Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Are we gamblers a slave to Satan?

Just feels like gambling controls my life

rpesi9955
    rpesi9955's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1441

Sorry to hear that sir.best of luck to you.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1926

You could stop gambling for a month before returning to it, to give yourself a break.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Just feels like gambling controls my life
    Curiously, in what ways? What does this mean? Do you gamble for a living, as a main source of income?

For many, gambling itself isn't the problem. It's losing that is a problem. I say instead of telling a bettor to stop betting, for some it can be better to teach him to stop losing.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Curiously, in what ways? What does this mean? Do you gamble for a living, as a main source of income?

For many, gambling itself isn't the problem. It's losing that is a problem. I say instead of telling a bettor to stop betting, for some it can be better to teach him to stop losing.

It's not the losing but the lack of self control and chasing bets. And I guess the losing too

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

We all know there are certain behaviors that will virtually guarantee the death of your bankroll. But before you birth another, have you ever considered why it is you lost in the first place? Learning from your losses or mistakes is more than just learning why you made those mistakes or incurred those losses, it’s about not making those mistakes over again; it’s about not losing for the same reasons. I recently posted this:

...There is more to being a winning gambler than picking winners, I’ve said this before in one way or another…If we can identify the things that make us lose, or that inhibit profit, and stop doing them you will come a long way towards being a long term winner. And truthfully, for some bettors, some of those factors are impossible to overcome...

I believe it was Bobby Knight who put it simply: “find out why you’re losing and stop doing that.”

From poor money management to getting hammered before betting to playing into bad numbers, why are you losing? And what are you doing to stop doing that?...
    Identify those things, chases, double ups, etc. then stop doing them. But first, identify the real problems.

Patience and discipline are tough to master, but are essential. Have the patience to let those plays go by on the way to the winners and the discipline to bet with a defined bankroll and unit size.

Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave KVB 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    It's not the losing but the lack of self control and chasing bets. And I guess the losing too
    Seek professional help, it doesn't get any better with time. Your best self interest is to initiate the inevitable, sooner rather than later, before it completely destroys your life. At least you recognize that you have a problem and that is the first step in the journey to wellness.

Best wishes to you.
    Last edited by Isaiah; 10-24-15 at 12:09 AM.

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

KVB with the fucn Knowledge on top of yall DOME

smokenjoke
    smokenjoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 427

Originally Posted by KVB
    We all know there are certain behaviors that will virtually guarantee the death of your bankroll. But before you birth another, have you ever considered why it is you lost in the first place? Learning from your losses or mistakes is more than just learning why you made those mistakes or incurred those losses, it’s about not making those mistakes over again; it’s about not losing for the same reasons. I recently posted this:

Originally Posted by KVB
    ...There is more to being a winning gambler than picking winners, I’ve said this before in one way or another…If we can identify the things that make us lose, or that inhibit profit, and stop doing them you will come a long way towards being a long term winner. And truthfully, for some bettors, some of those factors are impossible to overcome...

I believe it was Bobby Knight who put it simply: “find out why you’re losing and stop doing that.”

From poor money management to getting hammered before betting to playing into bad numbers, why are you losing? And what are you doing to stop doing that?...

Identify those things, chases, double ups, etc. then stop doing them. But first, identify the real problems.

Patience and discipline are tough to master, but are essential. Have the patience to let those plays go by on the way to the winners and the discipline to bet with a defined bankroll and unit size.

Kevin AKA Ginsu!!!

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

put a budget on it.

if you're going to win with $1000, you're going to win with $50.

if you can't turn $50 into $1000, it's not worth doing, right ?

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Definition of insanity is, doing the same thing and expecting different results.

As KVB pointed out, identify what you are doing wrong and change it.

I keep detailed records and charts. I can look at a glance how I'm doing in every sport along with the odds of what
    I bet on. I keep a daily/ monthly chart that can be read like a stock chart. (Of course you need to know how to read
    charts.) I can look at my chart and know when to go big and know when to go light.

GL Don't kick your own ass, is my motto.

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

A slave to Satan would refer to a slave of sin. Are you a slave to sin ? Excess is a problem, if your losing big it's probably even a bigger problem. Don't entertain yourself with something you can't afford. You wouldn't sit at a nice establishment and ask for a 18 century brandy, if you couldn't afford it, so don't go all in here either. If I have ten bucks on a game it makes it watchable, I'm just not into it that much, like being in a game then having skin in one. Try poker, fun. or just tail someone who has shown + units over time and go from there. Hope u well,

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20481

When the fun stops.
    Problem Gamblers Helpline
    1-800-522-4700

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    A slave to Satan would refer to a slave of sin. Are you a slave to sin ? Excess is a problem, if your losing big it's probably even a bigger problem. Don't entertain yourself with something you can't afford. You wouldn't sit at a nice establishment and ask for a 18 century brandy, if you couldn't afford it, so don't go all in here either. If I have ten bucks on a game it makes it watchable, I'm just not into it that much, like being in a game then having skin in one. Try poker, fun. or just tail someone who has shown + units over time and go from there. Hope u well,

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

depends on what you gamble for

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Big ups to all my haters..

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

retard
    retard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

Yes every game is scripted and rigged it's like gambling on wwe.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

No we are not slaves to satan...

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Hahaha! you must've stepped on her toes

xdodger19
    xdodger19's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

You need to get saved. Believe on the son of God Jesus Christ and you will be saved.
    Then get a King James Bible and start reading it.
    1Corinthians 15:1-3
    Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
    By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
    For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Corinthians 2:23
    All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Romans 14:23
    And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    put a budget on it.

if you're going to win with $1000, you're going to win with $50.

if you can't turn $50 into $1000, it's not worth doing, right ?
    That's what I do. I always start out with $50 or a $100 and see how long I can play on it and turn it into something bigger. If it can last me a month then I feel ok about it. This is entertainment for me. A hobby. Nothing more.

If you are gambling and trying to make a living at it, trying to win everyday and chasing losing bets - then yeah that cycle can get you all sorts of messed up.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by recon1 View Post
    Recon, do not test me you Blunderbuss.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Recon, do not test me you Blunderbuss.

Soooo, your calling me a short barrel gun?

Blunderbuss:The term "blunderbuss" is of Dutch origin, from the Dutch word donderbus, which is a combination of donder, meaning "thunder", and bus, meaning "Pipe" (Middle Dutch: busse, box, tube, from Late Latin, buxis, box,[1] fromAncient Greek pyxίs (πυξίς), box: esp. from boxwood).

Look sweet pea, just give me a winner tonight, Ravens or Cardinals?

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

A lot of your decision making isn't independent but driven by underlining psychological drives and cravings that you might not even be aware of. I NEED to smoke and gamble on sports, its in my blood, not in any denial about my addiction. Not right in my head if I don't have action pending. Even if you are +EV you can still become addicted and go through withdrawals and shit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_gambling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impu...ntrol_disorder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogn...vioral_therapy

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Soooo, your calling me a short barrel gun?

Blunderbuss:The term "blunderbuss" is of Dutch origin, from the Dutch word donderbus, which is a combination of donder, meaning "thunder", and bus, meaning "Pipe" (Middle Dutch: busse, box, tube, from Late Latin, buxis, box,[1] fromAncient Greek pyxίs (πυξίς), box: esp. from boxwood).

Look sweet pea, just give me a winner tonight, Ravens or Cardinals?
    I know what a blunderbuss is. I just thought it was a funny thing to call someone. Not necessarily offensive, antagonizing or confrontational but still worth a chuckle.

And I really don't know about this game. I feel like if I had to bet I would take Cards or maybe the under. This is a classic spot in which a sizeable fav lets down everyone. Ravens suck though.
    Points Awarded:

brainfreeze gave MoMoneyMoVaughn 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Haha

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Yes
    Dominating

Anti social

Ebe
    28-1
    Ebe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15

The funny thing about this industry is you literally cant get rich off of it, unless you move to Nevada.

soxwin1917
    soxwin1917's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1922

Quote Originally Posted by Ebe View Post
    The funny thing about this industry is you literally cant get rich off of it, unless you move to Nevada.
    THIS. We talk about the 1% who are successful at it, but that's not the number who could live off their picks. What a crazy hobby.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Don't lose more than you can afford to lose.

If you like the action, bet smaller amounts. Murphy's Law will guarantee that you go on a win streak.

pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Otters probably means gambling controls his life... Like its on his mind all day. He's probably developed some anti social tendencies because of it... Maybe he goes out less with friends, would rather isolate and refresh scoreboards all night. Or maybe his mood is directly affected by the outcomes of games. Maybe he has a hard time going out with friends because he's constantly checking his phone for scores

We've all been there.

Everything in moderation, though it's easier said than done

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

Yea, and he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever.
    And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell.
    And behold, others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell; and he saith unto them: I am no devil, for there is none—and thus he whispereth in their ears, until he grasps them with his awful chains, from whence there is no deliverance.

Small sins are like the flaxen cord. Satan is trying to catch us, but we can still break free easily.

But what happens if we don’t break free? If we let Satan prevent us from doing good things? Gradually, he wraps more and more threads around us. Once he gets enough threads on us, it becomes like “awful chains”. We start to lose the ability to exercise our free agency. It starts to be hard to break free.
    Satan wants to get enough cords around us so that he can drag us down to hell. He wants us to be as miserable as he is.
    Points Awarded:

recon1 gave innovation 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

brainfreeze gave innovation 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

only if youre a slave to religion

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

I am a slave to smoked chicken thighs.

$16/lb

12 Last