eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

How do you get on the board of directors for a nonprofit?

I signed up to begin volunteering regularly at an animal shelter. First shift is tomorrow. Growing up I loved animals and wanted to be a vet before the desire for money and greed consumed me in my teens.

Very excited for the opportunity as it will help cheer me up with my disheartening career search thus far. I was thinking about something a co-worker had mentioned; they were on a board for a local nonprofit.

I assume volunteering is how you gain the experience and eventually move "up the ranks" within a nonprofit like in a business?

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

So now you're volunteering to clean up piss and shit? Nice!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

no you don't move up the ranks

I mean you could, but I rarely see it happen that way. Although for non profits working directly with people, there is usually a token poor person or person from the population that is trying to be helped......

I'm assuming you aren't a dog though

a good Board can raise a shit ton of money. So they usually have a lot of money themselves, run in circles with a lot of money, and have experience "selling" and communicating to a broad network

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

+1 of Chi_archie's comments.

Small animal shelters and charities may involve being involved with the charity a lot and politicking since they may be more close knit.

However, the bigger the charity, the more you're gonna have to start networking and donating to that charity (and I don't mean $100 checks) rather than just being a simple volunteer. The main job of those board's is to find donors to keep the charity running and poor/middle class people don't usually have a lot of rich friends.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

You want to get on the board Eagles, start your own.

eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Great advice guys.

I know that for large nonprofits there would be no chance. Just wondered if small nonprofits I could have potential. With my finance background I will see if they need any help as well in the business area of the shelter.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave eaglesfan371 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

dustyy
    dustyy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6907

Man you have to earn it. Most want well connected individuals who can help in fund raising and in other fiscal areas like capital campaigns. It's a non paid position so until you can help raise funds, you are just another helper along with the retirees and homemakers.

It is a good way to connect in your community but unless you know someone on the nominating committee, your chances aren't that great.

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

Shuuuuuuuuut up

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

know somebody

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I hate to say this but if you were a woman it’s easy

you suck the bosses kock

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

good comments.......

I think the idea of a lot of time and a significant but reasonable amount of money is good.

also, not sure if there are cheap ones, but you might look into a director's course..... I would think tons of these org's are risk-averse these days. want to have some qualified people doing it too.