gamble
    gamble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3984

i've heard of this but i am not sure if my family does it or not, and i have heard that garbage men can make upwards of $1K from tips

callysz
    callysz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9185

Our mailman doesn't come to the door, so no tip for him...

sundin4prez
    sundin4prez's Avatar Become A Pro!

there is absolutely no way i would ever tip my mailman.... just doesn't make sense to me....

soxwin
    soxwin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7162

Think about it,

you go to a restaurant once a week and a waiter brings you your food. Maybe he/she fills your drink a 2nd time and that is it. You tip him/her 15-20% of the bill. No cooking just bringing the food from the kitchen. Say your bill is $40 you are tipping him/her $8. Once a week for 52 weeks is $416/year just to bring you food from the kitchen...and you should tip him/her there is a service provided for you.

you go to get your haircut once a month or for the ladies styled once a month. You have to go to their shop, and then tip them after each cut. Then at xmas time you tip them another cost of one appointment. What did they do? make you come to them, then spend 20 minutes cutting your hair or styling for an hour. When all is said and done you probably have tipped your hair stylist anywhere from $40-$200...and you should tip him/her...there is a service provided for you

Now the mailperson doesn't make you go to them like the restaurant or the barber, the mailperson comes to your house 300 days a year. Unlike in some countries where you have to go to the PO to pick up your mail every day. They do their job outside in whatever climate there is summer heat, winter cold, pouring rain, etc...All this so you don't have to get off your ass and get it yourself.

People are willing to tip a restaurant waiter $416, barber/Stylist 40-$200, and you have to go to them. But a mailperson who comes to you 6 days a week in all kinds of weather you wouldn't tip?? Would you rather have to go to the PO to pick up your mail every day?? If you had to go to the PO every week to pick up your Sports Illustrated,Maxim, cosmo..whatever, How likely would you do it?? Most wouldn't bother b/c they are too lazy/busy

Simple rule to tipping anyone. If you appreciate the service they provide for you, tip them. If you don't think they make your life easier, then you don't.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

I suppose if you get good service or something it would make sense...as mentioned above, if they leave packages at your door when they could make you go to post office, w/e, then maybe a tip...either way, a c note?? Kind of ridiculous, but hey, if you've got it, then w/e works I guess.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68569

Always used to back in the day and when he came to the door.
    Used to tip the trash crew also every xmas.Used to be the same guys all year.
    Not the same anymore so it seems.

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14876

Have given a gift card a few times, but not in a while. Our mailman became our landscaper five years ago and for what he gets to cut lawns, it's enough of a gift.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

My old man is a retired mailman... not only money, but food, booze, all sorts of shit... easily a grand in tips holiday season
    Last edited by zam77; 01-08-11 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

Chuck Sims
    Chuck Sims's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 860

I gave my mailman $200. You should tip him at least $100 at Christmas and another $100 for his birthday.

Joe Dogs
    Joe Dogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 593

I tip garbage guy,newspaper girl and the Mailman....Usually a 20 spot.

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

$20 for each of the four garbageman and recycling guys (yet they still toss the container onto my new and sensitive landscaping) and a $25 gift-card for the mail carrier. Cash for the mail carrier seems weird to me. We have a great realtionship and often shot the shit for a while when I'm home and he's making deliveries. It would've felt weird to give him straight cash. I would also tip the UPS/FedEx people if we had the same one every time but we don't.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by soxwin View Post
    Think about it,

you go to a restaurant once a week and a waiter brings you your food. Maybe he/she fills your drink a 2nd time and that is it. You tip him/her 15-20% of the bill. No cooking just bringing the food from the kitchen. Say your bill is $40 you are tipping him/her $8. Once a week for 52 weeks is $416/year just to bring you food from the kitchen...and you should tip him/her there is a service provided for you.

you go to get your haircut once a month or for the ladies styled once a month. You have to go to their shop, and then tip them after each cut. Then at xmas time you tip them another cost of one appointment. What did they do? make you come to them, then spend 20 minutes cutting your hair or styling for an hour. When all is said and done you probably have tipped your hair stylist anywhere from $40-$200...and you should tip him/her...there is a service provided for you

Now the mailperson doesn't make you go to them like the restaurant or the barber, the mailperson comes to your house 300 days a year. Unlike in some countries where you have to go to the PO to pick up your mail every day. They do their job outside in whatever climate there is summer heat, winter cold, pouring rain, etc...All this so you don't have to get off your ass and get it yourself.

People are willing to tip a restaurant waiter $416, barber/Stylist 40-$200, and you have to go to them. But a mailperson who comes to you 6 days a week in all kinds of weather you wouldn't tip?? Would you rather have to go to the PO to pick up your mail every day?? If you had to go to the PO every week to pick up your Sports Illustrated,Maxim, cosmo..whatever, How likely would you do it?? Most wouldn't bother b/c they are too lazy/busy

Simple rule to tipping anyone. If you appreciate the service they provide for you, tip them. If you don't think they make your life easier, then you don't.
    There is a big difference here in that waiters get paid like $2 an hour plus their tip. Mailmen get a good income. Also, I once had 1/2 inch of snow on my steps about 8 years ago and the mailman didn;t deliver. I called to complain and they said if the mailman feels he could get hurt, he doesn;t have to deliver the mail. Ok, this makes sense, but 1/ inch of snow on 3 steps?

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Have been doing it for that past 20 some years. It tends to give you just a little bit better service, and it is the right thing to do. Mail people, paper kid, barber.
    I didnt tip mine this year and the mail only comes on Friday and half of it is opened now

Mailman also left a note saying you ****** with the wrong mailman, merry christmas roosterlicker!
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 01-08-11 at 11:59 AM.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by D. Brackets View Post
    although this is true..... its impossible to prove
    You are correct. I'm not implying to rat on your mailman becuase if you didn't like him/her, you wouldn't have tipped them. Rather I find it interesting they are risking their employment. maybe it is just something that is swept under the rug.

I would be interested in anyone here having their mailman return cash and say that can't accept it based on this rule.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I'm trying to think of a situation in which I would give a government employee gratuity. Coming up blank.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11660

Quote Originally Posted by robmpink View Post
    There is a big difference here in that waiters get paid like $2 an hour plus their tip. Mailmen get a good income. Also, I once had 1/2 inch of snow on my steps about 8 years ago and the mailman didn;t deliver. I called to complain and they said if the mailman feels he could get hurt, he doesn;t have to deliver the mail. Ok, this makes sense, but 1/ inch of snow on 3 steps?
    Maybe you shouldn't be a cheap fvk at Christmas then.

soxwin

letter carriers make about 50k a year, not exactly a kings ransom. Maybe if you live in the boonies that might get you by. If you live anywhere near a major city, where the cost of living is insane, you aren't living high on the hog on 50k
    Last edited by soxwin; 01-08-11 at 12:57 PM.

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

50k is a very respectable wage, higher than the average income for sure

luciano
    luciano's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, $20 and a box of Rosalind chocolates(local famous candy company).

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

my mailman sucks so no but to answer dads question yes ups guy, gardner, and a few others would get holiday tip from my mom and dad

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11989

my neighborhood has a rotation of mailmen, so don't tip.

unless supposed to tip them all, which seems excessive.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

thats sunny so cal if you live in the midwest or where there is weather like snow you should tip imo

Holdin Aces
    Holdin Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 542

Can't speak for a mailman but I used to be a Schwan's man and I got PAID at Christmas. One of my customers bought me a $350 dollar Duke leather jacket(which I never wore and ended up re-gifting).

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4663

letter carriers make about 50k a year, not exactly a kings ransom. Maybe if you live in the boonies that might get you by. If you live anywhere near a major city, where the cost of living is insane, you aren't living high on the hog on 50k
    Really? If anyone can't make 50K a year work for them, they need help. But a lot of people try to live with the Jones's and get to far in debt for 50K to work.

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

I hate my mail carrier would never tip her, she constantly misdelivers the mail in my condo complex. Everybody that lives here hates her and calls the Postmaster to complain about this incompetent POS.

She doesn't deliver ( here) on snow days at all , takes a day for the landscapers to get the snow removed from around the back of the community gang mailbox, so pulls up in her LLV and just drives away because of the snow, she's not big on credos like " in snow, sleet,rain.....yadayadayada" More like Newman who doesn't work in the rain !

I'm a former postal worker BTW, did 5+ years and quit. I was not a carrier, I worked inside unloading trucks on graveyard shift. I felt somewhat overpaid but it was justifiable because of all the ******* assholes and BS I had to put up with.

USPS workers are overpaid in general. One doesn't even need a HS diploma to work there. Many guys there are retired military already getting a pension after 20 years in the Army or other branches of military service.

Carriers ( and all career USPS employees) get to about $20+ / hour after about 5 years and at 5 years get about 4 weeks vacation a year plus generous sick time and great benefits and a pension.

50k is about right for a topped out carrier ( 12 or so years service, but you get most of your raises in the 1st 3-4 years , so a 5 year guy gets nearly as much). It may not be great money in a place like Boston...but for the skills you need it is great money ! It's real good money down South !

USPS is a miserable place to work but the pay is good. Carriers have a tougher job but they at least get out of the building most of the day and away from the inside BS.

The tips for carriers is an old practice, no attention is paid to technical rules on it. I'd only tip the carrier if they provided really top-notch service beyond the call of duty, like putting my packages on the back porch, by request ( so they don't get stolen) or something like that.

I'm sure the job sucks bad now with no O/T and more demands from management, but it is still 3X + minimum wage with good benies.

soxwin

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Really? If anyone can't make 50K a year work for them, they need help. But a lot of people try to live with the Jones's and get to far in debt for 50K to work.
    You obviously live nowhere near a major city or live with your parents still.

50k is the average postal worker salary. about $825 a week before taxes about $575 after taxes or $2300 a month.

the average house in a major city is $250k or $1,600/mo for a 2 bedroom 1500 sq ft house nothing spacious and that is a low estimate based on you having great credit

Car payments($15k car again nothing fancy) = $350/month

add in insurance at another $100/Month if you are a step 9 driver

Just on those 3 things you are up to $2,050/month

Now add in the Necessities...
    1. Gas,
    2. Electricity
    3. Phone
    4. Cable or DTV
    5. Water Bill
    6. Food

Now you are about break even or below break even.

I didn't even include having fun or buying clothes. Or putting away for retirement

You want to try again on living on a 50k salary??

If you live in Lubec, maine or Grass Creek Wyoming, 50k is fine.

Live where actual civilization happens in major cities and you are fighting a losing battle on 50k a year.
    Last edited by soxwin; 01-08-11 at 03:03 PM.

stefank
    stefank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here in Europe the mailman doesn't come to the door anymore. Back in the days he used to deliver important papers. Not anymore. They leave an advice in the mail and you go to the nearest post office. So no tip. He's serving a bad service, the national post from here have not tracking numbers and stuff. Still like 10 years ago unfortunately. But private mail services are good but 5 times more expensive. At least ...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Wow. You put a lot into it. No, I'm far from living with my parents. I don't know, does Vegas qualify as a major city?

Yep with figures like you listed, if someones total household income is 50K and paying that on a house and a car are trying to live with the Jones's. No wonder America is in the shitter.

Mortgage or rent should never be more then 40% of anyones take home a month.
    Car payment, no one should ever have a car payment. Pay cash for that.

But most people live paycheck to paycheck, and that is just not healthy.

Yep, getting to far in debt to make 50K work. Summed it up great Sox.
    Last edited by onlooker; 01-08-11 at 03:16 PM.

soxwin

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Wow. You put a lot into it. No, I'm far from living with my parents. I don't know, does Vegas qualify as a major city? Yep with figures like you listed, if someones total household income is 50K and paying that on a house and a car are trying to live with the Jones's. No wonder America is in the shitter. Mortgage or rent should never be more then 40% of anyones take home a month. Car payment, no one should ever have a car payment. Pay cash for that. But most people live paycheck to paycheck, and that is just not healthy.
    Healthy ..no but reality absolutely

Vegas is a major city that is in major decline and the prices of everything reflect that. The only thing separating Vegas from Detroit right now is a better weather climate and people still want to take vacations to Vegas. The cost of living in Vegas isn't nearly what it was 4 years ago. You can buy a house in Vegas now for a song. 4 years ago?? Not so much

Like I said that is the average major city household , paying average major city prices nothing fancy, not living with the Jones's as you call it.

Davydave
    Davydave's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2008

I give him a bottle of wine.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Like I said that is the average major city household , paying average major city prices nothing fancy, not living with the Jones's as you call it.
    If they are living above their means, they are living with the Jones's. They should never get into that situation. And if it is more then one person in that so called household, that is even worse. Someone's total household income of 50K should never get approved for a $1600 mortgage, or even want one. That is sick. That is why so many foreclosures, people tried to buy something they couldn't afford.

All I am saying, you can live off 50K a year and be fine. Also having fun. But you can't put yourself in a debt hole. Maybe buying a house is out of the question. Find a nice place to rent, because their is nothing wrong with that. If you have to have a car payment, maybe something at 7500, not 15K. It can be done.

Nice debating with you Sox.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Have been doing it for that past 20 some years. It tends to give you just a little bit better service, and it is the right thing to do. Mail people, paper kid, barber.
    Better service??? So if you do not illegaly give your mailman money, your mail will show up late or what??

BTW, yes it is illegal for your mailman to take money from you for doing their job.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Thinking I should become a mailman. Sounds like a great job come December. And some of you give gifts on their birthday? How in the fukkkkk do you know when your mailman's birthday is??????

Oh, if my mailman was a mailwoman and she was hot as fukkkkkk I would give her something for X-mas. Dikkkkkkkkkkk. And she would deliver my packages to my front door like she should. She would be in love. I'm telling you.

Giving mailmen money for christmas? funny shit.

Tuna Fish Riot
    Hot dog nipples.
    Tuna Fish Riot's Avatar Become A Pro!

I always get the same mailman, UPS guy, and FedEx guy delivering me stuff. I always give them $100 each for Xmas because they give me outstanding service and continue to do so.

soxwin

You are completely missing the point.

Maybe you really think that everywhere in the country you can rent an apartment for $500 a month, or buy a house for $70k like you can in Vegas. You can't do that in Boston..or Chicago, NY or LA

Studio apartments go for $1,100, The cheapest houses in a bad section of town go for $150k. If you want cheaper then you have to move 50-60 miles away from the metroplis region. Then you need to pay $400/month in gas.

That isn't keeping up with the Jones's at all. That is just putting some kind of roof over your head. That is reality. People wo live there don't have a choice unless they want to move. 50k is nothing in today's world.

That is just the cost of living where the action is.

How bout them seahawks

First 1234 Last