The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Here we go

This was a touching story. A beautiful, 24 year old woman shot dead while doing her job as a reporter. Her colleague, a 27 year old man, also shot dead. It gripped the nations headlines for days.

Now, her father vows to fight for gun control. He says "this time will be different". This is exactly how bills are initiated. That's why many are named after people. It only takes one.

A couple things worth noting: obama recently said he regrets not doing more to fight for gun control. Primaries are in full effect, this will be mentioned dozens of times over the next few months. Two on duty cops were recently killed.

What do you all think? Will we see meaningful gun reform as a result? This guy sounds determined.

My thoughts: Hunting rifles and shotguns are fine. Semi-auto "assault" rifles will be front and center in the debate. Handguns ??????? Not sure. I will assume revolvers are safe, if they went after anything, it would be guns with high ammo capacity ie pisotls that can hold 18 rounds + 1 in the chamber.

Americans love their handguns, me included.

I just feel we've been close to gun reform for a while and now this. Guess it was inevitable.

Ruh-roh, Raggy

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

What if that weird looking homosexual used machete or samurai sword for his weapon? What an idiot...

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

he ain't gonna do shit. do you really think one guy can just shut down a multi-billion dollar industry?

money talks, bullshit walks. this guy will probably be an advocate of gun laws for the rest of his life but his efforts will be meaningless.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9233

Licensing, waiting periods, small ammo capacity all good things that do not affect lawful ownership whilst making it tougher for 'emotional' people to get guns fast or from easily getting weapons that can kill a lot of people fast.

The Kraken

Yes Opti. Gun reform doesn't mean taking guns away. Gun reform is a broad term. I never meant to imply guns would be taken away. Longer wait periods, more intense background checks, limiting ammo, etc all gun reform

Pronk, are you seriously going to compare apples to oranges? How about this, you get your army of 100 people together with Samurai swords and I'll get an army of 10 people together with AR-15's and we'll see who wins. Ridiculous to compare the two

I understand swords and knives and bats and cars can kill people. That's besides the point and a clear strawman

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Only seen loved ones of those killed talking about gun control the last few years, mostly after the mass shootings, which is strange to me, who talks about gun control after a loved one has been killed, never ever seen it happen before the last few years.
    Last edited by jtoler; 08-30-15 at 12:57 PM.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

"Shall not infringe" seems concrete to me. The female reporter that was gunned downed had her Father on national tv same-day advocating gun laws, how ironic. Every-time i see a weapon being used in a crime, it just proves why we need the 2nd. Heck, we still haven't found out why the Obama administration was circumventing laws on the books for criminal gangs to access firearms AKA: "Fast and furious" when the leading cause of death globally is 'democide' i think i'll keep my guns and you can keep the 'change'
    Last edited by recon1; 08-30-15 at 01:03 PM.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by recon1 View Post
    "Shall not infringe" seems concrete to me. The female reporter that was gunned downed had her Father on national tv same-day advocating gun laws, how ironic. Every-time i see a weapon being used in a crime, it just proves why we need the 2nd. Heck, we still haven't found out why the Obama administration was circumventing laws on the books for criminal gangs to access firearms AKA: "Fast and furious" when the leading cause of death globally is 'democide' i think i'll keep my guns and you can't keep the 'change'
    Bush started it, Obama just another president continuing a program already in existence.

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Bush started it, Obama just another president continuing a program already in existence.
    I don't care who started what, still have not seen proof to the contrary. I am not gang affiliated and don't follow the jackasses or the elephants.

TheSideBet
    TheSideBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

The father is a political player in the state so I believe that has to be taken into account with his new message. Of course, he is allowed to say anything he wants right now and I'm not attacking him personally because I can't imagine losing my own child but it seems a bit odd less than 48 hours of her death he is pushing an agenda. He recently lost the House of Delegates race in Virginia so many Virginians see it as him boosting himself. Listening to his remarks in full I don't believe he's trying to go really far on the anti-gun sentiment but it's been spun that way so far.

The shooter submitted to a background check. He also bought the weapon legally after he was cleared. He bought a basic 9mm handgun with no extended clips or other things usually pointed to as far as banning assault style weapons. I'm not sure what else could have been done to stop the shooting. Vester is at fault here, clear intent, nothing more. There are no logical legislative alternatives that would have stopped him had they ben in place.

I wish more people would focus on the mental health and overmedicated issues we have these days rather then this tired old gun debate. I haven't heard of the Virginia shooter being on any prescriptions yet but all of the other shooters in the news over the past few years were on these meds. We are know stats and probability here as sports investors right? You put a few million people on these drugs and put them back out into society relatively unchecked, this is going to happen. It's a sad state of affairs.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jayfly

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by TheSideBet View Post
    The father is a political player in the state so I believe that has to be taken into account with his new message. Of course, he is allowed to say anything he wants right now and I'm not attacking him personally because I can't imagine losing my own child but it seems a bit odd less than 48 hours of her death he is pushing an agenda. He recently lost the House of Delegates race in Virginia so many Virginians see it as him boosting himself. Listening to his remarks in full I don't believe he's trying to go really far on the anti-gun sentiment but it's been spun that way so far.

The shooter submitted to a background check. He also bought the weapon legally after he was cleared. He bought a basic 9mm handgun with no extended clips or other things usually pointed to as far as banning assault style weapons. I'm not sure what else could have been done to stop the shooting. Vester is at fault here, clear intent, nothing more. There are no logical legislative alternatives that would have stopped him had they ben in place.

I wish more people would focus on the mental health and overmedicated issues we have these days rather then this tired old gun debate. I haven't heard of the Virginia shooter being on any prescriptions yet but all of the other shooters in the news over the past few years were on these meds. We are know stats and probability here as sports investors right? You put a few million people on these drugs and put them back out into society relatively unchecked, this is going to happen. It's a sad state of affairs.
    Then shouldnt we be talking about banning certain particular drugs.

TheSideBet

Then shouldnt we be talking about banning certain particular drugs.
    I think we should. I don't claim to have the answers by any stretch but there is something to be said of all of the overmedicated kids and adults these days compared to the past. It's far too easy to get scripts now with all the nasty side effects.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

"Shall not infringe" seems concrete to me. The female reporter that was gunned downed had her Father on national tv same-day advocating gun laws, how ironic. Every-time i see a weapon being used in a crime, it just proves why we need the 2nd. Heck, we still haven't found out why the Obama administration was circumventing laws on the books for criminal gangs to access firearms AKA: "Fast and furious" when the leading cause of death globally is 'democide' i think i'll keep my guns and you can keep the 'change'
    What about the "well regulated militia" part?

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    What about the "well regulated militia" part?

The word "regulated' had it's meaning changed over the years. In the 1700's and 1800's regulated simply meant in good working order, up to date etc. "Militia" simply means the people.

The Kraken

I think we should. I don't claim to have the answers by any stretch but there is something to be said of all of the overmedicated kids and adults these days compared to the past. It's far too easy to get scripts now with all the nasty side effects.
    You watch your mouth pal

You can keep your drugs, just leave my drugs alone

The Kraken

The word "regulated' had it's meaning changed over the years. In the 1700's and 1800's regulated simply meant in good working order, up to date etc. "Militia" simply means the people.
    I believe the constituition is quite out-dated, if read in it's original context. The world has changed dozens of times over in ways the founding fathers could not have fathomed. Hence it must be a living document and constantly re-assessed to keep up with current times.

Do you agree or disagree?

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9233

If you stopped everyone who was on mind altering medication from having a gun that would be about 80% of America wouldn't it?

recon1
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    I believe the constituition is quite out-dated, if read in it's original context. The world has changed dozens of times over in ways the founding fathers could not have fathomed. Hence it must be a living document and constantly re-assessed to keep up with current times.

Disagree.

The Constitution is a legal document, that's it, not to be tooled with by any one with hidden agendas, but with that said avenues to amend are in place and some amendments have been beneficial.

Nothing has really changed since the inception of America. Our founding Father's were facing a lot of the same enemies of freedom we see today. Freedom and wanting to live freely has been the same since biblical times, people wanting to oppress, arrest, stifle and suffocate freedom work day and night as they did 200+ years ago.
    Founding Father's left Europe and other continents to escape Central banking control and wrote extensively about the dangers of these people. Some reason in 1913 Woodrow Wilson forgot this history lesson and signed into law the 1913 federal reserve act. This is the root of all you see today and since that day.

The 16th Amendment is a good example of fraud as well. Our enemies are not people like you, me or the person struggling in poor areas, it's been Central banks and criminal government who look to enslave every man, women and child regardless of where you live and where you come from.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Heartbreaking for the Dad and her family, but he is fighting an impossible battle. If nothing happened after 20 children were killed at Sandy Hook, it looks like nothing will ever get done.

TheSideBet

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    If you stopped everyone who was on mind altering medication from having a gun that would be about 80% of America wouldn't it?
    I wasn't saying stop anyone on the medication from purchasing or owning, I meant the problem of overmedicating to begin with is a larger issue. I lean more pro 2nd Amendment. There is a middle ground. And more friends and family need to be involved versus laws being passed on the matter. Every time these things happen, there are long histories of warning signs that come out and while I'd never say just because someone has a bad day, a law should be passed banning them from purchasing a weapon but people close to them need to intervene more would be my suggestion.

TheSideBet

You watch your mouth pal

You can keep your drugs, just leave my drugs alone
    Hey I'd never deprive a man of his happy pills or happy juice personally

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

Feel for the father, but I think his frustrations are pushed toward the wrong direction. Past employers do not share what truly happened with employees in fear of being sued. I remember when I was in restaurant management, and I was always taught that talking bad about someone's performance was a big no-no. There is no telling how many jobs this guy might not have received if exact info was given, and he was never hired in the first place. Instead, former employers were probably just happy they were rid of him knowing he would be someone else's problem.

This guy could walk into any interview dressed to the hilt, hair looking great, saying all the right things, and the potential employer more than likely has no idea what kind of person they are bringing into their work area.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

father ego maniac

nothing more to say

The Kraken

Do you think he is grieving right now, JJ?

jtoler

Ask yourself would you be in front of cameras after a close loved one was murdered, seen this too many times the last couple years, all harping gun control.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

Ask yourself would you be in front of cameras after a close loved one was murdered, seen this too many times the last couple years, all harping gun control.
    I'm with you on that one. There is no way I could be on TV spouting off for a cause the same day my daughter was killed. You still have to give your brain the time to accept your loss, and go through the grief process. Don't know much about this guy, but I can guess gun control has been high on his "want list" before this incident even happened.

The Kraken

Disagree.

Good post. Absolutely agree with your first and last paragraph. Middle paragraph, I'm on the other side. I think it's an old document written in a time that was nothing like today. GMO's, cloning sheep, globalism, nuclear weapons, space odyssey, the internet and social media, fully auto rifles capable of firing 1000 rounds per minute, a national population of 300,000,000, Wall Street

Lets look at free speech. Where does free speech end and begin? We live in a different world today that present unique challenges, especially with a 24/7 news cycle and social media. Kids are killing themselves because of others right to "free speech".

The second amendment is viewed as either the personal right to gun owndership or collective rights of fun ownership. The courts have waffled on this over the years. Should we only have the right to own guns to protect the state? Against enemies both foreign and domestic, the problem is, the weapons me and you have access to would not hold up nor be affective in a war. A drone would most likely kill us before we knew what happened.

The fourth amendment has been under the microscope as drug rings are now shoving bags of crystal meth up hookers asses and paying them a hundred bucks to walk across the AZ desert.

And many more examples.

But I digress, as you are correct, there is a process for amending.

recon1
    Yep

Disagree.

Good post. Absolutely agree with your first and last paragraph. Middle paragraph, I'm on the other side. I think it's an old document written in a time that was nothing like today. GMO's, cloning sheep, globalism, nuclear weapons, space odyssey, the internet and social media, fully auto rifles capable of firing 1000 rounds per minute, a national population of 300,000,000, Wall Street

Lets look at free speech. Where does free speech end and begin? We live in a different world today that present unique challenges, especially with a 24/7 news cycle and social media. Kids are killing themselves because of others right to "free speech".

The second amendment is viewed as either the personal right to gun owndership or collective rights of fun ownership. The courts have waffled on this over the years. Should we only have the right to own guns to protect the state? Against enemies both foreign and domestic, the problem is, the weapons me and you have access to would not hold up nor be affective in a war. A drone would most likely kill us before we knew what happened.

The fourth amendment has been under the microscope as drug rings are now shoving bags of crystal meth up hookers asses and paying them a hundred bucks to walk across the AZ desert.

And many more examples.

But I digress, as you are correct, there is a process for amending.
    I don't know man, your so close, but so far away in some ways.

Technological advancement has nothing to do with legal documents outlining your rights as a human being.

People need to grow thicker skin and that starts with parents. Remember growing up 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me' now kids get butt hurt if called fat, dumb or a racial epithete.
    Kids and grown ups are weak and feeble. I personally like to know who I'm dealing with and with all the PC today you and i will never know if we have a true racial psychopath on our hands.
    Stand in the street corner say all the racist words you want, if it offends someone then i think you have issues.
    You may think the liberal agenda is winning and your on the winning team, but i will guarantee you they hate you as much, we are simply not in that 3%
    Good-luck, maybe hope exist for you, who knows.

guitarjosh
    guitarjosh's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9448

That's why we have article 5. Would you like to enter into a contract with me where I can claim it is outdated and must be re-assessed tok eep up with current times, i.e. I get more favorable terms?

Regarding the 2nd amendment, the constitution is clear, it is the job of the congress to arm, organize, and discipline the militia. If they meant only militia, it would read, "the privilege of the militia members to borrow and bear arms", not the right of the people to keep and bear.

FilletMaster
    FilletMaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

As others have mentioned, drugs. Both legal and illegal. I'd say 99% of crime is committed because of street drugs.
    Premeditated shootings, I'd say 99% are by legal mind drugs.

We've known a long time that street drugs used in excess will mess up your life.

All you have to do is turn on the TV when they are pushing their legal mind drugs and hear the side effects.
    Suicidal tendencies. They won't put on TV that those suicide tendencies could result in others lives.

In order to save money, our congress has cut funding for mental health. Since then, we see shit on the news daily.

If you're mentally sick and want to kill people, you will use anything available. People kill people, just so happens
    they have a gun to do it with.

I think maybe congress needs to stop putting money into our over bloated defense budgets and bring back
    mental health funding. The FDA needs to better scrutinize the drugs put on the market for depression.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Do you think he is grieving right now, JJ?

I am sure some but he seems to have his own agenda and love the camera

The Kraken

He just lost his 24 year old daughter and you say he's grieving "some"

Unless you know specifics that he has an agenda, maybe you should try giving the guy the benefit of the doubt here

If you have specifics, and not just a conspiracy theory, please share them.

Otherwise, you're simply taking the easy road and making non-factual accusations and not backing them up.

Thats weak
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: The Giant

The Kraken

Is there any way to nominate a nomination?

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

There is NO Law that can be passed to keep weapons out of the hands of bad guys.

None.

Therefore, STOP trying to skrew around with the Constitution.

12 Last