The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Anyone here fly regularly

If so, what is your routine, what do you bring always bring on the plane with you etc...

Personally, if I fly alone, I always fly first class. Hate mixing it up in coach. If Im flying with the fam, I’ll suffer coach

If the flight is 3+hours, first class no matter what

Food is where I struggle. Not a big fan of airline food and generally avoid it, almost always end up with trailmix but Im over that, anyone have any good ideas

Im a window seat guy 100%

Rarely check a bag and many tumes I travel with just a backpack

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

eat before you leave the ground and after you land

problem solved

i cannot believe a nurse didnt think of that idea
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackbo

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Whenever I fly coach, I always get the fat guy next to me - never fail. When I spring for 1st class, always get some little old lady, skinny as a rail. Airlines need to institute a two-seat rule if you can't fit in the confines of your seat.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

on last flight, plane was half empty, had whole row to myself. Nice.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

I try to avoid coachb these days Veggie, sitting 1st class today and have the single seat. First time flying into San luis obispo, tiny airport, runway must be no more than 50 feet

SnakesPicks
    Dazed and confused.
    SnakesPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    If so, what is your routine, what do you bring always bring on the plane with you etc...

Personally, if I fly alone, I always fly first class. Hate mixing it up in coach. If Im flying with the fam, I’ll suffer coach

If the flight is 3+hours, first class no matter what

Food is where I struggle. Not a big fan of airline food and generally avoid it, almost always end up with trailmix but Im over that, anyone have any good ideas

Im a window seat guy 100%

Rarely check a bag and many tumes I travel with just a backpack
    You can bring your own food on a plane again nowadays. Just put it in a clear baggie, no liquids, and don't get too funky with it. Can always call the airline to double check on what you are planning on bringing. I love flying in and out of those tiny airports, no traffic and less hassles in general.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Denver airport was beautiful (last time I was there). Atlanta hub a shithole. Did take a piss next to Robert Horry though.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    I try to avoid coachb these days Veggie, sitting 1st class today and have the single seat. First time flying into San luis obispo, tiny airport, runway must be no more than 50 feet
    Nice. I think the smallest airport I've been to was Burbank or Sacto. Planes were small and didn't have a 1st class.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

booroy will reply when he lands
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Booya711

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    booroy will reply when he lands
    Flying to Boston at 7pm actually

SnakesPicks
    Dazed and confused.
    SnakesPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fresno is a cool tiny airport also. Just don't show up late for your flight, the counter attendants also do luggage shit. There won't be anyone at the counter.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I'll admit... I use to be able to put up with 2:45-3:00 hr flights when I was younger. Didn't mind being crammed etc.

Is it just me.... or is it old age??? But man... you feel like a sardine now on a flight? I can barely put up with it now.

Is first class... really first class?

For example... buying the BIG SEAT on Spirit Airlines... is that first class? lol

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Most of my flights are 1.5 hours or less unless I am going to Hawaii. I hate paying for 1st class when you are flying in a shitty plane, so I usually don't. Used to upgraded a lot more, but not these days.

reigle9

you gotta be nuts to be on a plane for more than an hour and not fly 1st/biz, the free booze itself makes up for the costs

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

Point A to point B. Just get me there, idc how. .

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

I try to bring one carry on bag so I don't have to check baggage and go to the carousel after landing

Unless I'm golfing then I have to check those

Burbank my favorite airport

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

you gotta be nuts to be on a plane for more than an hour and not fly 1st/biz, the free booze itself makes up for the costs
    lol

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

At airport now...first flight ever

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

There are people and planes at airports.

RangeFinder
    RangeFinder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2697

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    At airport now...first flight ever
    Lol

Got your goggles and scarf?

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Try trying to Tokyo , 14 hour flight , I was in 1st class luckily .
    I open the blind in between 1st and coach , it was like a can of sardines . They were jammed in there , looked like 3 groups of huggers . Left , middle and right .
    I would lose my shit crammed in with other folks like I seen then for that period of time .

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20364

Coach for me.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

first class always somewhere after my early thirties. especially since its usually someone else paying for it.

always have some binge watching options downloaded from netflix or whatever on an ipad. in case you don't like inflight options.

chewing gum, tissue, hand lotion, chapstick, ear plugs, sleeping blindfold thingy.

made two exceptions in past 24 months to first class.. 70 min flight to Pittsburgh and it was fine. shortly after we flew to South Africa and a few other places, and made the mistake to save $ there so we could indulge more on trip and stay an extra day on Safari

biggest mistake of my life.

pure torure

never again will I make that mistake

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

I flew to Australia in coach with my wife and kids. Kids were 3 and 5 I think.

mrpapageorgio
    mrpapageorgio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3869

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    Lol

Got your goggles and scarf?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post

lol
    Got bumped from coach to first class because the male flight attendant was gay. (No I didn't know he was hitting on me.) Had no idea the alcohol was FREE either. Point being... kinda got hammered and the altitude was playing tricks on my stomach. Lesson learned... 1 or 2 drinks OK. Not 5-6 lol

Was I suppose to tip the flight attendant for bumping me up??? I didn't.

reigle9

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Got bumped from coach to first class because the male flight attendant was gay. (No I didn't know he was hitting on me.) Had no idea the alcohol was FREE either. Point being... kinda got hammered and the altitude was playing tricks on my stomach. Lesson learned... 1 or 2 drinks OK. Not 5-6 lol

Was I suppose to tip the flight attendant for bumping me up??? I didn't.
    lol dude, the first time i ever flew i asked if you're supposed to tip

few people were just like idk, some old guy looked at me and shook his head no

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

only flew first class when I had a family member who worked at united... used to fly for free. Now I just take jet blue if its domestic, or something like Emirates to Europe. Just bring a bar of soap small cologne, Headphones and a juice pack to charge my phone so I can listen to music.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

We fly a lot and if the flight is longer than 2hrs, 1st class is the move.

Usually smoke something on way to airport and wash down an edible or four with a beer or bloody mary before crashing out or watching movies.

Toiletry bag has razor, shave cream, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, deodorant and a small Dr Bonner bottle. Carry on has iPad, chargers, a book and some gummy candy.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    first class always somewhere after my early thirties. especially since its usually someone else paying for it.

always have some binge watching options downloaded from netflix or whatever on an ipad. in case you don't like inflight options.

chewing gum, tissue, hand lotion, chapstick, ear plugs, sleeping blindfold thingy.

made two exceptions in past 24 months to first class.. 70 min flight to Pittsburgh and it was fine. shortly after we flew to South Africa and a few other places, and made the mistake to save $ there so we could indulge more on trip and stay an extra day on Safari

biggest mistake of my life.

pure torure

never again will I make that mistake
    Wtf is Archie doing on the plane???

5918mike
    5918mike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3032

Aisle first, then window. I will avoid checking my luggage and go as light as possible. My ears kill me on landing so I always need some earplanes to get through it. Don't eat airline food, it's only a water bottle and maybe a snack. I've never been in an airplane bathroom. Must have my headphones, over the ear, noise cancelling, music or movie.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

First class to the bash from Sydney is over $16000 return and Bus Class is over $8000. Compared to about $1200 for Economy Plus (bit more legroom and seats that lay back further) or under $1000 for the cheapest economy seat available.

Everyone who would only take first class put their hands up again?

I think a lot of it is the state of mind you put yourself into. I consciously tell myself it isn't too bad or too long and try to avoid thinking about the time when on board. Have taken 6 x 10 hour plus flights in the last year and felt fine after all but one. But think I picked up a bug in the plane that time.

Also, I don't get you guys that avoid checked bags so badly. It's never been too crowded, taken too long or been any hassle for me. Airlines have driven so many people away from checked bags it's just fine now.

Also don't understand all the bitching about waiting for customs and TSA checks. Longest I ever had to wait was about 40 mins at JFK on a busy weekday morning. LAX has been a breeze every time. 15 mins after landing I am in an Uber and gone.
    Points Awarded:

deltgen gave Optional 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I fly all the time. Minus a few times here and there, my flights are a breeze. I've learned what to do and what not to do.

- First class is great, but -EV if flying domestically. And it's usually all taken up, not sure how you guys get it as often as you do (most people do lie on here). On AA, it's damn near impossible sometimes. I'll get bumped once in a blue moon on Delta, but rather put that money in my pocket otherwise. Often, that money covers one hotel night.

- I know this will go over super well on SBR, but drinking on a plane is -EV too. You're gonna pretend to be a baller and fly first class, but you're gonna go apeshit on the free drinks, and be rocked by the time you land? Amateur shit. People who really do fly a lot, and take first class don't do this. People who don't and have a once-a-year get-aways fall into this trap all the time. You can tell who's who right away when you're sitting there. I'd much rather wait until I land and go someplace social with a vibe and drink there -- not on a fukking airplaine. "But the drinks are free" said the guy who just paid for first class. LOL

- To survive coach, and it's not hard, download a movie on your phone, throw some headphones on, and watch it. Sleeping just hurts your neck, and neck pillows are awful. Window seat is better here, since nobody who has to pee will interrupt you, and you won't get your elbow slammed into by the two ton drink cart. Flight goes by in a breeze.

- There are places I won't be thrifty, like Spirit Airlines. Frontier is a notch better because their seats are newer, and I can go LAS to STL for $31 sometimes, but I will buck up here where necessary just to avoid Spirit. My entire mood for my trip depends on it. Last time I took it was LAS to SAN, a 50 minute flight, and the flight attendants were pretty much babysitting the adults in the first 5 rows. Hamburger shit. Took us 20 minutes longer to take off because people couldn't act right. Never again.

- I get one of those vitamin packs you get from the gas station to take after a longer flight. You lose a lot with the dehydration, those things can get you back on track quick I've found. Having a bottle of water with you is nice too, since you should drink the whole thing, and you can ignore the shitty snacks and soda service while you watch your movie.

- 5 hour plus flights are rare for me, but I don't mind breaking them up into two flights with an hour layover or so. Gives me a chance to pee, eat if I want, and stretch out. Most hub airports I use to transfer over (DTW, MSP, SLC, ATL, CLT, PHX), are really convenient for this reason. "But you have to take off and land twice". So what? I want to arrive at where I'm going fresh as possible, and this is the best way IMO.

Hope this helps. Everyone is different, but after 500+ flights or so, this is what I've learned.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

I always fly different airlines, but I try to stick to 3 or 4 where I can get access to the lounge. Amex Plat is key for this - You get Centurion, Delta, and Priority Pass lounges plus a 200 airline credit for any one you chose at the beginning of the year. You can use the credit for lounge access or baggage claims or drinks if you want. Access to a good lounge is key. You can also drink as much as you want their if that's your thing. Plus food, good internet, coffee, etc.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    First class to the bash from Sydney is over $16000 return and Bus Class is over $8000. Compared to about $1200 for Economy Plus (bit more legroom and seats that lay back further) or under $1000 for the cheapest economy seat available.

Everyone who would only take first class put their hands up again?

I think a lot of it is the state of mind you put yourself into. I consciously tell myself it isn't too bad or too long and try to avoid thinking about the time when on board. Have taken 6 x 10 hour plus flights in the last year and felt fine after all but one. But think I picked up a bug in the plane that time.

Also, I don't get you guys that avoid checked bags so badly. It's never been too crowded, taken too long or been any hassle for me. Airlines have driven so many people away from checked bags it's just fine now.

Also don't understand all the bitching about waiting for customs and TSA checks. Longest I ever had to wait was about 40 mins at JFK on a busy weekday morning. LAX has been a breeze every time. 15 mins after landing I am in an Uber and gone.
    Opti, I have to say you have one of the best dispositions I have ever seen.

12 Last