TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Car Constantly Getting Vandalized At Work How Can You Avoid It?

A friend of mine who's female works at this strip mall that's highly populated. You can't find a parking spot no matter what time of the day. There's like 12 stores... and probably 60 parking spots for all employees and customers. Just not enough parking spots during business hours.

First incident was a minor scratch about 5 months ago. Located driver side door... not that deep... could easily be buffed out... about 3 inches long. Could of been a possible key attempt? But they didn't press hard.

Second incident happened about a month later. Passenger side door. Deeper mark. About 4 inches. Not so sure you could buff it out completely.

Third incident... (about a month later) severe bumper damage rear/left side of vehicle. Definitely someone backed up into the vehicle. No other explanation for it.

After all of these incidents... she finally saved money and fixed all of these issues. She didn't want to claim it on her insurance because she was afraid the rates would go up. A guy who I know very well fixed everything for her at a great price.

Not even having the vehicle back a week from the body shop... a 4th incident occurred. Seems like someone intentionally tried to gouge the door with a sharp object. Can't miss it... passenger side and seems like it went through all paint layers of the door. 2 Marks side by side... looks like a straight edge screwdriver.

A few of the businesses have cameras but have refused to help out in this situation.... and won't allow her to view the footage. She did call the police to come out on the 4th incident. The police said they wouldn't come out because it was a non-threatening situation. They told her to take photos and call her insurance company. (Again... very odd.)

So, what would you do in this situation? You have a beautiful car that you're leasing.... it's getting gouged up for no reason (while you're at work)... you've tried parking in different spots to help avoid the situation. What would be your next move??? Just an absolute odd situation. I wouldn't even know what steps you could take in preventing this? Any ideas?

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

uber

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Lyft

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Taxi

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

seriously though...I used to own two vehicles...one a beater for situations like yours and one a nice one for other occasions

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

move out of Detroit

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Park right outside the store who refused to help with video.

Set up own video.

And catch the store owner doing it as they are pissed off she is taking up customer parking spots.

Strip mall should set a parking time limit so she sin't parking there to start with.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

park a block or 2 away in a safer less congested area, if that exists? then walk to work from there.

or hire Paco

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    park a block or 2 away in a safer less congested area, if that exists? then walk to work from there.

or hire Paco
    This

Esco
    Esco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2725

Get a dashcam

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

I agree with the set up your own camera idea. They have pretty cheap ones now that you can put it on timelapse where it takes a photo every second and lasts for several hours before battery runs out.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

She is parking on private property so there is not a lot that she can do. Obviously some one, or group has it in for her. Even if she gets evidence on a camera, that is a slap on the wrist max. She can cause more hard to herself than good. She is going to have to figure out a place where she can park safely or sue her employer for not providing a safe working environment.

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    She is parking on private property so there is not a lot that she can do. Obviously some one, or group has it in for her. Even if she gets evidence on a camera, that is a slap on the wrist max. She can cause more hard to herself than good. She is going to have to figure out a place where she can park safely or sue her employer for not providing a safe working environment.
    Not even sure anyone necessarily has it in for her

It's a very crowded parking lot and a lot of people simply don't care and will open doors into your car, hit n run, or key you if they had a hard time squeezing in to the space next to you.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Interesting posts about a dashcam... but could you view all angles of the car? Also, would it run while the vehicle is off? Some vehicle manufacturers have automatic shutoff features to all outlets in the car when the ignition is off. I wouldn't know how to give her advice to override that?

Entire situation is a pain the a$$ for her. Naturally, just for peace of mind... she would like to catch whoever is doing this.... if it is one person??? Or are people randomly hitting vehicles in the parking lot? It's located in the downtown of a city.... like a main street if you will? So, I can't believe someone is attempting to target vehicles in broad daylight??? But... it is a different kind of world now... isn't it?

Esco
    Esco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2725

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Interesting posts about a dashcam... but could you view all angles of the car? Also, would it run while the vehicle is off? Some vehicle manufacturers have automatic shutoff features to all outlets in the car when the ignition is off. I wouldn't know how to give her advice to override that?
    My dashcam has a motion detector, but only a forward angle.

Shop around on Amazon and find a good one that has multiple angles and a motion detector.

Something like these: https://windowsreport.com/360-degree-dash-cameras/

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by Esco View Post
    My dashcam has a motion detector, but only a forward angle.

Shop around on Amazon and find a good one that has multiple angles and a motion detector.

Something like these: https://windowsreport.com/360-degree-dash-cameras/
    Or a 360 camera and have it plugged in to a battery bank

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

thread upgrade.....

stand by:

thread upgrade complete.....

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!