WillyBoy
    WillyBoy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8490

Covid 19 Data - Weekly Review - 7-14-20 to 7-20-20

As long as baseball opens Thursday, and nothing radical occurs on the pandemic front, this will be my last Covid 19 post.

In general, the world remains in a Coronavirus shitstorm, although Western Europe has, apparently, turned the corner. Having pretty much halted Covid 19 spread, “reopenings” there have been successful, with Germany leading the way. The U.S., with the worst numbers, by far, remains the pandemic outlier among the industrialized nations of the world – a position that is not improving. In the U.S., while the northeast is finally recovering, the American south has become an infectious sewer. Florida’s case rate growth is unrivalled, with states like Texas and Georgia not far behind.

FINAL THOUGHTS: While understanding that all politicians lie is basic American civics, Trump’s bizarre, recent claim that America’s Covid 19 deaths are among the fewest in the world, takes lying to a whole new plane. To even begin to accept that falsehood as fact, one would have to accept a vast and pervasive world conspiracy that puts U.S. deaths at number 1 in the world, hatched by every enemy and friend Trump and U.S. have; and, as much as I enjoy conspiracy theories, that’s up there with flimsiest imaginable.

The truth is, America has become the equivalent of a huge leper colony; and, it was Trump’s preoccupation with stock market numbers, and pandering Chinese conspiracies to his base, which led to his dithering over a pandemic response, and a virus spread that is unmatched in the world. Dropping everything onto ill-equipped and unprepared state governors, Trump stood by in March, April and May, watching death numbers spike throughout the northeast, withholding ventilators and PPE from desperate blue states, as if they were an enemy he was happy to see die; and, seeing the economy tanking, the direct result of his dithering, and his own poll numbers dropping, Trump urged a reckless “reopening”, which – thanks to obsequious red states - has precipitated an ever greater surge in infections; and, it’s only thanks to drugs like Remdesivir that Covid 19 deaths haven’t surged as well.

What is, however, the scariest thing about Trump’s lie concerning America’s Covid 19 dead is the fact that he will still be president when the 2nd wave of Covid 19 strikes this fall. Not only does he seem ready to stand by doing nothing and just watch it happen, his anti-testing policy position, along with his sudden appropriation of pandemic data reporting, makes it clear - he wants the American public kept in the dark about what’s killing them. And to make what is clear, crystal – that is precisely what his base wants as well. His base, so fearful that Trump’s poor poll numbers are a consequence of Covid 19 dead, that denial and ignorance have become the approved way to go, which Trump will happily oblige. Committing Coronavirus suicide, it seems, is a fair trade-off for having their petty fears and prejudices legitimized by a president, who sings their song of division and hatred. Nothing else matters.

Anyway - absent a vaccine, the Coronavirus will continue to spread in the U.S. and the number of dead will continue to tick upward, but it’s just too depressing to watch the numbers as closely as I’ve been doing. I’ll now have baseball and basketball to watch and bet on, and hopefully, football as well, and I feel better just thinking about it. For those who are concerned about Covid 19, the data is available at various sources; for morons, the data – like the truth - doesn’t matter anyway. Hope you all live through it, regardless.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

There's a chance florida exaggerates corona stats to deter new yorkers from moving there.

United states corona numbers could also be exaggerated in the hope illegal immigrants will travel to europe, china and russia instead.

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Quote Originally Posted by WillyBoy View Post
    As long as baseball opens Thursday, and nothing radical occurs on the pandemic front, this will be my last Covid 19 post.

In general, the world remains in a Coronavirus shitstorm, although Western Europe has, apparently, turned the corner. Having pretty much halted Covid 19 spread, “reopenings” there have been successful, with Germany leading the way. The U.S., with the worst numbers, by far, remains the pandemic outlier among the industrialized nations of the world – a position that is not improving. In the U.S., while the northeast is finally recovering, the American south has become an infectious sewer. Florida’s case rate growth is unrivalled, with states like Texas and Georgia not far behind.

FINAL THOUGHTS: While understanding that all politicians lie is basic American civics, Trump’s bizarre, recent claim that America’s Covid 19 deaths are among the fewest in the world, takes lying to a whole new plane. To even begin to accept that falsehood as fact, one would have to accept a vast and pervasive world conspiracy that puts U.S. deaths at number 1 in the world, hatched by every enemy and friend Trump and U.S. have; and, as much as I enjoy conspiracy theories, that’s up there with flimsiest imaginable.

The truth is, America has become the equivalent of a huge leper colony; and, it was Trump’s preoccupation with stock market numbers, and pandering Chinese conspiracies to his base, which led to his dithering over a pandemic response, and a virus spread that is unmatched in the world. Dropping everything onto ill-equipped and unprepared state governors, Trump stood by in March, April and May, watching death numbers spike throughout the northeast, withholding ventilators and PPE from desperate blue states, as if they were an enemy he was happy to see die; and, seeing the economy tanking, the direct result of his dithering, and his own poll numbers dropping, Trump urged a reckless “reopening”, which – thanks to obsequious red states - has precipitated an ever greater surge in infections; and, it’s only thanks to drugs like Remdesivir that Covid 19 deaths haven’t surged as well.

What is, however, the scariest thing about Trump’s lie concerning America’s Covid 19 dead is the fact that he will still be president when the 2nd wave of Covid 19 strikes this fall. Not only does he seem ready to stand by doing nothing and just watch it happen, his anti-testing policy position, along with his sudden appropriation of pandemic data reporting, makes it clear - he wants the American public kept in the dark about what’s killing them. And to make what is clear, crystal – that is precisely what his base wants as well. His base, so fearful that Trump’s poor poll numbers are a consequence of Covid 19 dead, that denial and ignorance have become the approved way to go, which Trump will happily oblige. Committing Coronavirus suicide, it seems, is a fair trade-off for having their petty fears and prejudices legitimized by a president, who sings their song of division and hatred. Nothing else matters.

Anyway - absent a vaccine, the Coronavirus will continue to spread in the U.S. and the number of dead will continue to tick upward, but it’s just too depressing to watch the numbers as closely as I’ve been doing. I’ll now have baseball and basketball to watch and bet on, and hopefully, football as well, and I feel better just thinking about it. For those who are concerned about Covid 19, the data is available at various sources; for morons, the data – like the truth - doesn’t matter anyway. Hope you all live through it, regardless.

Trump did an incredible job handling the Chinese virus. I love listening to crybabies like you. Thanks for the laugh. Trump 2020!!!!

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    There's a chance florida exaggerates corona stats to deter new yorkers from moving there.

United states corona numbers could also be exaggerated in the hope illegal immigrants will travel to europe, china and russia instead.

Taht's pretty funny..