Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Need a new TV (will get HD), any tips on great deals?

My old tube TV just shit the bed, won't turn on!

Tomorrow I will get a new one.

I have a small place and watch my TV pretty close (presently have a 27-inch old TV), so also would like to know what size makes sense for me in HD.

Thanks!!

geebert74
    geebert74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

I swear by the samsung televisions... They are a little bit more then other brands but I think they have the best picture by far.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Samsung or LG. Get LED if you want blu ray like quality on regular television shows. If you wanna go cheap, get an Insignia at BestBuy.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I have a Samsung 46 inch LED tv and its absolutely amazing. Also have a 32 inch LG thats really nice, its an LCD. Since you were happy with the 27 inch before, I wouldnt go any bigger than a 32. If you got a small place, anything bigger will be a waste, plus you have to be further away from a bigger TV to get the best picture.

I would say get an LG and stay around the 32 inch mark. Happy shopping.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6489

check fatwallet.com daily. great deals

Vegas_bond
    Vegas_bond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10099

Ill take the advice. Buying a Samsung.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Samsung. The tv's with the best picture, usually start around 42 inches.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Panasonic

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

I'd go with the Vizio over Insignia for cheap option.....great TV other than a small percentage of them having sound issues...but if it hapens...just switch it out. They are easy to setup and have HDMI ports in back and on side. As well as USB. Good luck.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

all basically the same SON

dO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO BUYING NAME BRAND AND PAYING 25% MORE

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Panasonic
    this man speaks the truth

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

oy

shaggy3000
    shaggy3000's Avatar Become A Pro!

ive got a Mitsubishi and i love it. its like 4 or 5 years old now and still works perfect. but i got the big screen with DLP figured if it was good enough for the movie theaters its good enough for me. they have smaller ones with newer tech. now. i would look at those. great price for what you get

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I've got a Samsung. Love it.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

get a samsung 42" ... LED if possible, 1080p would be better than 720p (more future-proof) and get a refresh rate of at least 240hz ... I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it ... Do you have HD service ? Blue Ray player ? (if not a 720p would probably work at a much lower price)

If i were you i'd avoid best buy like the plague ... you can buy online and save around 20% and pay no sales tax and also get free shipping .. look at tiger direct, newegg and/or J&R & amazon to compare prices.

Wade Dwayne
    Wade Dwayne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Panasonic
    Just got a Viera neo 50 inch. By far the best tv i have ever had.

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

I just bought another phillips led tv, this one is a 40" and its a great picture,JMO.

later

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Get the latest consumer reports. They love Samsung and Panasonic.

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

2Bdown
    2Bdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 223

If you want the best TV experience I would recommend a LED as opposed to plasma or LCD. You also have the option of 3D now. you should get a TV with a min. 240 MHz refresh rate. This will dramatically improve sports viewing. Also if you have wifi in your home you should get a TV the has wifi built in. Not sure what your price range is but amazon has a 46" LED 3D Tv with 2 pairs of glasses and 3D blu-ray player for under $1300. No tax and free shipping too

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Depends on what you want. CR rates TV's and you will get unbiased reporting not only from them but also direct response from owners. Watch out for some internet really cheap prices they may be refurbished. Nothing wrong with that but know they are refurbished.

You can download "invisible hand" which will give you the cheapest price of any electronic, look into that. Amazon almost always has a great price. But, they get beat sometimes by a few other internet giants. Check it out.

onizuka
    onizuka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2533

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bdown View Post
    If you want the best TV experience I would recommend a LED as opposed to plasma or LCD. You also have the option of 3D now. you should get a TV with a min. 240 MHz refresh rate. This will dramatically improve sports viewing. Also if you have wifi in your home you should get a TV the has wifi built in. Not sure what your price range is but amazon has a 46" LED 3D Tv with 2 pairs of glasses and 3D blu-ray player for under $1300. No tax and free shipping too
    Cannot agree more, LED is the best choice for picture quality, colors show more vivid in LED screen

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

1080P and not 720P.
    At least 120HZ refresh rate. 240HZ is better.

Not sure you need all that 3D stuff, but maybe look into that, if you want to future proof your investment. Also the internet TV option is out there.
    Go to the stores (IE Bestbuy), and look the TV brands over. I buy Sony. Samsungs are good along with LG's. Careful on those brands you never heard of, they can have all sorts of problems.

This will be a 5 year or more investment, so think about spending to get what you want. If you had a 27" tube, a 32" to 40" might be good enough for you. Again, go to the stores and look over the sizes.

Enjoy your new TV.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Thanks for the tips, but most of you guys are missing one of the main points from my post above.

I am a loser living in a small apartment. Most of the TV I watch, I watch lying on my stomach on my bed with the TV three feet in front of me!

Hopefully someday I'll be living the high life with a sweet pad and sitting on a $3,000 couch with the TV 10 feet away in my massive living room, but not now. (not to mention the fukkin issue I have w/ sore scar tissue on my back so I mostly just lie on my stomach... but anyway...)

So...

Does this change your recommendations?

I don't mind spending money as much as I'm worried about ruining my TV viewing by having the picture be too big for how close I am. Even though at movies I LIKE A big picture and sit in the sixth or seventh row pretty much.

drew17
    drew17's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just bought a new Sharp TV a few months ago. everything about it is awesome

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4579

27" or 32" LCD or LED will do you fine. Remember they are wider then the old tubes, but not as boxy.

I really suggest going to a electronics store to look some sizes and brands over, if you can. And if you need to, buy it online for a better deal if you can find one.

philswin
    philswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4640

32 inch Vizio at Walmart

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    27" or 32" LCD or LED will do you fine. Remember they are wider then the old tubes, but not as boxy.

I really suggest going to a electronics store to look some sizes and brands over, if you can. And if you need to, buy it online for a better deal if you can find one.
    Thanks, onlooker, and everyone.

I'm thinking 32" might make the most sense... but I also realize that when you're altering the shape, stuff that's watched in 4:3 instead of 16:9 is going to maybe seem smaller? Did that make sense? So I'm wondering if I can get away with 37" or if that will fukk me up by being too big for my situation. Hmm...

drunkenbeaver
    drunkenbeaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

wal-mart and best buy always have online specials. just be careful if you want 1080 compared to 720

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    Thanks for the tips, but most of you guys are missing one of the main points from my post above.

I am a loser living in a small apartment. Most of the TV I watch, I watch lying on my stomach on my bed with the TV three feet in front of me!

Hopefully someday I'll be living the high life with a sweet pad and sitting on a $3,000 couch with the TV 10 feet away in my massive living room, but not now. (not to mention the fukkin issue I have w/ sore scar tissue on my back so I mostly just lie on my stomach... but anyway...)

So...

Does this change your recommendations?

I don't mind spending money as much as I'm worried about ruining my TV viewing by having the picture be too big for how close I am. Even though at movies I LIKE A big picture and sit in the sixth or seventh row pretty much.
    Check out this HD distance calculator. Measure how many feet way from the tv you normally sit, and it will tell you the perfect size tv you need for best hd.
    http://www.dtvcity.com/lcdtv/lcdscreensize.html

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

Westinghouse

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

I bet JJ has an Insigna in his house

you gamble too much, pal

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Everyone has mentioned LED-LCD, refresh rate and vizios.

Also check on on the contrast ratio the higher it is the better. The new tvs have ratios like 6,000,000:1 which is ridiculous.
    Last edited by brooks85; 01-26-11 at 08:15 PM.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

I have a Sony Bravia and i like it. It costs a little more, but i decided to spend the extra money on a good brand after i bought a 26" RCA HD for $700 a few years ago and it crapped out on me after about a year.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    Everyone has mention LED, refresh rate and vizio's

Also check on on the contrast ratio the higher it is the better. The new tvs have ratios like 6,000,000:1 which is ridiculous.
    LED is old school, pal ...

123 Last