Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bowling...straight or spinner

Okay what kind of bowlers do we have here at SBR?

Do we have people here that just get smashed and roll it as hard as possible with a ball 3x too heavy or do we have some Pros here that know how to actually bowl?

Or is bowling dead as a hammer these days and we should be talking about the NFL playoffs?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I started bowling at the age of 5. Walked away from bowling with the highest avg of 212 at the age of 21. Competition is actually very heavy in Michigan, Ohio, and oddly Florida. Last place golf (PGA) pays more than 1st place bowling (PBA). That's pretty sad.

Juice isn't worth the squeeze. Wasted several key years of my youth at bowling alleys. Dumb dumb dumb dumb.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2786

I love bowling and do it leisurely whenever I get the chance...I'm a straight shooter, not a spinner...I still suck at it but I enjoy playing...my average score is around 150.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Straight at an angle. Average about a 140.

TheMoneyShot

One thing I noticed about growing up in the bowling world... hardly any hot bitches around. Even at a young age. Most were knitting at 15 years old and sh#$.

If I could change one thing about my life... wish I never spent years at bowling alleys.

Once spent 14 hours straight at a bowling alley Noon til 2AM.
    Once bowled 32 games in one day. Not even close to what professionals bowl per day. My thumb was toast. 3 blisters.. all opened and raw.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

I average 215 with bumper guards.

Nut_Flopper
    Nut_Flopper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8840

A friend asked me to join her league about 3 years ago or else they were out. Before that I hated bowling and went about once a year only on a drunken whim. Started out using house ball and shoes throwing a straight ball with a 110 average.

After I got my own gear and a finger tip ball average is around 180. I still hate bowling but I like drinking beer talking shit and betting on our games frames and whatever game they are playing on the TV. If your serious about it get your own ball and work on the curve. If your not well then...eh who gives a penetrate anyway bowling sucks.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

I bowl once a year, use a 10 lb ball and roll a 120

TheMoneyShot

Some dude here in Michigan rolled a 900 2 weeks ago. Unreal.

TheMoneyShot

Has anyone ever cracked the core of a bowling ball before?

There's a trick.... pour water in the finger holes.... if water starts to appear in the thumb hole... your core is cracked. Basically your bowling ball is worthless.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Has anyone ever cracked the core of a bowling ball before?

There's a trick.... pour water in the finger holes.... if water starts to appear in the thumb hole... your core is cracked. Basically your bowling ball is worthless.
    I guess it's true, you learn something new every day.

I bet half of the public balls at bowling alleys have cracked cores.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

I suck at bowling but I do enjoy going... drinking beer, hanging out with friends... my strategy is to throw the ball as hard as I can right down the middle. I probably average 130 or so, which is terrible. I probably wouldn't even keep score if the alley didn't do it for me.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

I would say about 80% of house balls on the rack have a defect in them. Most of the time it's a drilling error.

90% of the time.... a core can crack because in the Northern States.... someone left their bowling balls out in the cold... usually below 32 degrees. Then... they throw the ball down the lane... ball hits the pins... and cracks the core internally.

So... make sure you throw a room temperature bowling ball down the lane.

SHADYLANKY
    Update your status
    SHADYLANKY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 196

One thing I noticed about growing up in the bowling world... hardly any hot bitches around.
    I lived in Vegas and bowled in a league twice. Summer league with my drinking buddy and two cocktail waitresses he worked with 1st time. Both were attractive but not hot by Vegas standards. One was really pretty so-so body. The other had pretty banging body but plan face and fried as fukk hair. Anyways every team we bowled against drooled all over the girls. Pretty funny shit. The 2nd league was right after same 2 girls but my drinking buddies co-worker who was a great bowler but not 1/100 as fun as my drinking buddy. Fukking guy made it miserable after 2 months. He was only worried about winning each match with 3 people that only wanted to drink and have fun. Never bowled in a league again. But yeah most bowling leaguers are pretty fawking lame.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by SHADYLANKY View Post
    I lived in Vegas and bowled in a league twice. Summer league with my drinking buddy and two cocktail waitresses he worked with 1st time. Both were attractive but not hot by Vegas standards. One was really pretty so-so body. The other had pretty banging body but plan face and fried as fukk hair. Anyways every team we bowled against drooled all over the girls. Pretty funny shit. The 2nd league was right after same 2 girls but my drinking buddies co-worker who was a great bowler but not 1/100 as fun as my drinking buddy. Fukking guy made it miserable after 2 months. He was only worried about winning each match with 3 people that only wanted to drink and have fun. Never bowled in a league again. But yeah most bowling leaguers are pretty fawking lame.
    I use to work at 3 different bowling alleys when I was a junior and senior in high school. I was just a porter... cleaning up between leagues... from what I witnessed back in the day... the women just wanted to get out of the house... mingle a little. Have a few drinks etc. I wouldn't say any of them had knock out bodies etc. But, I do remember this one situation when I always noticed this one woman with this one guy. Yes, they were married. Then, I started noticing her walking, laughing, having a good time with this other guy on a different bowling night. Same bowling alley. She was cheating on her husband. Why on earth would you cheat at the same bowling alley you go to? At least go somewhere else?? You know? That was weird.

I would say over 50% of the women want to get laid. I would say most of these women are about a 5 or 6. Might find a middle aged woman with a nice rack? Also a big stomach too

The price to bowl in a league is ridiculous these days. I wouldn't pay it.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

3D I was thinking last night of all the funny and unusual moments back in the day when bowling in some state tournaments etc.

There was this kid I met back when I was a senior in high school. I would say he was a nerd... highly logical. But crazy. He was my teammate in one of the tournaments. Guy use to throw a Burgundy Hammer.. now.. the maximum weight of the ball is 16 lbs. This kid use to put cement in his Axis Hole to put more weight to the bowling ball. I think he told me it weighed around 17.3 lbs. Which is illegal. You're probably saying... wtf is this kid doing? The weight wasn't used to knock down more pins in essence... basically when you go to these tournaments they only oil the lane once in the morning. They typically put a heavier coat down... but it doesn't last. So if you're bowing the 4th squad... the lane is very dry. So your ball gets in rotation much quicker... and you really don't want that. Starts hooking well before you want it to... so the extra weight of the ball holds it's break point a little longer than usual. Kid was absolutely a knucklehead. I didn't care if I got disqualified or not... kid made me laugh. But who pours cement in their Axis Hole for extra weight?

So many funny moments going to these tournaments. Went to Milwaukee, Chicago, Ontario, Ohio, everywhere. It was fun taking road trips. Total waste of time now I look back on it.

TheMoneyShot

We also used to bowl for $ after school. Each kid would put in $5. So to win $40 after school.... man.... that was a large amount of $ for a kid in 1995. Per youth bowling rules... you aren't allowed to gamble. Even collegiate bowling you aren't allowed to do this. Man those days after school were fun.

I guess the gambling led me to SBR.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

What the hell is a spinner. Thought it was called a hook

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Now if you find a girl who's a spinner...

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    Most people throw a simple hook.

I knew this one kid who threw a spinner. There are advantages of throwing a spinner. If done correctly... and the ball is drilled properly... it can hold the bowling ball's curve energy 45 feet down the lane. Which means... it will break viciously strong the last 15 feet. So you'll get more pin action.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

I can pick up a 7 pin using every board of the line left to right to left.

Usually don't go that extreme, but people laugh whenever I shoot that shot.

I'm about 190, but I should be a lot better. Doing something wrong, not sure what. Probably need the right ball/drill/instruction because I throw a strong hook and can repeat. How much you charge for lessons, MoneyShot?

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

I would say about 80% of house balls on the rack have a defect in them. Most of the time it's a drilling error.

90% of the time.... a core can crack because in the Northern States.... someone left their bowling balls out in the cold... usually below 32 degrees. Then... they throw the ball down the lane... ball hits the pins... and cracks the core internally.

So... make sure you throw a room temperature bowling ball down the lane.
    So what are the chances my ball's core is cracked if I used to just leave it in my trunk between uses in all types of weather? Is pouring water in the holes the only way to tell? Would this be noticeable like when you throw the ball, would you get less hook after the core is cracked or something?

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I can pick up a 7 pin using every board of the line left to right to left.

Usually don't go that extreme, but people laugh whenever I shoot that shot.

I'm about 190, but I should be a lot better. Doing something wrong, not sure what. Probably need the right ball/drill/instruction because I throw a strong hook and can repeat. How much you charge for lessons, MoneyShot?
    There are a lot of variables to someone's game. But there's a couple things we can look at. I use to be a "full roller" and what this means... your oil streak will be just left of the finger holes.... and then the streak clips your thumb hole. They claim full roller's can't generate enough striking power etc. If you're right handed... you leave a flat 10 pin... or sometimes even the 5 pin (no drive... no 5.) A full roller does have a lot of accuracy... usually very good spare shooters. But they have a hard time stringing strikes.

The proper oil streak on the ball (if you're right handed) is just left of the middle finger hole.... and left of the thumb hole. They call this a 3/4 roller. Most professional bowlers have this track. To acquire this track line... takes a lot of practice... and some are just naturally gifted. They claim a 3/4 roller can generate a lot of torque during the last 15 feet of the lane... another term for this is "back end."

Let's talk about the finger holes. Do you have a conventional grip? Semi finger grip? Or full finger tip grip? Do you use tips? Or no tips? Conventional grip is when you stick your fingers all the way to the 2nd knuckle. Semi is just below the 1st knuckle. And full finger tip is 1st knuckle. You can also do a full finger trip drilling pattern with... or without the grips. I've bowled with both.

Also, your thumb hole... do you go with a slug... or no slug. Some slugs are advanced now... with oval pitches etc. Slugs are used for a crisper consistent release. Some bowlers claim the material inside the bowling ball causes their thumb to stick. Again, a slug is made out of a different material... than what the bowling ball is made out of.

Then when you get your ball drilled.... you can actually change the pitches of the finger holes and thumb holes. Some bowlers want the ball out of their hand a split second sooner... you would slightly reverse the pitch of the finger holes to do this. Some bowlers wrists are weaker... and drop their ball a split second sooner... you can also change the pitch of the finger holes and it would help a bowler hang onto the ball.

Not trying to confuse you... just giving you the simple fundamentals of what pros talk about etc. There are some lucky bowlers who run into a ball driller... and they know just what you need from examining you for 15 minutes. Some ball drillers are gifted. I've gone through numerous ball drillers... I never found the lucky one for myself. It's all in who you know.

I actually took 1.5 years off of bowling. Stopped at 18. Started again at 19.5 to 20. Roughly. My friend was at the bowling alley and he goes don't you miss the game? I said... of course... I do. He said throw my bowling ball. We have 2 different hand patterns... and 2 different drilling axis points. I said oh the hell with it... I'll throw it. I had to stretch my hand. It was weird... because it caused me to drop the ball much earlier during my release point... causing the ball to get in full rotation quicker... and however his ball was drilled... it exploded the pins. I think I bowled a 242.... I was like in shock. He said you want the ball? It's yours. Now get back into bowling.

I had a couple of ball drillers copy the pitch of both finger holes... copy the pitch of the thumb hole. They drilled exactly to the replica of the original ball. Oddly enough... I purchased 2 new bowling balls... with identical specs. Both bowling balls didn't feel perfect on my hand like my friend's bowling ball. I even got into an argument with the ball driller... we almost started swinging it got so hot I was like dude... you can't even copy a fukking bowling ball... and you claim it's perfect. Whatever.

So as you can clearly see... every bowling ball driller is different.

Another thing you can do on your own... set up a camera... or use your phone.... take a look at your back swing and release point. Record a few shots... play em back and see if it's to your liking. You'd be amazed at how some bowler's look like on camera... back swing.. follow through etc. It's always good to check yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post

So what are the chances my ball's core is cracked if I used to just leave it in my trunk between uses in all types of weather? Is pouring water in the holes the only way to tell? Would this be noticeable like when you throw the ball, would you get less hook after the core is cracked or something?
    There's a very good chance the core is cracked. Just pour water in the finger holes... if you can see the liquid rising in your thumb hole... your core is cracked. You can just dump out the water.... if the core isn't cracked... the water won't damage your bowling ball.

What happens when your core is cracked? You'll leave a lot of 10 pins if you're right handed.... 7 pins if you're left handed. Sometimes you can actually see the ball ricochet off the head pin... like it had no drive at all... and you know you released it well etc. The ball just won't have that drive that you're use to seeing. Basically the ball is deflecting... has no driving power... because the core is damaged.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

There are a lot of variables to someone's game. But there's a couple things we can look at. I use to be a "full roller" and what this means... your oil streak will be just left of the finger holes.... and then the streak clips your thumb hole. They claim full roller's can't generate enough striking power etc. If you're right handed... you leave a flat 10 pin... or sometimes even the 5 pin (no drive... no 5.) A full roller does have a lot of accuracy... usually very good spare shooters. But they have a hard time stringing strikes.

The proper oil streak on the ball (if you're right handed) is just left of the middle finger hole.... and left of the thumb hole. They call this a 3/4 roller. Most professional bowlers have this track. To acquire this track line... takes a lot of practice... and some are just naturally gifted. They claim a 3/4 roller can generate a lot of torque during the last 15 feet of the lane... another term for this is "back end."

Let's talk about the finger holes. Do you have a conventional grip? Semi finger grip? Or full finger tip grip? Do you use tips? Or no tips? Conventional grip is when you stick your fingers all the way to the 2nd knuckle. Semi is just below the 1st knuckle. And full finger tip is 1st knuckle. You can also do a full finger trip drilling pattern with... or without the grips. I've bowled with both.

Also, your thumb hole... do you go with a slug... or no slug. Some slugs are advanced now... with oval pitches etc. Slugs are used for a crisper consistent release. Some bowlers claim the material inside the bowling ball causes their thumb to stick. Again, a slug is made out of a different material... than what the bowling ball is made out of.

Then when you get your ball drilled.... you can actually change the pitches of the finger holes and thumb holes. Some bowlers want the ball out of their hand a split second sooner... you would slightly reverse the pitch of the finger holes to do this. Some bowlers wrists are weaker... and drop their ball a split second sooner... you can also change the pitch of the finger holes and it would help a bowler hang onto the ball.

Not trying to confuse you... just giving you the simple fundamentals of what pros talk about etc. There are some lucky bowlers who run into a ball driller... and they know just what you need from examining you for 15 minutes. Some ball drillers are gifted. I've gone through numerous ball drillers... I never found the lucky one for myself. It's all in who you know.

I actually took 1.5 years off of bowling. Stopped at 18. Started again at 19.5 to 20. Roughly. My friend was at the bowling alley and he goes don't you miss the game? I said... of course... I do. He said throw my bowling ball. We have 2 different hand patterns... and 2 different drilling axis points. I said oh the hell with it... I'll throw it. I had to stretch my hand. It was weird... because it caused me to drop the ball much earlier during my release point... causing the ball to get in full rotation quicker... and however his ball was drilled... it exploded the pins. I think I bowled a 242.... I was like in shock. He said you want the ball? It's yours. Now get back into bowling.

I had a couple of ball drillers copy the pitch of both finger holes... copy the pitch of the thumb hole. They drilled exactly to the replica of the original ball. Oddly enough... I purchased 2 new bowling balls... with identical specs. Both bowling balls didn't feel perfect on my hand like my friend's bowling ball. I even got into an argument with the ball driller... we almost started swinging it got so hot I was like dude... you can't even copy a fukking bowling ball... and you claim it's perfect. Whatever.

So as you can clearly see... every bowling ball driller is different.

Another thing you can do on your own... set up a camera... or use your phone.... take a look at your back swing and release point. Record a few shots... play em back and see if it's to your liking. You'd be amazed at how some bowler's look like on camera... back swing.. follow through etc. It's always good to check yourself out.

There's a very good chance the core is cracked. Just pour water in the finger holes... if you can see the liquid rising in your thumb hole... your core is cracked. You can just dump out the water.... if the core isn't cracked... the water won't damage your bowling ball.

What happens when your core is cracked? You'll leave a lot of 10 pins if you're right handed.... 7 pins if you're left handed. Sometimes you can actually see the ball ricochet off the head pin... like it had no drive at all... and you know you released it well etc. The ball just won't have that drive that you're use to seeing. Basically the ball is deflecting... has no driving power... because the core is damaged.
    Good stuff. Never leave the 5, but been leaving a ton of 10's lately. Before that I was leaving a ton of solid 8's -- I had nine in one night (3 games). Some nights I can pick up every 10 pins, others I can't make it at all. Weird.

I get a lot of torque. I imagine it's probably a full roll. Yeah, it's probably too much. Probably too extreme.I'm sure my ball and drill is all wrong. I'm too lazy to spend the time to find the right person, study my ball, get the best ones, drill it. I got a new ball last year and it was a total mess, haven't thrown it since. But I've been so bad lately I might pull it out next week.

And I have a nasty habit of owning one lane and getting owned on the other. Nothing more painful than strike/split/strike/split/strike. On one lane I get the grab and drive at the backend. And then on the other it catches a skid and slides light to leave the 2-4-8-10. That's my split of choice.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Bowling is like shooting, it's not the caliber, but the shot placement, same with bowling, you hit that sweet spot and they all fall down every time.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Moneyshot I am amazed at your bowling knowledge and the number of stories you just shared about bowling

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post

Good stuff. Never leave the 5, but been leaving a ton of 10's lately. Before that I was leaving a ton of solid 8's -- I had nine in one night (3 games). Some nights I can pick up every 10 pins, others I can't make it at all. Weird.

I get a lot of torque. I imagine it's probably a full roll. Yeah, it's probably too much. Probably too extreme.I'm sure my ball and drill is all wrong. I'm too lazy to spend the time to find the right person, study my ball, get the best ones, drill it. I got a new ball last year and it was a total mess, haven't thrown it since. But I've been so bad lately I might pull it out next week.

And I have a nasty habit of owning one lane and getting owned on the other. Nothing more painful than strike/split/strike/split/strike. On one lane I get the grab and drive at the backend. And then on the other it catches a skid and slides light to leave the 2-4-8-10. That's my split of choice.
    If you are leaving the 8 pin constantly (assuming you are right handed)... it means you're driving the 5 pin straight back. That's considered the tap of all taps. The 5 is suppose to take out the 8. Ball takes out the 9 pin. Your ball is pounding the pocket hard. Tough break. At least we know your core isn't cracked.

What I use to do... is keep one bowling ball off to the side in a closet. Something I'm not going to use for league play. If I had an idea to change a pitch to a finger hole... or thumb hole... I just took the ball to a bowling pro shop... tell them what I'm thinking etc. What they do is plug up the holes. You can plug up one hole... two holes... or all of them. It's the cheapest alternative than wasting money on a brand new bowling ball. After the plug sets in... you can usually drill the ball in about 24 hours. Whatever you were planning to do... change the pitch of a finger hole... or thumb hole etc. Some professional bowlers don't even replug the thumb hole. They drill out the thumb hole completely... and insert a thumb slug. Then they drill right through the thumb slug. Done within 5 minutes. Once a bowler feels comfortable with the measurement of the pitches... copy everything down. And drill a brand new bowling ball.

Does plugging a bowling ball effect the roll or possibly effect your striking power? Yes it does. Remember... you're just plugging a ball to change the pitch. See if a different pitch helps your release point. If it works... Awesome! If it doesn't work... plug the ball up again. I plugged one bowling ball up about 6 times before. It was completely worthless for striking power. If you talk to a pro shop owner... and discuss what you want to do... he might go easy on you with the charge... or work a deal with you.

Couple of other things you probably already knew... but if you didn't.... add it to the trick list.

1. Why do left handed bowlers have an advantage over right handed bowlers? Typically you never see 2 left handed bowlers in a grouping of 10 bowlers. 5 on each team. So the left handed bowler has the entire left side of the lane to himself. His shot never changes because no one is rolling the ball on his side... changing the oil pattern. You never see a lefty change his shot typically. He has a lot of "area" to work with.

2. Resin bowling balls were probably the best invention ever made.... as long as the "back end" (last 15 feet of the lane) is consistently dry. If the last 15 feet of the lane is "spotty" with oil.... take a good look at your rotation... it may slide more than usual and not break. It's because "carry down" occurred. This usually happens in the 3rd game.... all the oil at the 30-35 ft marker is now approaching 45-50 feet. When this happens you need to execute your shot more crisper. You might have to change to a different bowling ball... or change your shot all together.

3. If your resin bowling ball is "jumping" right when you lay it down.... it means there is slim to moderate "head oil" which is the first 15-20 feet of the lane. It causes your bowling ball to "roll out" and lose energy early. By the time the ball hits the pins.... it's lost 50% of it's striking power... ball will deflect more... and drive less. Only way to prevent this (if you're right handed) keep moving left... even if you have to play the 4th arrow or between 4th and 3rd arrow... and send it to 12-15 board and back.... find the oil in the center of the lane... and hope the back end is dry.

4. A urethane is still a great bowling ball. Doesn't hit or drive as hard as a resin... but no matter what the lane condition is... it will give you a consistent roll no matter what the oil pattern is. I always carried a urethane with me... because when I got lost with my resin shot... I knew I could go to that ball.

Do professional bowlers ever throw a urethane on TV? No. They don't. Because they are so damn good at oil patterns... they don't have to. Plus, I'm sure there sponsors told them what bowling ball to throw.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMan View Post
    Moneyshot I am amazed at your bowling knowledge and the number of stories you just shared about bowling
    Ra77er started it It just opened up memories in my head.

Like I said... too much competition. Couldn't get over the hump. A lot of my friends still bowl til this day... never gave it up. We were all good. But there's no money to win in it... just gave it up.

I remember bowling pot games on the side at 21. We all went in for $20 a man. I think 8 people were bowling... so winner took all. $160.00 And this one bowler was drunk... but he was locked in. The problem is... he kept fouling. It was so obvious.... half his foot was over the line. I was like dude... why the fuk you fouling all the time? He said this isn't league play buddy. I said bro... if it's illegal in league play...why do it now? My issue was simple... he was so locked in with his pattern.... if he didn't foul... it would of threw him off. So it lead to a fight etc.

This dude had 7 in a row... and every strike he fouled. I'm not exaggerating. I said what kind of BS are we running here?

Regardless... it was fun til it lasted. Like I said... I spent all of my youth years at bowling alleys. I worked as a porter... then I worked on the pin setters in the back... (mechanic). Almost died once. All it takes is one mistake... not thinking right... and that pinsetter can shred off a limb.

I was working Moonlight Doubles at 11PM at night... usually lasts til 2AM etc. This is when they turn off all the lights in the building and you bowl in the dark. I guess they call it "Cosmic Bowling" now They called in Moonlight back then... anyways... they keep the pit area in the back dark also... so when you're working on the machine... it's super dark. I thought I powered off the machine... and the machine was still on (I was clearing a pin jam in the deck area)... the rake was down... my feet were down there on the lane.... Machine cycled through... I jump on instinct.... the rake clips the back of my shoes/feet.... my hands are on gears holding my body weight up so I didn't get swept under the machine. Luckily the gears didn't slice my fingers off. You aren't suppose to grab the bars/gears because they rotate 90 degrees on a cycle. Unreal.

My dad regrets starting me in bowling. He said I wish I knew golf... I would of started you in that. Last place golf pays more than 1st place bowling.

TheMoneyShot

You guys remember "Lucky Strike" right? Like, most of your leagues had one... when they drew your ticket... and you had to roll a strike to collect the jackpot? Some leagues made you roll 1 strike... some made you roll 3 to win it.

Well in the Summer time... most bowling alley owners are hurting for profits. You make nothing June-August. Until the leagues start up in September.

Well this one guy I worked for... had an ingenious idea. Let's rig the lucky strike. I said... ok??? He felt that if the jackpot increased every 3-4 days... then people would bowl during the summer time and buy more beer.... etc.

He owned a 32 lane bowling alley... naturally you aren't going to fill all 32 lanes in the summer months. He only filled like 10 lanes when this promotion started. So, we had 2 lanes only used for "Lucky Strike" basically it wasn't the same oil pattern as the lanes you were bowling on. So, when your ticket number was called... you had to throw 1 strike on these special set of lanes. You could pick either the left lane or right lane. Once your ball hit this oil pattern... you ball went right in the gutter. No matter how good you were. It was oiled well past the PBA standard.

The Lucky Strike Jackpot got so high... it reached around $14,000. During the last week of running this promotion... he had all 32 lanes going. Yes in the Summer Time. Crazy. It was the talk of the town. We couldn't oil the special set of lanes because they were all used up. So all 32 lanes were oiled the standard setting... just a simple basic shot. He wanted the jackpot won anyways... he said it got too high.

Well the State of Michigan found out about the jackpot. That's why they limit all bowling alleys for "jackpot amounts". They can't exceed $1,000.00 well... I heard now it's even lower. Like $250.00 is the limit.

So... if you were ever selected for the Lucky Strike in your state... and your ball went into the gutter. Now you know why.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Thanks for the info about the cracked core moneyshot. My ball is sitting in the back of a closet in my basement now, haven't used it in awhile but I'll pull it out sometime and give it the water test. I had no idea about that but ya 10 pins were always my achilles heel when I used to roll. Idk if this is just a localized thing but bowling alleys have been closing down near where I live. I think 3 or 4 have closed just in the past several years. These are places that were full of people just a few years ago when I used to bowl regularly. I wonder if bowling is a dying sport/pastime?

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    Thanks for the info about the cracked core moneyshot. My ball is sitting in the back of a closet in my basement now, haven't used it in awhile but I'll pull it out sometime and give it the water test. I had no idea about that but ya 10 pins were always my achilles heel when I used to roll. Idk if this is just a localized thing but bowling alleys have been closing down near where I live. I think 3 or 4 have closed just in the past several years. These are places that were full of people just a few years ago when I used to bowl regularly. I wonder if bowling is a dying sport/pastime?

Yes, bowling alleys are on the decline. The rumors I heard years ago... it was just a dirty sport that didn't appeal to people anymore.

1. People didn't want to smell like smoke all the time. In my state of Michigan... they passed a non-smoking law years ago... bowling alley owners didn't know if it was going to hurt or help the bowling world?

2. I have several old bowling uniforms with oil stains on my shirt. Let's face it... some people don't like getting dirty. It's basically oil/dirt from the lane. Some people like a cleaner sport.

3. Some people classified it as a "nerdy" sport. Funny but true to some.

4. Bowling owners tried to change cosmic bowling. They thought investing in better audio/lighting systems would help. Some of these adjustments cost an owner around $20,000-$40,000 when it first came out... back in 1999. I don't know if the prices came down or not? Probably. I knew he charged $20.00 an hour per lane. I thought that was outrageous... but we always had a full house on Saturday night. I'm sure the price is higher now.

5. There's a bowling alley near me that hosted 20+ PBA events. It was well known to the pros for many years. The business still had a note payment on it after 25 years. I said wtf? How does a business owner still have a note on a business 25 years later? I heard rumors the bank had thoughts about shutting it down because the revenue wasn't consistent anymore. The bank decided to keep the doors open and restructure the loan. But I believe the bank gets a percentage of the yearly revenue.

6. Some bowling alleys opened small poker rooms to gain revenue. When State of Michigan officials found out about the poker rooms... they considered it gambling. That worked for about 2 years.... and that didn't last.

Look at all the sponsors in Bowling.... Denny's and they bailed... Motel 6.. and they bailed. I don't even know why some of these professional bowlers compete anymore? I feel sorry for them.

They needed more purse money for these tournaments to draw interest. They never received it. I don't know exactly how all that works? I like the old days with Bo Burton Jr. and Chris Schenkel as the announcers. They kept it professional... quiet like PGA golf. Now, you got people clapping and acting like maniacs hoping that would generate "new viewers" on ESPN. I'm surprised it's still on TV!!! I really am. I don't think it will ever comeback.

I drive past major bowling alleys in my area... and there parking lots are like at 65-70% filled. When I worked there.... you had to park at another store and walk to the bowling alley. That's how busy bowling alleys were.

I'm happy for sports like PGA Golf etc. Or even Tennis. It's a clean sport. Classy. Weather is always nice and sunny. It's not indoors like Bowling. Golf courses are beautiful. Something just makes you want to be out there and watch... even though you're stuck at one hole for the entire time.

I remember that one time when the PBA tour tried bowling outdoors. OMG... the bowlers were sweating all over the place because of the heat and sun wearing sunglasses while throwing the ball down the lane. You can't make this sh#$ up. Who's in charge of the decision making?

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Money, here in philly they've opened a North Bowl & South Bowl. More of the bar / nightclub scene with a bowling alley in it. Similar to Lucky Strikes but a bit less expensive.

My nephew actually bowls on his HS team (11th grade) and averages about 205. He also plays golf but is not nearly as good. I was amazed at the colleges that offer bowling scholarships.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2422

If you look closely, you can see themoneyshot..

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2422

lol @ 3:45