JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3751

Quote Originally Posted by deadphish View Post
    their final 5 albums are far from soft..

• Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
    • Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
    • The Beatles (1968)
    • Abbey Road (1969)
    • Let it Be (1970)

poppy? a few songs on those albums are i suppose...but most their poppy stuff is pre 1966

is this soft? many music buffs say this song is responsible for the birth of heavy metal.
    Helter Skelter is definitely heavy. Motley Crue did a great metal cover of it on my favorite Crue album.

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Bruce Springsteen
    Pink Floyd
    Alkaline Trio
    Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave beavis13 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

their final 5 albums are far from soft..

• Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
    • Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
    • The Beatles (1968)
    • Abbey Road (1969)
    • Let it Be (1970)

poppy? a few songs on those albums are i suppose...but most their poppy stuff is pre 1966

is this soft? many music buffs say this song is responsible for the birth of heavy metal.
    I didn't say I didn't like them just the reason why they weren't in my top 3 of all time. They would make many top 3 lists, just not mine.

Is this song the one that supposedly inspired Charles Manson?

The Beatles were great and ahead of their time but that's my parents' generation of lovey dovey music. It's just weird man. When I think of The Beatles I think of lyrics like; love me do, i wanna hold your hand, and I love her, the long and winding road etc. It's just weird man. Like softer love songs. Just not my cup of tea but I recognize they're one of the goats and I respect that.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

The Killers first record is ridiculously good but I’ve only liked about 3 songs since then so they don’t make my list.

Making a Top 3 is really difficult. So you have to go with bands that don’t have mere mortals in them.

1) Led Zeppelin (Entire band is not of this world).
    2) The Smiths (Johnny Marr not of this world)
    3) Depeche Mode (1986 thru 1997 only) Martin Gore not of this world.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32467

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    The Killers first record is ridiculously good but I’ve only liked about 3 songs since then so they don’t make my list.

Making a Top 3 is really difficult. So you have to go with bands that don’t have mere mortals in them.

1) Led Zeppelin (Entire band is not of this world).
    2) The Smiths (Johnny Marr not of this world)
    3) Depeche Mode (1986 thru 1997 only) Martin Gore not of this world.

I like the way you think.

Zep is the greatest rock band in the history of rock.
    (of course you can debate that)
    I love Zep, not my favorite, Killers, then Queen are, but I still love Zep.

The Smith's with Morrissey, Mar, and Andy Rourke were one of Brandon Flowers (Killers) main influences, especially Morrissey.
    Loved them too.

I never got into Depeche Mode entirely but bits and pieces like "Personal Jesus" I really liked.
    Depeche Mode was way to dark for my tastes, The Smith's were dark too but not like Depeche Mode.
    Points Awarded:

stevek173 gave stevenash 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Rolling Stone magazine calls Hot Fuss one of the most influential debut albums in history.

One of the thousands of reasons I love the Killers is the way they change their music style with each and every album.
    As mentioned Hot Fuss was one of the greatest debut albums ever, even haters agree to this.

About three years later when they released their follow up Sam's Town fans were expecting Hot Fuss Part 2.

What they got was something totally different and since it wasn't what people expected it got instantly panned.
    Fast forward a few years the same people who initially thought Sams Town wasn't that great now thought it was as every bit as good as Hot Fuss. (and it was)

When you got a spare hour put on "Sams Town" and listen to it again.

deadphish
    deadphish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25699

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    I didn't say I didn't like them just the reason why they weren't in my top 3 of all time. They would make many top 3 lists, just not mine.

Is this song the one that supposedly inspired Charles Manson?

The Beatles were great and ahead of their time but that's my parents' generation of lovey dovey music. It's just weird man. When I think of The Beatles I think of lyrics like; love me do, i wanna hold your hand, and I love her, the long and winding road etc. It's just weird man. Like softer love songs. Just not my cup of tea but I recognize they're one of the goats and I respect that.
    i wasnt implying you didnt like them...seemed like they almost made your top 3. my parents are boomers & love them...but more so the stuff before the psychedelic phase of their (Beatles) career. Sgt Pepper's & Mystery Tour revolutionized music in so many ways. have you listened to their final 5 albums in their entirety? better yet, have you listened to their final 5 albums in their entirety with some HQ headphones?

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30054

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Rolling Stone magazine calls Hot Fuss one of the most influential debut albums in history.

One of the thousands of reasons I love the Killers is the way they change their music style with each and every album.
    As mentioned Hot Fuss was one of the greatest debut albums ever, even haters agree to this.
    Oh if you ever feel like getting a little annoyed, check out Pitchfork's initial review of Hot Fuss: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4579-hot-fuss/. They gave it a 5.2 out of 10. And the whole review is the guy acting like a salty cuck because he thought they were trying too hard to be cool, copying other styles, they didn't "deserve" the praise they were getting, etc. Just a super bitchy, holier-than-thou indie lord

I barely care about most of that shit anyway. IMO it just had a lot of great hooks, melodies, and plenty of intrigue in the lyrics

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Oh if you ever feel like getting a little annoyed, check out Pitchfork's initial review of Hot Fuss: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4579-hot-fuss/. They gave it a 5.2 out of 10. And the whole review is the guy acting like a salty cuck because he thought they were trying too hard to be cool, copying other styles, they didn't "deserve" the praise they were getting, etc. Just a super bitchy, holier-than-thou indie lord

I barely care about most of that shit anyway. IMO it just had a lot of great hooks, melodies, and plenty of intrigue in the lyrics

And equally annoying are the ones who praised Hot Fuss to the heavens only to call the follow up album (Sams Town) garbage because it was Hot Fuss part 2 but a total departure.

These so called experts were expecting more of the same and were disappointed.
    Now flash forward a few years later the ones who initially called Sams Town garbage now think it's their tour de force.

That's the genius of Brandon Flowers and the Killers, constantly changing at every turn.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

i wasnt implying you didnt like them...seemed like they almost made your top 3. my parents are boomers & love them...but more so the stuff before the psychedelic phase of their (Beatles) career. Sgt Pepper's & Mystery Tour revolutionized music in so many ways. have you listened to their final 5 albums in their entirety? better yet, have you listened to their final 5 albums in their entirety with some HQ headphones?
    No, I should do that. If we're being completely honest, The Beatles deserve to be in the top 3 but if I'm rocking out honestly I'd rather listen to some Zeppelin, Stones, Metallic, Doors, Floyd, AIC, Tool, Rush, shit like that over the fab four. Just my opinion.

deadphish

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    No, I should do that. If we're being completely honest, The Beatles deserve to be in the top 3 but if I'm rocking out honestly I'd rather listen to some Zeppelin, Stones, Metallic, Doors, Floyd, AIC, Tool, Rush, shit like that over the fab four. Just my opinion.
    right on..i'm huge fans of most you mentioned.
    "Top 3" is rather broad...i meant it more of "favorite" as opposed to "greatest."
    Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever IMO (& my faves). imagine how much his talent, creativity, etc. would have blossomed if he had not passed on at such a young age. it was tough to leave Jimi off my list, but i suppose i would compare it to how Bo Jackson is not in the HOF.

stevenash

Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever IMO (& my faves). imagine how much his talent, creativity, etc. would have blossomed if he had not passed on at such a young age. it was tough to leave Jimi off my list.
    Yeah, Jimi most likely was the greatest guitar player of all time.
    Now having said that you can mention BB King in the same sentence as Jimi though.

Getting back to Jimi, who did Jimi call "the best guitarist in the universe"?
    (answer at the bottom of this post)

Some may tell you Clapton was the greatest, I'm not going to deny that he was a top twenty of all time, but 'great' is a subjective word and (this is my opinon and mine alone) I thought Clapton is overrated.
    I'll take Mark Knopfler and Carlos Santana before Clapton but that's just me.

OK, Jimi said this about him.

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/w...-the-universe/

JohnGalt2341

Yeah, Jimi most likely was the greatest guitar player of all time.
    Now having said that you can mention BB King in the same sentence as Jimi though.

Getting back to Jimi, who did Jimi call "the best guitarist in the universe"?
    (answer at the bottom of this post)

Some may tell you Clapton was the greatest, I'm not going to deny that he was a top twenty of all time, but 'great' is a subjective word and (this is my opinon and mine alone) I thought Clapton is overrated.
    I'll take Mark Knopfler and Carlos Santana before Clapton but that's just me.

OK, Jimi said this about him.

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/w...-the-universe/
    Jimi once stated on the Dick Cavett show that Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top was his favorite guitarist. As for me... as much as I used to love metal... and still sort of do... my favorite ever is Ewan Dobson. He plays mostly solo acoustic electric as seen below. He's got mad skills! He's not for everyone... but I love it.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13391

Quote Originally Posted by beavis13 View Post
    Bruce Springsteen
    Pink Floyd
    Alkaline Trio
    One of the lamest parts of this whole virus bullshit is that I had tix to see Alkaline Trio opening for Bad Religion at the Palladium. Postponed.

Re: Social D - one of the first punk records I ever owned was Mommy's Little Monster. Still fukkin rocks today. Those guys just know how to make good music.

Top 3 is hard. It will probably change tomorrow...my kids always ask me who my favorite band is. I used to have an answer when I was younger.

Tool
    Dead Kennedys
    Bob Marley

I could insert Smashing Pumpkins, Johnny Cash, Zeppelin, The Cure, The Smiths, Floyd, the list goes on and on

deadphish

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    Jimi once stated on the Dick Cavett show that Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top was his favorite guitarist. As for me... as much as I used to love metal... and still sort of do... my favorite ever is Ewan Dobson. He plays mostly solo acoustic electric as seen below. He's got mad skills! He's not for everyone... but I love it.
    i've heard of him...that was the 1st time actually heard him (i think). based on his style in that 1 song, i bet i know which guitarist he is most influenced by. who do you think?

JohnGalt2341

i've heard of him...that was the 1st time actually heard him (i think). based on his style in that 1 song, i bet i know which guitarist he is most influenced by. who do you think?
    Leo Kottke. Who do you think?

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

On a side note, music has to be one of the most subjective experiences humans engage in

One man's treasures are another man's garbage

blankoblanco

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    On a side note, music has to be one of the most subjective experiences humans engage in

One man's treasures are another man's garbage
    At the risk of going on a bit of a tangent... music taste is of course incredibly subjective, no arguing that. But, in my opinion, it seems to be somehow less subjective than most physical art is. I'll make my case:

There is a lot of music I don't like at all and yet can still see/hear the artistic merit in most of it, even if it's just the fact that the melody is catchy. It just might not appeal to my sensibilities

Then you have certain abstract and modern art. Paint splashed on a canvas seemingly hap-hazardly. A banana taped to a wall. A mustache painted on the Mona Lisa. There are people who will swear this stuff is brilliant and others who believe it's full on wankery with no redeeming value, not a ton of in-between

If I think a piece of art sucks, it basically means I can't even respect the intent behind it. The same isn't true of music. Just my take

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

At the risk of going on a bit of a tangent... music taste is of course incredibly subjective, no arguing that. But, in my opinion, it seems to be somehow less subjective than most physical art is. I'll make my case:

There is a lot of music I don't like at all and yet can still see/hear the artistic merit in most of it, even if it's just the fact that the melody is catchy. It just might not appeal to my sensibilities

Then you have certain abstract and modern art. Paint splashed on a canvas seemingly hap-hazardly. A banana taped to a wall. A mustache painted on the Mona Lisa. There are people who will swear this stuff is brilliant and others who believe it's full on wankery with no redeeming value, not a ton of in-between

If I think a piece of art sucks, it basically means I can't even respect the intent behind it. The same isn't true of music. Just my take
    Probably true, but I think music is something that just about every person has experiences with while visual art is only consumed by a small minority

Personally, there are some forms of music that I know are talented but I just don't like, but the most popular music I see no talent whatsoever

Of course that is just my opinion

blankoblanco

Yeah, there's no doubt music is just a way larger part of most people's lives. And I think I can probably understand someone a little better from their music taste than from their taste in paintings or whatever

I was just thinking out loud really, maybe even playing devil's advocate to an extent. If I had to draw a line in the sand, I honestly think music is more important and more meaningful than most other forms of art. And shared, subjective music taste is one of the best ways to connect with others

But yeah, this is a derailment so I should say something specific about a band: The Beatles are overrated!

deadphish

Leo Kottke. Who do you think?
    solid guess..you may be right. but my 1st thought was...

deadphish

using a pick...

deadphish

seemed appropriate...

deadphish

one more...

deadphish

But yeah, this is a derailment so I should say something specific about a band: The Beatles are overrated!
    i've heard that said by many...no offense, i just think it's an ignorant opinion. most of those people are likely basing that opinion on their early stuff and simply have not heard much of the nuggets they created while experimenting w/psychedelic drugs.

perhaps you've heard side B of Abbey Road, but take a listen anyways. this is not the way it appears on the album. supposedly it is the way they intended it to be. IMO, the original side B is the way it should be...

side note: oddly enough, the top comment on youtube page says...
    "I've listened to this a thousand times and still cannot comprehend how anyone can think The Beatles were overrated."

JohnGalt2341

Solid stuff. This is another guy I like. You can really hear the Michael Hedges influences in his work as well.

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    One of the lamest parts of this whole virus bullshit is that I had tix to see Alkaline Trio opening for Bad Religion at the Palladium. Postponed.

Re: Social D - one of the first punk records I ever owned was Mommy's Little Monster. Still fukkin rocks today. Those guys just know how to make good music.

Top 3 is hard. It will probably change tomorrow...my kids always ask me who my favorite band is. I used to have an answer when I was younger.

Tool
    Dead Kennedys
    Bob Marley

I could insert Smashing Pumpkins, Johnny Cash, Zeppelin, The Cure, The Smiths, Floyd, the list goes on and on
    I hear you. Had tickets to the Riverside show and the Denver show. Cheap flights and hotels all booked. penetrate this virus.

deadphish

Solid stuff. This is another guy I like. You can really hear the Michael Hedges influences in his work as well.
    impressive...TY for sharing.
    as a drummer, i have a thing for percussive guitarists.

stevenash

This is an epic live performance for the ages.
    If you're not blown away from the 3:00 mark to the end, then you're pretty much dead.

deadphish

This is an epic live performance for the ages.
    If you're not blown away from the 3:00 mark to the end, then you're pretty much dead.

never heard any of their stuff until this...doesnt really do it for me. got a top 3 i should hear that may sway me?
    does the lead singer play any instrument(s)? not too many bands i dig w/a "lead singer." my top 3 off top of my head...

Led Zep
    The Doors
    Black Sabbath

***i know all 3 (Plant, Morrison, Ozzy) played harmonica...i'm excluding harmonica as an instrument for this top 3. if it was based solely on harmonica, Blues Traveler would have made the cut.

deadphish

possibly my fave "harmonica song" ...

stevenash

never heard any of their stuff until this...doesnt really do it for me. got a top 3 i should hear that may sway me?
    does the lead singer play any instrument(s)? not too many bands i dig w/a "lead singer." my top 3 off top of my head...

Led Zep
    The Doors
    Black Sabbath

***i know all 3 (Plant, Morrison, Ozzy) played harmonica...i'm excluding harmonica as an instrument for this top 3. if it was based solely on harmonica, Blues Traveler would have made the cut.
    The frontman, the lead if you will is Brandon Flowers.
    He's an expert keyboardist too, specializes in synths.
    This might blow you away, this is their real rocker.
    They headlined Lollapalooza twice.

Did you say Doors?
    Another in my top ten.
    My favorite Doors cut here, Manzarek on top of his game on keyboards.

stevenash

JohnGalt2341

Quick story about the Killers... I'm not a pothead but I do get high on occasion. On some of these occasions when I've gotten somewhat uncomfortably high I would listen to music with headphones on. I remember a few times specifically when I seemed to develop a sort of superpower where I could hear each instrument individually very cleanly. It was as if each instrument was completely separate from the others... it's difficult to explain. I could even hear precisely where they were in relation to each other... and I wasn't even watching video.

Anyway... the first time this happened to me I was going through all these different songs on my MP3 player. Some bands sounded almost the same to me but with others they sounded SOOO much more rich. The Lemonheads for example... are one of my favorite bands ever but they sounded almost the same. But the Killers really sounded amazing... SOO RICH. So much going on and in this state I could hear everything individually. There were some other bands and songs that had the same effect on me as well... but I definitely remember The Killers being one of them. I haven't been able to duplicate this experience quite like I did several years ago. Maybe it was just really good weed... it doesn't work as well if you smoke every day though. And for me... I had to be sort of uncomfortably high for it to really work well.

Anyone else have a similar experience while high?

deadphish

The Killers still not doin it for me. does singer ever play keys at their live shows?
    The Doors rock! Ray is a stud...i love how he play bass lines w/left hand. i use to play drums in an instrumental duo w/a keyboardist who did the same.

First 123 Last