tsimmns
    tsimmns's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1587

Halliburton

Does anyone here work for this company? If so how long did it take you to get hired on? I have put in millions of applications online through their website and all I get is not selected to move forward. I mean even for entry level jobs. I have over 8 years inspecting aircraft for mechanical failures and over 2 years working no the Avionics/Electronic side of things. I don't have a degree, just a high school diploma and about 3 military schools under my belt, how the heck can I not even be qualified for entry level. Is going to their doorstep in Houston a better option? My goal is to get offshore one day and I know the training I would get as an Electronic Technician with this company would maybe help me land that. Any suggestions or networking ideas?

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by tsimmns View Post
    Does anyone here work for this company? If so how long did it take you to get hired on? I have put in millions of applications online through their website and all I get is not selected to move forward. I mean even for entry level jobs. I have over 8 years inspecting aircraft for mechanical failures and over 2 years working no the Avionics/Electronic side of things. I don't have a degree, just a high school diploma and about 3 military schools under my belt, how the heck can I not even be qualified for entry level. Is going to their doorstep in Houston a better option? My goal is to get offshore one day and I know the training I would get as an Electronic Technician with this company would maybe help me land that. Any suggestions or networking ideas?
    Cheney not giving away any more money, all in house from here on out.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

It doesn't matter what you know, is you know homie.. Especially if you're a minority..

tsimmns

Not a minority, but you are right. That's why I'm wondering if anyone on here works for the company. I have heard there are a plethora of jobs in the ND area, but I'm not risky enough to drive up there without having one before I go, which is apparently what a of people are doing.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

The only thing that I can suggest besides networking is a complete overhaul of your resume and more importantly your cover letter. You can't apply to the same company 10 times with the same resume and expect to get an interview.

Break up text with bullet points detailing your accomplishments. If you've worked for the same company for a long time, it's best to describe your work as a list of four to six achievements.

Be specific about your qualifications. Prepare a cover letter that picks up 3 - 4 key qualifications listed in the job description and be very specific with regards to what you can offer pertaining directly to those qualifications.

Write a 40- to 50-word summary that includes three reasons someone should hire you. The summary should include three compelling reasons an employer would want you.

good luck to you!

tsimmns

Russian, sounds like I need to just pay you to write me a resume. Before now, I didn't have a cover letter. Just a basic resume listing work experience, education, and military experience.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Russian, sounds like I need to just pay you to write me a resume. Before now, I didn't have a cover letter. Just a basic resume listing work experience, education, and military experience.
    haha...nah no need to pay anyone - you can find plenty of great examples of cover letters online. You have the experience, so don't hide it from anyone - talk about it in your cover letter.

I've done plenty of hiring myself in the past and I can guarantee you that a hiring manager would always take a resume with CL over the one without it. When you see a CL attached to a resume it shows that a person took time to a least research what the job is all about and what the company is looking for.

CL doesn't have to be long - 2-3 paragraphs would do the trick.

tsimmns

Is it feasible to take one from the internet and just put your information in it? Using the sample word for word?

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Is it feasible to take one from the internet and just put your information in it? Using the sample word for word?
    always use a professional looking template, but change the wordage
    a hiring manager who has seen thousand of resumes and CLs could easily spot a generic cover letter that you can get online

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

...and don't be shy to talk about your accomplishments. Sell yourself the best you can. If you think that you were the best at what you did at your previous job -say so.

The better you sell- the faster you'll get the job that you want.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

Why would you wanna work for those war mongering dick cheney loving fuks anyway! That company is a piece of shit, believe me, your talents would be best suited elsewhere.

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

Quote Originally Posted by mikejamm View Post
    Why would you wanna work for those war mongering dick cheney loving fuks anyway! That company is a piece of shit, believe me, your talents would be best suited elsewhere.
    yeah i'm not a fan either. years ago after watching a special on how much business and the prices they were billing our government during the iraq war(s).
    F'n 50 bucks a pop every breakfast, lunch and dinner, for every soldier , that 150 a day for basically 3 glorified school lunches.
    Last edited by louisvillekid; 08-19-14 at 11:17 AM.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Not a minority, but you are right. That's why I'm wondering if anyone on here works for the company. I have heard there are a plethora of jobs in the ND area, but I'm not risky enough to drive up there without having one before I go, which is apparently what a of people are doing.
    What position are you looking to get on as? Halliburton is harder to do online if you're wanting fast work in the fields. Its one thing if you want admin or corporate work but the Bakken jobs are handled through the smaller held companies of them and the actual drilling companies. And you're right, if you want a guaranteed job you have to get out to Williston and attend the job fairs they hold....they will give you a letter of promise and then call you when a spot on a crew opens up. First time is hardest but once you get a project finished or laid off in between they shuttle you from location to location and its constant work.

jayfly
    jayfly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10713

do plenty of hiring myself and i rarely look at a cover letter. at the level of jobs you are looking for most cover letters are a couple paragraphs of the same bs over and over. just make sure your resume is perfect and if you have the experience they are looking for you will get a call.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by louisvillekid View Post
    yeah i'm not a fan either. years ago after watching a special on how much business and the prices they were billing our government during the iraq war(s).
    F'n 50 bucks a pop every breakfast, lunch and dinner, for every soldier , that 150 a day for basically 3 glorified school lunches.
    Hate to tell you LKid, but you would prolly get pretty upset if you knew the markup on everyday items you purchase every day. And if you want any service or quality in a retail situation, the price goes up.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    It doesn't matter what you know, is you know homie.. Especially if you're a minority..
    You're such the victim. Must be rough. Even after all that "lifting". It just doesn't go away does it?

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

Quote Originally Posted by louisvillekid View Post
    You're exactly right! Those halliburton bastards gouged and fuk'ed the American tax payer for every fuk'in dime they could get. And Cheney the crooked fuk'in corporate whore made sure they got the best fuk'in contracts to do it. Fuk'in right wing conservative assholes, nothing but a bunch of thieves is what they are!

tsimmns

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    What position are you looking to get on as? Halliburton is harder to do online if you're wanting fast work in the fields. Its one thing if you want admin or corporate work but the Bakken jobs are handled through the smaller held companies of them and the actual drilling companies. And you're right, if you want a guaranteed job you have to get out to Williston and attend the job fairs they hold....they will give you a letter of promise and then call you when a spot on a crew opens up. First time is hardest but once you get a project finished or laid off in between they shuttle you from location to location and its constant work.
    I'm looking for anything really. I just would love to get some oil and gas experience and hopefully one day land an offshore gig. I've made close to 30 dollars and hour before at 27 years old as and NDT inspector on aircraft. But that's about the max level you can get doing that. Although, not bad for a guy with no degree just training in NDT and an electronic background through the military. Might post my resume on here just for someone else to read through.

And while Halliburton might be corrupt, I have heard you can get some great training through them. Right now I'm even considering applying for oil work in Alaska. I guess my last resort would be working overseas like my father making 200k plus, but I hate the fact of being gone three months at a time when I can eventually make the same offshore being gone 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Might post my resume on here just for someone else to read through.
    make sure it doesn't have any of you personal info like, name, address, rooster size...etc

tsimmns

Heck no, that stuff will be marked out.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

something about your app is turning them off they dissed me as well but I was a new cdl driver....look at nabors as a way to get some experience shitty company but they pay well.

teaserpleaser

look into the divorce rate in the oil field if your young and single by all means work your ass off but those 16 hour days get old ...like I said try nabors and get your CDL even if you just want to be a rig hand I worked oil for 4 years in Texas, OK and so Cal like I said Nabors will train you and give you experience you have no idea how a CDL can open doors for you in the oil field good luck if you go to say oddessa or other parts of west texas like say Iraan texas they will house and take you in a heartbeat those little one stop oil towns that lack man power are a good way in good luck.... I just basically handed you a gold nugget of how to get into the oilfield don't get trapped though dude nothing worse than a broken down older righhand who has been making 80k+ for the last 20 years and has nothing to show for it driving a beater .... A lot of these dudes in the oilfield.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

There are plenty of jobs in ND but the problem is finding a place to live. The rent is sky-high. Some people live in trailers but in the ND winter, you don't want to be stuck in one of those.

teaserpleaser

Texas is a much better spot if you don't mind rookie cdl drivers, black ice, frozen Everything tweekers etc etc go to north Dakota you'll probably earn more money. was a pretty easy choice for me I don't like being Frozen coming from So cal.

tsimmns

So teaser get my cdl even if I'm wanting to eventually get a job as an electronic technician offshore? Or love to know more and maybe tomorrow I'll get my resume up on b here to have everyone critique it.

teaserpleaser

It's not that hard to get and is a plus on a resume I'm not sure as far as a electronic tech especially offshore or if it will help. Sounds like it would be tough to break into best advice I can give you is make the rounds door to door and shake hands you're just another face applying online. I got hired on my first stop in rural west texas with no experience after getting shut down by numerous firms with just an online app....oilfield hr gets a zillion online apps getting picked out of that odds aren't in your favor.

tsimmns

Teaser are you still in West TX working then? If so do you mind me asking what company you are working for? I have heard on another board that just getting your cdl permit and putting it on your resume will go a long way as well.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Why Halliburton? With your aviation experience, airports, airlines or small air fields locally? Want to move, Boeing in Wash state?

tsimmns

Rkelly, I guess the reason behind wanting to go to for Halliburton is the electronic experience and chance of landing an offshore job. I have had an aviation contract job with dyncorp before at a training base in Columbus ms before making 28 dollars and hour when I left. Cush job usually in an air conditioned building since the NDI materials have to stay a certain temperate. 40 hours a week made me about 55k a year. I guess the dream of landing an offshore job and making 150k a year has pealed my interest only working half a year and being home the rest. My father makes over 250k working in Iraq as a contractor doing QA for L3 but I don't want to be 55 having to go work overseas to have a decent retirement. 20 years of working offshore even averaging 100k a year leaves me with making over 2 million in my life. Not bad in my opinion.

tsimmns

And I'm not just open to Halliburton, I'm open to any oil and gas job to might lead to me working offshore on a rig. I have even begun searching jobs in Alaska.

teaserpleaser

Teaser are you still in West TX working then? If so do you mind me asking what company you are working for? I have heard on another board that just getting your cdl permit and putting it on your resume will go a long way as well.
    No I'm back in so cal I worked for nabors drilling was laid off some time ago that's why I say shitty company but a good starter firm they are known as a jump off in the industry because they hire people with no experience they work there and get trained gain experience then jump to a better firm. Door to door is the way to do it you can hit at least 20-30 places a day that was my plan but first stop offered housing and decent pay texas is a different world they are dying for help.

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

this puke makes me sick, stupid fuggin angry responses never knowing what the fack he is talking about. long time back this guy makes me sick. read once in a while you doof, make sure it's not from CNN,ABC,NBC,FOX, or Micor$oft. I dont try to fix stupid but it should be pointed out...these jerkovs should be ignored in favor of well informed people...there is plenty of sane people out there to talk to. I hate who mikejamm pretends to be on this forum.
    http://www.newsmax.com/US/Obama-admi.../13/id/536496/
    edit -> find --> halibutrton

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

shoulda had one of mikehjamms stupid ass posts as a quote.