ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24911

Bands that should have changed their names with new lineups

This is just my PERSONAL OPINION. These bands changed materially after the lineup changes. So much so that keeping the same name made no sense:

*ULTRAVOX
    ...The John Fox lineup was from the classic punk era. Some may define it differently. The heavy synth sound was awesome. MUCH better than what was to follow.
    ...After Fox left, Midge Ure came on as the vocalist. IMHO, Ure's vocals don't match those of a young Fox. That said, the Midge-era Ultravox was pretty good. Main difference is that Ultravox became more commercial.

*GENESIS
    ...Some love the early Genesis with Peter Gabriel. Personally, I thought it was too weird and un-listenable.
    ...Amazingly, I found the departure to create TWO ACTS that I enjoyed. The early Peter Gabriel solo work was a unique sound: awesome! And I thoroughly enjoyed the Phil Collins-led reformed Genesis. Very pop, but very cool, too. The new Genesis had some great songs like "Mama" and "Abacab" and "Man on the Corner".

*PINK FLOYD
    ...This one hits home the hardest. What a fantastic band. But the truth is that Pink Floyd has to be viewed in as many as four segments:
    1) Early Syd Barrett-led band.
    2) Collaborative era.
    3) Roger Waters-led era, where Rogers' ego went to the moon.
    4) Post-Roger era.
    ...At their peak, Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands. So creative.
    ...Funny thing is that the Syd era is so long ago...that a lot of people don't even know who he was. The early stuff on "Pipers from the Gates of Dawn" was so experimental. Thought it sounded great.
    ...Syd's demise was quick. He did it to himself. The doctors said he burnt his mind to a crisp.
    ...DSOM and "The Wall" were classics. They say they didn't write DSOM to line up to "Wizard of Oz" but I'm convinced they did. I studied it, and the parallels are too strong.
    ...The David vs Roger war has been talked about. I acknowledge that David has been viewed as more "likable." Very true, Roger has an ego the size of a house. Just that I prefer Roger as an artist. I think his voice is so spooky.
    ...And I can't even listen to the post-Roger stuff. Roger really thought the last album he wrote was going to be the end of the band.
    Last edited by ChuckyTheGoat; 10-19-22 at 10:47 PM.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

I hear you Chuck, I hear you. But we got games.