TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

How Is This Possible? PC Gamers Out There... Need Your Advice

I purchased the DLC codes for the Sims 3 from a guy at Ebay back in 2014. The guy had 100% rating and looked legit. You got the original game... and 18 expansion packs. Basically the entire game for $105.00 at the time... I thought it was a great deal. I figured worst case scenario... if the codes were stolen... they just wouldn't activate on EA Origin and I'd get my money back at Ebay. (Now, keep in mind... I think the retail price for the game and all expansion packs was around $250-$300 at the time. So $105.00 sounded like a great deal. Just wanted something fun for my nieces to do to occupy their time when they were around.)

So, I bought the codes at Ebay. He emailed me the codes in full detail... and said if you have any problems... just contact me. All of the codes worked. No issues whatsoever.

In 2015... the game was still working with no issues.... everything A+

In middle of 2016... Origin claims... they have updated the application. All account holders must update Origin immediately. Thought it was kind of odd... all of my games have been working extremely well. So, once I updated the client... The Sims 3 wasn't running effectively. Sims 3 crashed all the time... some expansion packs wouldn't access even though the file folders were downloaded properly.

In August of 2017 EA Claims... majority of the files that were downloaded from our servers were downloaded from 3rd party sellers. What does this mean? Some codes were apparently stolen. We are investigating the matter and your account may or may not of been effected?

December 2017. Now, keep in mind... haven't been able to access The Sims 3 expansion packs since August 2017. I get an email indicating this....

"We are sorry to advise you but upon further investigation and review of your account... The Sims 3 codes were requested by our 3rd party vendor to be deactivated. Please check with the original seller for more details."

Now... I'm like WTF is going on? So I called EA... for a better explanation. And it's really hard to understand anyone... they don't speak great English at all. I explained to them the story.... and here's how they worded this...

"Sir, there's one or 2 ways to purchase EA Games and DLC from Origin. 1. You can purchase it from us directly. 2. You can purchase it from an authorized reseller to use on our website. What apparently happened is... you purchased codes from a 3rd party vendor... who got the codes from us. The person who purchased the codes to sell to you... charged back the sale. The 3rd party vendor contacts us that they didn't receive the money and we in turn deactivate the codes. Hence... that's why you can't access your game anymore."

I said... let me get this straight... I'm so confused at the moment. The codes I received from Ebay were purchased by an individual authentically at that particular time... from a 3rd party reseller that's authorized by EA Origin... correct? His response was... that's correct. Then I said... because somehow that 3rd party reseller 3 years ago figured out that the items weren't paid for... they notified EA Origin for some sort of CREDIT? Correct? EA responds... yes.. that's correct. I said... how is this even remotely possible for your company to credit anyone... once a code is activated? EA replied... because that's our business deal with 3rd party vendors. I'm sorry.

I replied... I'm so lost on this deal. I said... how do we know that your 3rd part vendor is being HONEST WITH YOU? How do I know... you're being HONEST WITH ME right now? Sir, that's exactly what happened. He said.. let me put it in simpler terms for you. The guy you purchased the codes from on Ebay chargebacked that 3rd party vendor. He kept the money from you... and didn't pay the 3rd party vendor. The 3rd party vendor contacted EA Origin that they weren't paid on a business deal... and EA Origin turns off the code. Again, meaning.. you can't play your game anymore.

I responded... after 3 full years!?!?!?!?!?! It took you 3 years???? How is this even possible??? He said sir.. our terms of service indicate... we can deactivate codes at anytime for any reason.

So guys... here's my issue.... what do you believe happened?

1. Do you believe the guy on Ebay sold me bogus codes?

2. Do you believe EA Origin is playing shady tricks on people in an effort to get people to purchase Sims 4? (Keep in mind... if you Google this problem... everyone is having issues about this. I mean... EVERYONE. You mean the entire world was scammed?)

3. Do you believe regardless of what happened... should any EA Origin account be audited 3 years from the purchase date? It's officially 3.5 years now.

Just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I once sued EA after they screwed a real estate broker client of mine back in the 90's while they purchased a $20M office building in austin.....

his commission was supposed to be six percent, and he had an exclusive deal....

my cut of the booty on that case, most of which I put into a local computer company by the name of "Dell", is part of the reason I can waste time on here today......

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 300

Happens all the time, brah. What usually happens is that the scammer gets a review copy of the PC Game. Sells the code to multiple people. PC Games are scary, brah. I bought games on Steam that have disappeared from my library. Also there's the whole upgrade to Windows 10 thing, were I can no longer play my favorite game "The Movies". But to answer your questions.

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) That's were the future of gaming is heading. Especially for sports game were they will launch a game every other year and in between you will pay for roster updates and team updates. Video Games are going to go the Netflix route. What happens when your system runs out of room?

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

wow, finally made it through the whole write up.....

sad shit, TMS, the way that went down.... almost as bad as some POF babe posting photos so photoshopped you got sucked into a tryst you never would've went into but for the fraud....

bol....

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
    Happens all the time, brah. What usually happens is that the scammer gets a review copy of the PC Game. Sells the code to multiple people. PC Games are scary, brah. I bought games on Steam that have disappeared from my library. Also there's the whole upgrade to Windows 10 thing, were I can no longer play my favorite game "The Movies". But to answer your questions.

1) Yes.

2) No.

3) That's were the future of gaming is heading. Especially for sports game were they will launch a game every other year and in between you will pay for roster updates and team updates. Video Games are going to go the Netflix route. What happens when your system runs out of room?
    Thanks for the post. I have another question... there's a lot of people selling the entire Sims 3 collection on disc. Is it better to have the game on discs rather than have Origin control everything you do now??? Or when a game needs updates... you must automatically link it with Origin? I really hate this new must be ONLINE TO PLAY your pc games now. Such BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    wow, finally made it through the whole write up.....

sad shit, TMS, the way that went down.... almost as bad as some POF babe posting photos so photoshopped you got sucked into a tryst you never would've went into but for the fraud....

bol....
    Thanks Donker. I'm over it. That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks... I'm only going to purchase directly from EA Origin or Playstation Store for now on.

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 300

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Thanks for the post. I have another question... there's a lot of people selling the entire Sims 3 collection on disc. Is it better to have the game on discs rather than have Origin control everything you do now??? Or when a game needs updates... you must automatically link it with Origin? I really hate this new must be ONLINE TO PLAY your pc games now. Such BS.

Thanks Donker. I'm over it. That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks... I'm only going to purchase directly from EA Origin or Playstation Store for now on.
    I can relate to the must be online play. I cannot stand it. They do that though to cut down on the pirated games, so I understand but buying PC games are always a risk when it doesn't come from the source. I usually wait around this time to purchase games because they usually have a Buy 2 Get 1 Free or at a 40% discount. I'm not sure if you are aware about Steam but they have a Christmas sale around this time and on the 25th they give out a game for free. Origin and Ubisoft automatically want you to link to them. The positive is that Origin usually throws in a free game once a month. But Yes when you update a game it registers to Origin.