packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    First record stores, now toy stores... many of the chain book stores bit the dust too.

I guess all we have to look forward to anymore are grocery stores. They still have those, right?
    Record stores were the start,had a really nice book store in town that went out of business when Starbucks came along.Grocery stores are starting to lose out to home delivery services,so who knows.

Sears closed down this year,never thought i'd see the day.Lazyness is what alot of it comes down to,people don't even go to the mall anymore to do their Christmas shopping.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 03-17-18 at 11:15 AM.

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I was hoping he was just playing around... and being sarcastic? lol
    Yeah really eh,was abit taken aback, probably had a shitty childhood.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 03-17-18 at 08:11 PM.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

I went by local toys r us this morning.

Sale hasn't started yet although employees inside say they are done by end of the month.

The shelves are full.

Isn't it time to blow everything out?

Maybe this is an example of their business thinking & why they went under.

Sad, regardless.

ArunSh
    ArunSh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 51473

Kind of sad, they were one of my favorites stores as a kid.

Just the general landscape - how many branch stores are going to go totally belly up due to Amazon putting them out of business and of course the video stores going out of business due to Netflix etc. Times are just changing, all the big stores from twenty years ago may be gone twenty years from now (if not already!). But maybe is a good thing for the planet - fewer stores to take up space, more room for other things right?

packerd_00

Best Toys R Us moment: Buying WWF action figures as a kid, first remote control racing car

Worst Toys R Us moment: Paid $49.99 for Nintento's 10 Yard Fight. Man that game sucked for 50 dollars. It felt like a lit my parents money on fire. What a waste.
    The rubber WWF Figures were awesome.

Worst Toys R Us moment my parents buying me the Power Glove,damn thing didn't work.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 03-17-18 at 12:05 PM.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post

Worst Toys R Us moment my parents buying me the Power Glove,damn thing didn't work.
    Power Glove. Man... you are bringing back some memories. Yes, the glove was pretty bad. lol But that 10 yard fight game was so boring. lol Arcade game was much better.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by ArunSh View Post
    Kind of sad, they were one of my favorites stores as a kid.

Just the general landscape - how many branch stores are going to go totally belly up due to Amazon putting them out of business and of course the video stores going out of business due to Netflix etc. Times are just changing, all the big stores from twenty years ago may be gone twenty years from now (if not already!). But maybe is a good thing for the planet - fewer stores to take up space, more room for other things right?
    20 years is the key. If you can last and have a career in business for 20 years... you did well. There's always someone who has the next better and brighter idea than the other guy.

packerd_00

Power Glove. Man... you are bringing back some memories. Yes, the glove was pretty bad. lol But that 10 yard fight game was so boring. lol Arcade game was much better.
    I should look that game up on YouTube,name doesn't ring a bell.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

All the brick & mortar book stores are gone around here too.

No wonder people are losing their social skills. No reason to leave the house anymore unless it's to work or school.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    All the brick & mortar book stores are gone around here too.

No wonder people are losing their social skills. No reason to leave the house anymore unless it's to work or school.
    Bezos is an outright genius.
    He hired Tom Schonhoff when Amazon was aa mere start up.
    Schonhoff is an I/T all time great, he grilled Bezos during his interview, and said Bezos had all the bases covered.
    Amazon was nothing but a book retailer, Bezos and Schonhoff both realized there was a demand for out of the mainstream market (for instance books you couldn't find at libraries) and they were right.

And the rest is history.

TheMoneyShot

I should look that game up on YouTube,name doesn't ring a bell.
    I use to go to the arcades a lot. 10 Yard Fight was a fun Arcade game. For a Nintendo game.... totally sucked. It's a football game.

Apparently it was released in 1983?

I remember buying it for Nintendo... around... 1988 or 1989

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24944

I use to go to the arcades a lot. 10 Yard Fight was a fun Arcade game. For a Nintendo game.... totally sucked. It's a football game.

Around '88 or '89 you shoulda been buying the original Tecmo Bowl. I do remember playing 10 Yard Fight many years after it's release... a friend of mine had it just laying around but never played it. I popped it in one day just to see what it was like and a few minutes in I realized why he never played it. It was a bad game all around. The only thing I clearly remember was the electronic voice that would chime in if you failed to get a first down... it would say "not ten yards."

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

In 20 years the only stores around will be Wal-Mart, Target, grocery stores, a handful of large retailer clothing stores, and the specialty stores that the last of their kind (ex. sporting goods) to hold on.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Around '88 or '89 you shoulda been buying the original Tecmo Bowl. I do remember playing 10 Yard Fight many years after it's release... a friend of mine had it just laying around but never played it. I popped it in one day just to see what it was like and a few minutes in I realized why he never played it. It was a bad game all around. The only thing I clearly remember was the electronic voice that would chime in if you failed to get a first down... it would say "not ten yards."
    lol yeah. 10 yard fight... most incomplete and worst game ever made lol

I loved Tecmo Bowl... Best game ever made in 1989.

I also liked that game Baseball Stars. I use to try and program the top real MLB Players back then. Spent hours on it. I use to hate it when the MEMORY would get wiped for no reason. lol

packerd_00

Yeah someone posted a clip of the game on YouTube how far weve come in the graphics department,can't believe we were paying the same amount for video games back then as we are know.

Loved the arcade,Suzuka 8 Hours was my game,you ever play it their.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 03-18-18 at 10:41 AM.

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Toys R Us was like going to heaven as a kid. I thought I'd be a rock star if I was ever able to convince my parents to get me a power wheels- they didn't budge on that one though haha. I remember relentlessly bugging my mom to take me there so I could check out their Intellivision game selection. I have fond memories of that place. Sad to see it go.

PromiseLand

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: packerd_00

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by PromiseLand View Post
    Yeah I still despise Nintendo for that film, absolute con job.Did you hear what happened to the actor that played Lucas.

PromiseLand

Haha, that movie was just one big ad/promo for NES. Never heard of that actor before but just looked him up...damn, gotta keep your kids away from that guy.

TheMoneyShot

Good info We've come a long way

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Bezos is an outright genius.
    He hired Tom Schonhoff when Amazon was aa mere start up.
    Schonhoff is an I/T all time great, he grilled Bezos during his interview, and said Bezos had all the bases covered.
    Amazon was nothing but a book retailer, Bezos and Schonhoff both realized there was a demand for out of the mainstream market (for instance books you couldn't find at libraries) and they were right.

And the rest is history.
    Nice post Nasher. I forgot that Amazon was primarily a book store many years ago. Damn.

Greenline
    Greenline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

Nice post Nasher. I forgot that Amazon was primarily a book store many years ago. Damn.
    Bezos in 1999.

First 12