PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Suicide rate among teenage girls in US hit 40-year high: Report

Suicide rates for US teens rise significantly: Report

New figures from the US government show that the suicide rate for American teenagers rose significantly between 2007 and 2015, amid an increase in suicides in the overall population.

Suicide rates doubled among girls aged 15 to 19 and grew by more than 30 percent for teenage boys in this age group between 2007 and 2015, according to data from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).

The suicide rate among teenage girls in 2015 was at a 40-year high, the figures show.

"These data show that between 2007 and 2015, there's substantial increases in suicide rates for both young males and young females," said Tom Simon, an author of the report and associate director for science in the division of violence protection at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which administers the NCHS.

"We know that overall in the US, we're seeing increases in suicide rates across all age groups," Simon said, putting the new report in perspective.
    Experts cite family instability and drug abuse as some factors for suicide, as well as the role of bullying, especially in cyber-space.

Overall suicide rates grew by 24 percent between 1999 and 2014, the CDC said in a report last year.

Read More:

The high suicide rates among older teens in 2015 "could be the result of a lot of things," said Carl Tishler, an adjunct associate professor of psychology and psychiatry at the Ohio State University who was not involved in the report.

Possible risk factors for suicide include an exposure to violence, social isolation, a history of substance abuse, conflict within relationships, shame and a lack of available support.

A vast number of people who die from suicide are those with psychiatric conditions, including depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, said Jeffrey Borenstein, President and CEO of the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation.

The lack of stability in the United States' economy could also be a factor, Simon said.
    "In times of economic prosperity, suicide rates go down," he said. "In times of economic instability, suicide rates go up."

The economic recession of the late 2000s and the increase of drug addiction are some of the other factors leading to more frequent incidents of suicide, said Kristin Holland, a behavioral scientist at the CDC.

Lack of economic instability is a major factor IMO.....

For the first time in history Middle class families are systematically going from Middle class to Poor within the same generation..

Poor people who are born into poor become adapted to poverty....

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

I've known and heard about many people committing suicide. Not one of them did it because they were poor. If anything worrying about where your next meal is coming from keeps you from having the time to be depressed or suicidal.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

I blame Facebook.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    I blame Facebook.
    internet bullying

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    I've known and heard about many people committing suicide. Not one of them did it because they were poor. If anything worrying about where your next meal is coming from keeps you from having the time to be depressed or suicidal.
    Were any of them reduced from middle class to poverty?

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Were any of them reduced from middle class to poverty?
    No, like I said none of them were impoverished. If anything poverty simplifies things. The closest thing I've heard to someone killing themselves over money were gamblers who lost it all, but that has more to do with their uncontrollable sickness than being poor. There are too many safety nets in our welfare state for people who don't have other issues like drugs or health problems to be uncomfortably poor.

Stay off drugs and don't get to know the Clintons and you should be fine.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I blame Facebook.
    This is right on.

All media outlets kids are going too. Instagram... all that sh#$.

Everyone is always trying to fit in. It's sad when it's not even god damn REALITY!!!

Pray for em all.

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Facebook should be shut down and that jerkoff Mark Zuckerberg should get life in prison. Facebook is the worst invention ever. I will never use that garbage.

Foxx

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Eh, I don't buy the whole social media thing. Bullying has been around forever. Kids are coddled now, and don't have to grow up. I was one of them.

If I lived in a different damn state where guns were everywhere then I'd be dead. I don't trust a rope, and hate heights.

The internet in general may be the increase. People afraid to do it a certain way can search for a method that is effective, and something kids will go through with. They have access to information early, and before they grow out of the wanting to kill yourself stage.

Girls must be getting better at it. They usually fck up as a cry for help. When guys do it, they get it done.

PAULYPOKER

nnnnnnnn

PAULYPOKER

No, like I said none of them were impoverished. If anything poverty simplifies things. The closest thing I've heard to someone killing themselves over money were gamblers who lost it all, but that has more to do with their uncontrollable sickness than being poor. There are too many safety nets in our welfare state for people who don't have other issues like drugs or health problems to be uncomfortably poor.

Stay off drugs and don't get to know the Clintons and you should be fine.
    So, you do not know whether or not Class warfare is one of the main causes of the rise in suicides among teenagers...

I do not either....

However Facebook bullying and middle class to poverty stricken are new to the suicide equation...

PAULYPOKER

Mostly girls and women use facebook...

Not many boys and men use facebook compared to girls and women.....

dlowilly

So, you do not know whether or not Class warfare is one of the main causes of the rise in suicides among teenagers...

I do not either....

However Facebook bullying and middle class to poverty stricken are new to the suicide equation...
    You could be right I just don't see it. I'm just saying going by who I have known and heard of committing suicide it had nothing to do with socioeconomic status. You haven't linked any articles or studies saying it is linked, just ones saying the numbers of suicides have risen among teens.

PAULYPOKER

1. Financial crisis caused 5,000 suicides - Sep. 18, 2013 - CNN Money
      http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/18/news.../index.htmlSep 18, 2013 ... The crash of 2008 triggered a rise in suicides among men in Europe ... for every suicide, approximately 30 to 40 peoplemake suicide attempts.

1. More Than 10,000 Suicides Tied To Economic Crisis, Study Says
      http://www.forbes.com/sites/melanieh...study-says/Jun 12, 2014 ... More Than 10,000 Suicides Tied To Economic Crisis, Study Says ... A dramatic spike in suicides between 2008 and 2010 can be linked with the ... However, the majority of the suicides were amongst people already suffering ... the U.S...

1. Wall Street and Suicide - CNBC.com
      http://www.cnbc.com/id/40841645Dec 29, 2010 ... Where were the people flinging themselves out of windows onto Wall Street, ... At that time, right after the crash that caused the Great Depression of the ... of death) but after the stock market collapse of October, 2008 and until...

1. Executives' Suicides Accompany Downturn - The New York Times
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/bu...uicide.htmlNov 6, 2008 ... As markets continue to tumble worldwide, some experts predict ... A suburban stock broker in Connecticut jumped from an 11th-story ... Most of that era's suicides came in the years after the crash as the ... “My research showed that...

1. Report: 2008 financial crisis increased suicide rates in U.S., Europe ...
      http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-2...-us-europe/Sep 18, 2013 ... Suicide rates for North and South America, Europe were 3.3 percent higher than ... a baseline figure for how many suicides should have been expected in 2009. ... said in 2008 that by 2009, 212 million people would be unemployed. .....

1. Financial Suicides | Vanity Fair
      https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009...al-suicidesApr 22, 2009 ... The number of financial-related suicides has risen as the NASDAQ has ... After losing nearly $700,000 in 2007, he began ignoring investors' ... January 18, 2008 .... *Details:*Rachleff committed suicide the same day he discovered t...

1. Why aren't we seeing any suicides on Wall Street?
      http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...icides.htmlSep 22, 2008 ... 22 2008 6:18 PM ... The Great Crash of 1929—and, to a lesser extent, the crash of 1987—did lead some people tocommit suicide. ... On the day after Black Thursday, the New York Times reported that many "wild and false" .....

1. Suicides on Wall Street - The Daily Beast
      http://www.thedailybeast.com/suicides-on-wall-streetDec 31, 2008 ... We may never know how much money was lost (or stolen) this year, but the ... But it's also part of a bigger story that broke almost the moment 2008 began, when ... Job losses are everywhere on Wall Street, and most people I speak t...

dlowilly

Pauly you said "Lack of economic instability is a major factor IMO....." which I'm sure you meant lack of economic stability

The way I interpreted your post was you thought kids were committing suicide because middle class families were gradually becoming poorer in this country, not because of the immediate effect of the worst economic crash since the great depression. The thread was about teenage girls but now you're linking articles talking about grown men offing themselves because of a traumatic loss of wealth similar to a gambler losing everything.

PAULYPOKER

When a middle class family loses their jobs they immediately become poor...

Those jobs are gone...

To them the loss is just as lethal as a rich man losing his fortune

Foxx

You could be right I just don't see it. I'm just saying going by who I have known and heard of committing suicide it had nothing to do with socioeconomic status. You haven't linked any articles or studies saying it is linked, just ones saying the numbers of suicides have risen among teens.
    More money more problems.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I blame Facebook.
    Bingo.

"The internet is the best worst thing to happen to the human race." -Kermit

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

not just facebook
    all forms of social media
    suicide scares the shit out of me when it comes to others
    I have a daughter about to be a teenager and what we have instilled in her
    is a trust to share any kind of inner turmoil or problems with us
    we gain her trust by not judging her so she doesnt shy away or isnt afraid to tell us things
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kermit

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel_CashFlow View Post
    not just facebook
    all forms of social media
    suicide scares the shit out of me when it comes to others
    I have a daughter about to be a teenager and what we have instilled in her
    is a trust to share any kind of inner turmoil or problems with us
    we gain her trust by not judging her so she doesnt shy away or isnt afraid to tell us things
    True. I have seen many videos of girls kicking the shit out of another girl over twitter too. Then you have instagram beefs and all kids of other madness.

PAULYPOKER

Gamblers for some reason on social networks have impenetrable skin....

Just look how we attack our forumworld enemies here at SBR......

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

internet bullying
    This is the main reason,our new technology.It's really bad for girls,btwn 10-15! The NY Times did a story on this about 8 years ago. Girls that age are very prone to bad things said about them. As boys have many outlets ,esp. sports to bond as a group.................sad stuff!!

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3521

I blame Facebook.
    When I was just leaving High school,FB hadn't arrived yet,MSN Messenger was the source back then.