Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

If you intentionally get coronavirus can you be immune to it

If you intentionally get coronavirus can you be immune to it?

topgame85
    topgame85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3082

Unknown at this time. There have been rumors of reinfection already. Also, as it mutates, could catch an alternate strain.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9221

As silly as this question is phrased, it's not really a silly question imho.

If the Californian health system is destined to be overloaded as their Governor says, then getting it before that happens so there will be an intensive care bed and ventilator available for you might end up being a good option.

But if they come up with a treatment that stops most people getting bad enough to need intensive care in 2 months time, then you have risked your life for no benefit.

coin tosses... how do we bet?

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11522

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Reinfection is rare and when looking deeper, each case that has claimed to have been a reinfection, was in fact not.

They are talking about testing people for the antibodies to identify who has already gotten it and is immune, and sending them back to work.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    Reinfection is rare and when looking deeper, each case that has claimed to have been a reinfection, was in fact not.

They are talking about testing people for the antibodies to identify who has already gotten it and is immune, and sending them back to work.
    I wonder if they can do what essentially the flu shot where they inactivate it and your body has an immune response to it?

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10373

Funny you brought this up, I just read this story today....

https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.03.13.990226

basically, Rhesus monkeys were infected, confirmed to be infected and re-infected with SARS-cov2. They subsequently showed an immune response and showed no signs of re-infection after developing antibodies. It’s a good sign.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11901

I'll give it a go to build up future immunity. Inject me with the virus, Bring it!!

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24944

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    No, but if you UNintentionally get coronavirus you can be immune to it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Most people
    That get it mild symptoms

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Most people
    Most yes, but then you have cases like this. https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/52010616

Jibby eats garlic though so I'm sure he's in better shape than an Olympic medalist.
    Points Awarded:

grease lightnin gave juicername 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DiggityDaggityDo

snapperman2
    Keep bothering on
    snapperman2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16306

If everybody tries to get the coronavirus early, then all the mitigation efforts will be defeated and a public health disaster is certain.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i think you can based on what they say

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6898

sister was talking today, reminded all of us about our family christmas we had when she was feeling really under the weather and had been for a couple weeks

at the time... everyone reacted like normal "oh, you're fighting cold/flu symptoms... yeah sorry that sucks... try this or that (it works for me!!!)"

she never told us that it was an illness that was affecting her in ways she never had before. her cough was terrible and dry... she had shortness of breath, etc... and she just powered thru it at the time like most people would a normal cold to bad cold

she went to work, she takes care of elderly patients at their residence.

it was late December... nobody knew anything about Corona

we had our xmas dinner at her new house she had just purchased and she prepared most of the food/deserts/snacks

this is getting to be a long post so ill get to my point... NOBODY got sick after being around/near her

not me, or our other siblings, my mom, grandma... nieces, nephew, the patient she was caring for at the time!!! NOBODY ended up with what she had

so how CONTAGIOUS is this COVID-19 BS FOR REAL... because after remembering how sick she was that day and how close i was around her for hours, family hug, etc... NOBODY got it

I wasn't worried before, and now I'm just gonna enjoy all hysteria from it... even tho I am focusing on hygiene and sanitizing, washing hands all the time to KEEP some people happy (bosses)

COVID-19 is OVER-RATED

icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Most people
    Tonaaaaaaaaaay!!!

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    sister was talking today, reminded all of us about our family christmas we had when she was feeling really under the weather and had been for a couple weeks

at the time... everyone reacted like normal "oh, you're fighting cold/flu symptoms... yeah sorry that sucks... try this or that (it works for me!!!)"

she never told us that it was an illness that was affecting her in ways she never had before. her cough was terrible and dry... she had shortness of breath, etc... and she just powered thru it at the time like most people would a normal cold to bad cold

we had our xmas dinner at her new house she had just purchased and she prepared most of the food/deserts/snacks

this is getting to be a long post so ill get to my point... NOBODY got sick after being around/near her

not me, or our other siblings, my mom, grandma... nieces, nephew, the patient she was caring for at the time!!! NOBODY ended up with what she had

so how CONTAGIOUS is this COVID-19 BS FOR REAL... because after remembering how sick she was that day and how close i was around her for hours, family hug, etc... NOBODY got it

I wasn't worried before, and now I'm just gonna enjoy all hysteria from it... even tho I am focusing on hygiene and sanitizing, washing hands all the time to KEEP some people happy (bosses)

COVID-19 is OVER-RATED

So you’re just assuming she had it?

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    So you’re just assuming she had it?
    you didn't read the post guy

ace7550
    ace7550's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7772

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Yep. Problem solved.

snapperman2
    Keep bothering on
    snapperman2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16306

COVID-19 is OVER-RATED

I don't know where you're posting from, but if you aren't in China I don't think your sister had covid-19. I don't think that covid-19 had spread outside of China in December.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

you didn't read the post guy
    I read it a couple times actually because I thought maybe I missed a sentence. How does your sister being sick have anything to do with Covid19? Unless you’re assuming she had it.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

not a bad idea here

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    I read it a couple times actually because I thought maybe I missed a sentence. How does your sister being sick have anything to do with Covid19? Unless you’re assuming she had it.

Yea I read it a couple times too and I have no idea what he’s talking about. Usually he is pretty sharp but not picking up what he is putting down on this one. And that means a lot because I am pretty much the gold standard when it comes to reading comprehension.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

december might be early in the timeline if what we hear is true

then again, who knows

i def feel this was here by january

cuomo says many of us have had it already and not even aware, whether it be severity or symptoms

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Get it later when ventilator, hospital bed and drug treatment supply are in better shape.

If you get it now there'll be shortages.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    Yea I read it a couple times too and I have no idea what he’s talking about. Usually he is pretty sharp but not picking up what he is putting down on this one. And that means a lot because I am pretty much the gold standard when it comes to reading comprehension.
    Yeah, I guess what I didn't post in words is that she was bringing it up because she now believes that what she had for weeks in late December was in fact the Coronavirus

my bad

grease lightnin
    &

Yeah, I guess what I didn't post in words is that she was bringing it up because she now believes that what she had for weeks in late December was in fact the Coronavirus

my bad

All good. That’s what I got from it, if anything. Lol.

Assume she and everyone else are ok? That’s good.

I am pretty sure it ran through my workplace. Nobody in the hospital, but sick. Doc on vid conference said they don’t have it. Ok. Lol

Take care