DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    Guy was so close

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Oct. 1 (UPI) -- Two people were killed and 20 were injured Tuesday after a landmark bridge collapsed on top of three boats in Taiwan, authorities said.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...9391569942130/

Slurry Pumper
    Slurry Pumper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8796

As an engineer, this thing looks like a classic mis-calculation of forces or incorrect material choices. I suspect, that the
    conection bolts in the wye joints on either end where not up to the strength calculated amount. The construction team probably
    substituted regular cheap bolts instead of using A490 structural bolts for instance. With the design not having a connection
    redundacy means that you really need to make sure that the wye connection is made correctly. If you look at the aftermath you can
    see the separation of the wye joint at the base of the bridge. If they utilized the correct bolts, this connection would not
    separate, but rather distort the joint before separation. Of course I am making this commentary using nothing but the video, but
    that is my 2 cents.

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19468

^
    Good feedback

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

With this and the one at the college in Florida recently (UCF I think?), I'm starting to think twice everytime I cross a bridge or freeway on ramp.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    With this and the one at the college in Florida recently (UCF I think?), I'm starting to think twice everytime I cross a bridge or freeway on ramp.
    Might be safer to cross it than go under it.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by darrell74 View Post
    Big truck that didn't make it
    I noticed that... dude has to be dead.

Some Final Destination sh#$... that's for sure.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

fiu

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Might be safer to cross it than go under it.
    ya no kidding...since the FIU tragedy, I'm now far more aware when I'm at a red light and underneath a bridge or freeway
    Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    fiu

yep that was supposed to be some new and improved architecture...tragic

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

ya no kidding...since the FIU tragedy, I'm now far more aware when I'm at a red light and underneath a bridge or freeway

It cracked like hell.' Engineer ignored warning signs hours before deadly FIU footbridge collapse, report says

Hours before a pedestrian bridge collapsed at Florida International University last year, engineers said cracks in the structure didn't pose a safety concern, according to an Occupational Safety and Health Administration report.

The March 2018 collapse -- which killed six people -- could have been prevented, OSHA said in the 115-page report released this month.
    Growing cracks in the structure warranted an immediate closure of SW 8th Street, the street onto which the bridge collapsed, the report said. But the bridge's designers, FIGG Bridge Engineers, after inspecting it that day, said the cracks did not pose any safety concerns, according to the report.

JAKEPEAVY21

It cracked like hell.' Engineer ignored warning signs hours before deadly FIU footbridge collapse, report says

Hours before a pedestrian bridge collapsed at Florida International University last year, engineers said cracks in the structure didn't pose a safety concern, according to an Occupational Safety and Health Administration report.

The March 2018 collapse -- which killed six people -- could have been prevented, OSHA said in the 115-page report released this month.
    Growing cracks in the structure warranted an immediate closure of SW 8th Street, the street onto which the bridge collapsed, the report said. But the bridge's designers, FIGG Bridge Engineers, after inspecting it that day, said the cracks did not pose any safety concerns, according to the report.
    wow I hope they all get the book thrown at them

better safe than sorry when many lives are at stake

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Didn't some woman design it?

Slurry Pumper

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Didn't some woman design it?
    I doubt it I've been in the engineering business for about 30 years now and can count on an
    amputated hand how many women I have encountered in this business. I think the problem is
    the CADD software allows for more wild designs that theorectically hold up, but the practical
    building of such a structure requires some very specific techniques that construction companies
    are not familiar with keeping track of the smallest details in the design. As a rule, let a
    structure stand for a year or so before you decide to go under or on it if you can, especially
    if the design looks wild. If the structure is a typical design that you have seen before, it
    probably O.K. but the crazy shit that looks space age needs to have some service time before
    I will trust it.

Salam
    Salam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10044

the Chinese aren't that good at building

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8491

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

fiu

Amazing to see so many people get out of their cars and walk closer to something that collapsed? Sorry... instinctively.... I'm not getting out of my car... and I'm putting the sh#$ in reverse.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Only 2 dead? Wow

Esco
    Esco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2725

Lousy gravity

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Amazing to see so many people get out of their cars and walk closer to something that collapsed? Sorry... instinctively.... I'm not getting out of my car... and I'm putting the sh#$ in reverse.
    That’s exactly what I was going to write. Crazy. They all got out of they cars and were basically sprinting toward a freaking bridge that just collapsed and was obviously very unstable. Shit could have fallen back on them pretty easily it looked like.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

Quote Originally Posted by Slurry Pumper View Post
    As an engineer, this thing looks like a classic mis-calculation of forces or incorrect material choices. I suspect, that the
    conection bolts in the wye joints on either end where not up to the strength calculated amount. The construction team probably
    substituted regular cheap bolts instead of using A490 structural bolts for instance. With the design not having a connection
    redundacy means that you really need to make sure that the wye connection is made correctly. If you look at the aftermath you can
    see the separation of the wye joint at the base of the bridge. If they utilized the correct bolts, this connection would not
    separate, but rather distort the joint before separation. Of course I am making this commentary using nothing but the video, but
    that is my 2 cents.
    OOOO another crazy structural engineer is on the board eh? lol
    They used A490 but they were from China as they were $10 bucks cheaper per box but the equivalent of using duct tape
    - even with under designing, this should never happen unless it was a complete gross mis calculation or error in construction, there's too much redundancy in designs to ever have this occur besides a gross penetrate up

Esco
    Esco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2725

Quote Originally Posted by Salam View Post
    the Chinese aren't that good at building
    Taiwan =/= China

Slurry Pumper

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMAN View Post
    OOOO another crazy structural engineer is on the board eh? lol
    They used A490 but they were from China as they were $10 bucks cheaper per box but the equivalent of using duct tape
    - even with under designing, this should never happen unless it was a complete gross mis calculation or error in construction, there's too much redundancy in designs to ever have this occur besides a gross penetrate up

Actually I engineer slurry pumps and pressure vessels for oil refinerys and chemical plants. I agree with the
    redundancy claim usually but in this case it doesn't look like there is anything holding the bridge together
    other than the connection on either end of the bridge. I'm sure there are twice as many bolts as needed in the
    connection, but still just the 1 connection to do the job.
    We just got a report from the "accident" in Florida FIU campus that states the bridge wasn't designed by a firm
    that had the qualifications to do so. I assume that the top engineer there isn't a licensed P.E. and that is
    what they are getting at. If this is the case some dudes should go to jail for a while for endangering the public.
    My doctor always acts like he is god with all the knowledge of the body and the ability to make decisions over
    life and death, and I tell him to take a back seat because he can only kill people one at a time, while if I fuct
    something up, I can kill hundreds at a time easily.