VegasM
    VegasM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

New career-need some advice.

Maybe some of you hustlers out there can help me out: I'm starting a completely new career in
    Sales and will be selling Ink, Toner, and various copier and office supplies out of an office. The problem
    is that I am on the North side of 50, and have worked in a family business for over 40 years of my life. Now it's like I'm starting all over.

The office consists of men and women, in their late 20's early 30's and I am by far
    the oldest in the office. Everything seems to be cordial, and I get along well with all the guys (I'm a life long gambler, sports better and poker player) so I have plenty to talk about, and the women all seem to adore the pictures of my 5 year old son, so I seem to be accepted by them despite the age difference.

But, It's a tough economy out there, and I'm having trouble hitting my number. They want me making 1K a day in sales, and that is tough even with 900 customers on my client list.

Can anybody give me some tips on getting by, I'm pretty good at telling people what they want to hear, but I'm not sure how do configure my smoke and mirrors in order to give my many managers the impression that I am their guy.

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

glengarry glen ross

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Selling that stuff is hard, and selling copy machines is hard work.

Zak
    Zak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 208

Sounds a tough job to me - good luck and hope it works out.

VegasM
    VegasM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Selling that stuff is hard, and selling copy machines is hard work.
    I can see that now, I guess that's why they did the favor of hiring me. One of the managers
    commented to me that she thought "I'd hit the floor running," since I had helped run and been a
    part of a family business so long. Her thinking is that I'd successfully sold business for myself, I should be able to for them. Well, that was a lifetime ago, and we're talking about the Reagan and Clinton years of economics.