dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Levittown, suburbia. Do you live in one or near one?

If you are very young you might think the suburbs have been around for quite a long time. They have not, they are a pretty recent phenomenon in American history. Before the suburbs most Americans lived in the city or on or near a farm. Naturally not all but most. After WWII a man by the name of Levitt decided to purchase land, develop it and build hundreds of very cookie like homes in a very structured well thought out environment. A few of them took on the name of Levittown. One in Pa for sure, the one that I know. One in NY and a handful of others in the East.

These homes were sold basically to returning veterans and they were cheap. Not cheaply made but very inexpensive, I believe less than 8 thousand dollars. And they were modern, had the most recent conveniences and also pretty much ahead of their time. They were built in factories, once called prefabricated homes. Many people looked down on these homes but there was really nothing wrong with them if built properly. In fact, some people even think they have many advantages over a stick built structure. That can be argued both ways.

Any of you guys brought up in or near a Levittown? My uncle and aunt bought one of the first and I visited as a very very young child. Mom and dad told me when I was a little older that the neighboring people in some of the wealthier cities looked down on these type developments. They felt superior to these people. I don't know if that is completely true but I can believe it. Also minorities were barred from living there. Those people had tremendous trouble getting a home in a Levittown community. The same soldiers who fought and were wounded were denied access by our government. How about that for not so long ago history. Such a shame.

Would love to hear any stories about these communities. Anything at all.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Isn't Bill O'Reilly from Levittown? Think I heard that from one of his interviews.

I'm not from a suburb. I sort of live in one now. Very diverse community and quiet.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

I slept with a girl from Levittown once.