JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47563

To check the population of certain cards, go here:

https://www.psacard.com/pop

It is very important to know how many of each card is out there in PSA 10, PSA 9 etc etc

JAKEPEAVY21

djefferis
    djefferis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 437

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    To check the population of certain cards, go here:

https://www.psacard.com/pop

It is very important to know how many of each card is out there in PSA 10, PSA 9 etc etc
    It is - but end of the day - population is just a factor in price.

How many 1989 Micheal Jordan out there with a 10 attached - vs say a 1989 Fleer Ricky Jordan with the same number.

Guessing the number of MJs far outweighs the supply of 1989 Ricky Jordan’s - but this is not solely about the number of “graded” examples - it’s also an overall supply - demand situation. No demand for one even in 10 condition. Yet there are always some suckers out there who will pay to slab a “worthless” card to have the “best” recorded example.

Now the guys who bought and slabbed “common” early 50s cards - especially of Yankees and Dodgers in high grades - they knew how to play the game. There will always be “team set” collectors from this era as well as set builders wanting to acquire the best possible. A lot easier to acquire the non big names and then hold out for the right offer from someone who “has to have it to fill a collection”. Not like you have a lot of competition selling - and although you won’t have a million people wanting to buy a 10 “common” ‘52 Topps - if you only have 1 - you don’t need a million buyers - just one with a million dollars to spend will work.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by djefferis View Post
    It is - but end of the day - population is just a factor in price.

How many 1989 Micheal Jordan out there with a 10 attached - vs say a 1989 Fleer Ricky Jordan with the same number.

Guessing the number of MJs far outweighs the supply of 1989 Ricky Jordan’s - but this is not solely about the number of “graded” examples - it’s also an overall supply - demand situation. No demand for one even in 10 condition. Yet there are always some suckers out there who will pay to slab a “worthless” card to have the “best” recorded example.

Now the guys who bought and slabbed “common” early 50s cards - especially of Yankees and Dodgers in high grades - they knew how to play the game. There will always be “team set” collectors from this era as well as set builders wanting to acquire the best possible. A lot easier to acquire the non big names and then hold out for the right offer from someone who “has to have it to fill a collection”. Not like you have a lot of competition selling - and although you won’t have a million people wanting to buy a 10 “common” ‘52 Topps - if you only have 1 - you don’t need a million buyers - just one with a million dollars to spend will work.
    I was speaking in general but of course cards of a superstar will be worth more than a "common" even if the population is higher.

I was referring more to the same card(base card vs numbered card for example). If you are buying for an investment, in most cases you are better off buying the numbered card vs the non numbered base card.

JAKEPEAVY21

Chucky, since you like hockey here are the only 2 that I own:

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24933

Jake, that's awesome. If you ever decide to sell the Mario RC, let me know.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Chuck have a bunch of ungraded hockey cards from that era. I’ll go through them tomm

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Chuck have a bunch of ungraded hockey cards from that era. I’ll go through them tomm
    OK, Philly. Thx.

If it's fairly high-end, I am doing some buying. Have been buying the last few weeks.

JAKEPEAVY21

Chucky, I'll probably hang on to those and 50-100 others long term.

The rest I will probably slowing selling and start decluttering and minimizing...I went a little crazy during the pandemic when crypto was going bananas and for the most part fared ok but did make numerous massive mistakes....live and learn.

I've come to the opinion that for the most part I do not want to physically hold any investments anymore, it takes up too much space.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Jake plus less u have to take when you relocate to the DR

JAKEPEAVY21

Jake plus less u have to take when you relocate to the DR
    Not the DR but maybe Portugal, Spain, Ecuador or some other countries that i have been researching....This year and next year will be visiting some places and maybe staying for weeks or months depending if I like it or not and get a better idea of how day to day life is. I do not like the way our country is trending but will see what happens this next election before I make any big decisions. I do want to prepare myself and be ready if I feel i need to get out.

As far as the cards, it is also a pain when you have work being done on your home or a house cleaner over as I have had to either hide or put everything in my car etc...there are a variety of reasons that I have come to realize it not making sense to have too many cards or any other physical asset you are actually holding at home.

As I previously stated, I will probably keep 50-100 cards longer term either as investments or just for a personal collection. Other than that, I'm going to start selling 300-400 graded cards and some other non graded ones to tidy things up.
    Last edited by JAKEPEAVY21; 01-02-24 at 12:36 PM.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Have a friend who lives in Ecuador. Loves it.

My next stop is Jaco when I finally call it a career.

Keep me posted on what you’re trying to sell. Sure I can help you out.

JAKEPEAVY21

Have a friend who lives in Ecuador. Loves it.

My next stop is Jaco when I finally call it a career.

Keep me posted on what you’re trying to sell. Sure I can help you out.
    Yeah, Ecuador looks pretty awesome from my research and their currency is the US dollar. It's beautiful in many areas there and money goes a long way...was also surprised to see how nice many homes are there and like the type of architectural style they use there.

Where is your buddy located, Quito?

The one thing that scares me about South/Central America as opposed to Europe are the cartels and kidnappings etc...safety is my #1 concern so I will visit but probably won't live there for an extended amount of time. That said, you could easily argue that our very own USA is far more dangerous to live in nowadays with mass shootings and all the political/social unrest etc...

I have hundreds of graded cards(most of which i sent in and graded myself) and want to move on from the lion's share. The problem is that card values have gone down quite a bit from a few years ago...might just throw everything in storage containers and revisit in a decade or so as I am not desperate enough for money to sell at pennies on the dollar.

If any of you have certain players you are looking for, let me know and I can show you what i have. I've got all different sports from baseball, football, soccer, basketball etc...no worries either way just throwing that out there. Might be easiest to find an investor that wants to buy bulk or collections at some point.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

They live near the beach in Bahia de Caraquiz

agreed this country has totally gone to shit. Just sad.

I’ll check out what I’m interested & let u know.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Love it. Dude, I thought about getting into buying storage unit foreclosures just hoping to run into a Jordan RC. LOL.
    Regarding MJ reprint replied to wrong post this dam little phone.
    The shit say it ain’t so yeah I missed that for sure just like the crypto rise and was in HS when domains started being bought and sold. FUKK.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14769

crazy that Gretzky only graded a 5
    for opc thats really good shape

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    You're right, Jay. That's a great-looking Gretzky card. Would expect a higher grade.

Off-Center (OC) is normally worth two grades. So, 7 (OC) = 5.

That card is shifted left, but the corners look sharp. Wonder if there's a harder-to-see issue on Surface/Edges.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    It's terribly off centered left to right but it is a rare card in any grade...

JAKEPEAVY21

PSA has a $14.99/per modern sports card special until the end of the month with a 10 card minimum and 50 day turnaround(business days)....I have 11 cards that I'm going to send in all numbered cards.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

PSA has a $14.99/per modern sports card special until the end of the month with a 10 card minimum and 50 day turnaround(business days)....I have 11 cards that I'm going to send in all numbered cards.
    jake for modern what do you mean?

EDIT. Just checked PSA. Thanks!
    Last edited by USCPHILLYGUY; 01-04-24 at 11:09 AM.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Exclusive to PSA Collectors Club Members?

199 membership fee. Yearly.

ChuckyTheGoat

Philly:

*You ever attend the Chantilly VA show?

Beckett has a nice submission booth there. Best price is for Bulk submission of 10+ cards. No membership fee.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Philly:

*You ever attend the Chantilly VA show?

Beckett has a nice submission booth there. Best price is for Bulk submission of 10+ cards. No membership fee.
    I have not. Was checking PSA site out. $25 per card unless you’re not in the collectors club. Crazy

JAKEPEAVY21

Yes you have to be a member. The past few years it was $99/year and my current subscription ends in a few months. I have really slowed down the past 6 months or so and was already thinking I might not renew and will probably be my last submission for awhile....the increased yearly fee likely made my decision for me.

ChuckyTheGoat

I have not. Was checking PSA site out. $25 per card unless you’re not in the collectors club. Crazy
    Yeah, Philly. I have about some of my experience with the graders:

1) I've actually never submitted to PSA. A few years ago, PSA prices went WAY UP. As if they KNEW that they were THE COMPANY to grade with.
    ...At the time, collectors were submitting modern, and the bump-up to PSA 10 (or 9) was enough to justify the fee.
    ...The $25 fee is high (but lower than what it was previously). IMHO, you need a pretty nice card ($200+ value??) to justify that much of an expense.

2) I used a company called CSG (not SGC) for one year. Annual membership, and I submitted four bulk orders.
    ...I don't recommend them at all. Don't send to CSG.
    ...CSG was strict on grading. And their re-sale value is bad. Even worse, they had major shipping problems.
    ...I could say more. But CSG sucks.

3) Only did one submission with Beckett.
    ...It was on a one-card high-end submission. Was very happy with their service.
    ...I will be submitting a 10-card bulk submission to Beckett. Will report back on my experience.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: USCPHILLYGUY

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

It's terribly off centered left to right but it is a rare card in any grade...
    Like I told Chuck - most of my cards from 88-89 Fleer Baskets (I bought a lot as a kid at the party store) are off-center. It's ridiculous and I don't even really care about my cards anymore. I've never sent one in for grading but I will find the best Jordan I have from that year and send it in as a start. If that turns out to be rough grade, then I will just stash them away until and if I make it to 65-70 years of age. Which is what I was going to do anyway.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

Chucky, I'll probably hang on to those and 50-100 others long term.

The rest I will probably slowing selling and start decluttering and minimizing...I went a little crazy during the pandemic when crypto was going bananas and for the most part fared ok but did make numerous massive mistakes....live and learn.

I've come to the opinion that for the most part I do not want to physically hold any investments anymore, it takes up too much space.

That Mario card you have is the one I lost in that trade for Hank Aaron. It was never recovered. The one I had was the worse off-centered card I had ever seen though. I mean it literally barely had the black border line on the left side showing. LOL. So, I don't think I lost much.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

You're right, Jay. That's a great-looking Gretzky card. Would expect a higher grade.

Off-Center (OC) is normally worth two grades. So, 7 (OC) = 5.

That card is shifted left, but the corners look sharp. Wonder if there's a harder-to-see issue on Surface/Edges.
    OPC are notorious for jagged edges, like it’s been cut with a dull blade. They stand out more in this set with the blue borders. A PSA 5 from this set is a like a 6 in most other sets,

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR

Let’s send our ungraded carts to Peavy!
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave USCPHILLYGUY 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

ChuckyTheGoat

One racket in card-grading is that the VOLUME-submission dealers normally get preferential treatment on grades. Makes too much sense to not be true.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

[IMG]mjrc[/IMG]
    Points Awarded:

JAKEPEAVY21 gave hehfest 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

3rd-yr Jordan. Heh, I love that card.

They look good, too. First one (on left) looks close to mint. I'm guessing those stickers are dated.

Current sales prices are about:
    $280 for PSA 9
    $180 for SGC 9

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO

3rd-yr Jordan. Heh, I love that card.

They look good, too. First one (on left) looks close to mint. I'm guessing those stickers are dated.

Current sales prices are about:
    $280 for PSA 9
    $180 for SGC 9
    [IMG]pipprc[/IMG]

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    Like I told Chuck - most of my cards from 88-89 Fleer Baskets (I bought a lot as a kid at the party store) are off-center. It's ridiculous and I don't even really care about my cards anymore. I've never sent one in for grading but I will find the best Jordan I have from that year and send it in as a start. If that turns out to be rough grade, then I will just stash them away until and if I make it to 65-70 years of age. Which is what I was going to do anyway.
    Most older paper cards(a lot of the new modern cards are on a thicker chrome paper stock) are very tough to get high grades on so I would not hold my breath for great grades.
    I have submitted cards for my neighbor numerous times.

I'd be happy to if you hand delivered the cards to me, otherwise it does not make a lot of sense for you or me and i do not want to be liable for any damages that potentially happen mailing the cards. I think my membership ends in a few months and I am not planning on renewing most likely.

JAKEPEAVY21

Just double checked and the standard membership is still $99/year which is a good deal assuming you have a fair amount of cards to send in.

The "Premium" membership is $199/year and I do not really see a good reason to do that one.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: USCPHILLYGUY

First 123456 ... Last