Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Check in Home Solar Power Users

Have you ever felt ripped off by the measly payment you get for selling excess energy back to your electricity company?

A beer company has teamed up with an energy company and will pay a better than retail price for excess, if you don't mind that they pay you in home delivered beer.

https://cub.com.au/swap-solar-power-...first-program/

Love this idea.

Great way to make solar worth using.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

saloon

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It’s not really that big in the USA other than in real sunny climates don’t even know if it’s worth it

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It’s not really that big in the USA other than in real sunny climates don’t even know if it’s worth it
    It may not be if your local power company screws people on the buy back rate for extra.

The credit rate and beer price this uses = being paid more than a normal user has to pay for coal electricity per kw/h.

2000kw/hrs per month sent to the grid = $300 worth of beer at the retail price.

It's about $1000 installed for the extra panels to produce that, pays for itself in 3 months and then you have 6 x 24 packs of free beer delivered per month for as long as the deal goes on.

Seems too good to be true to me. But I am going for it.

I didn't realize the sunny states in USA weren't into solar.

Much better to pay local companies for the equipment up front than bleed money to the power companies for life. Seems like a very lefty California thing to want to do.

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

They already passed a bill in Cali that says all new homes need to have solar roof panels installed. Looks like Massachusetts is following suit:

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2021/03/...ial-buildings/

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

what's the downside to solar

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    what's the downside to solar
    It takes about 10 years to pay off the system.

And if you do not also buy a battery, you still need normal power supply. But the battery does pay for itself faster.

Its big in Australia as the govt did a massive subsidy scheme as part of stimulus package during the GFC and I think an average system only cost about 2k for the end user for along time. About 10k now. And 10k more for a Tesla battery if you want it. Or you can use your Tesla car.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

I just bought a $1500 solar generator.. I'm sold on them!! The lithium battery can power appliances for 7 days. You can plug in for fast charges or lay out the solar panels for charging.

I got the gas generator also on back up. Stored gas gets old and bad even with additives over the years. Gas generators make noise, Solar generators don't also.

https://generark.com/products/home-e...kaAnAVEALw_wcB

Pricey but worth it I think.. I'm in!!

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Thanks for posting that Jibby! I should probably pick up one of those myself. The power outages/shutoffs have been out of control in Cali over past couple years. Those gas generators are loud as fuk too so this is nice alternative.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by PromiseLand View Post
    Thanks for posting that Jibby! I should probably pick up one of those myself. The power outages/shutoffs have been out of control in Cali over past couple years. Those gas generators are loud as fuk too so this is nice alternative.
    Yup. (Solar) Lithium battery generators are the way to go now. It's just compact, light weight and so easy to use, quick plug in and power up just like that..

Great for camping if you're an outdoors man also when you think about it. Can't be beat..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 07-11-21 at 10:44 AM.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

I have a grid tied 3kw system and produce about 400kw per month. If I produce extra, I just get credit against future usage. For the most part, I produce less than I use so it's not an issue. Free beer would be nice though.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

what about the wind turbines i know yall got some wind in australia

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Home solar is BANK on your roof. Can lease it.

If you live in a very hot area and plan on living in your home for years then spend the $30,000 or so and get it done. Lease it to own if you don't have the money and work the numbers. I'm speaking in California. You do get creddits with the city and have the switch over option from solar to the ground electric company when ever you want.

My buddy has a house solar setup. He bought the house with the set up last year and lives out in the valley. It's probably 100 degrees now at his house. It works for him big time!!

He basically pays nothing for electricity. When you think about it and running the A/C all day in a house your electric bills can run up to $500-$1000 a month. Solar can save you from that.

It's cost efficient over the long haul I think if you want to go SOLAR and live in a hot zone. Find a good install deal and go with it. Check with the city for rebates and connection deals.