Direct TVor one of the others) cause if your not using HD TV signals it really doesn't matter. I just bought a 55" Visio from Wally world for under a dime last week. 1080P HD Ready only 120Hz. Great TV had them before and great pricing.

NYER5680
    NYER5680's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 77

Sony Bravia beautiful picture

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Update: have not purchased yet, as I got myself pretty wrapped up in researching and checking them out in the store. Gotta say, the picture on the Sony Bravias blew me away. All the TVs are great but the Bravia picture is so crisp/accurate it's unreal.

I also felt I definitely saw the difference in 1080p, so getting that, plus even saw difference in 120 hz. Guess I'll be overspending! What stinks is that I could go a small amount more (although it's already getting up there) and get a huge one, but just doesn't make sense with my normal viewing proximity in my place! Kind of a waste, but that's what it is. Will prob end up around 600 for a Sony 1080 120 32-inch. But we'll see. Man it's rough not having a TV during this process!!! :-D
    Check out CNET.com. Great HD tv reviews.

First 123 Last