Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Does anyone here run/ workout regulary?

Serious question. Had some health problems trying to get back into it slowly got to run for the first time today in a long time. Anyone have any small workout, cardio, some small reps that they like? need to change my routine.

hurricane1091
    hurricane1091's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6469

I do but I still have some beer chub since I like to eat and drink. Simply put if you aren't doing something (like bench, running, concentrated bi curls, incline bench) because it hurts or is hard then that means you're missing out.

hurricane1091

Today I did chest and tri. Incline bench with dumbells, decline bench, peck fly with dumb bells, and chest press machine with push-ups. For tri I did skull crushers, TRI push down, and some other thing I have no name for.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Best advice I could give is start out by focusing on cardio. Long, slow cardio. If you can, get a HR monitor and keep your HR between 140-150. Walk if you need to to keep your HR in range. This will build your aerobic capacity and improve overall conditioning. You should do this 4-5 times a week, about 45-60 minutes a day.

Then once you have a solid aerobic base, you can build upon it. Start adding in HIIT and weights.

But it all needs to start with aerobic conditioning.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

yes, try to run by amount of time first. just run 10 minutes one day. it only takes 2 weeks before you just feel lazy running 10 and 20 minutes and then you start running for half an hour and then you feel good enough to start doing whatever else, situps pushups weights

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Play basketball 3 times a week.....lift 3 days a week/shoot around for a little cardio

Can't stand running so do something I like for the workout....Maybe do something you like, but start doing slow and long jogs

hurricane1091

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Play basketball 3 times a week.....lift 3 days a week/shoot around for a little cardio

Can't stand running so do something I like for the workout
    What he said. I've been playing soccer and basketball after workouts. Running on the track is so boring. You can burn so many calories playing sports and not even realize it, it's amazing.

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell88 View Post
    Serious question. Had some health problems trying to get back into it slowly got to run for the first time today in a long time. Anyone have any small workout, cardio, some small reps that they like? need to change my routine.
    Get P90X and just do half of all their reps. It will destroy every muscle in your body. In a good way and has a great cardio effect.

Tony Williams
    Turquoise Jeep Records
    Tony Williams's Avatar Become A Pro!

Regularly as in I go to the gym two weeks straight and then turn into a lazy penetrate again

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Mitchell, my best advice for you (just to get the engine started and going again) would be to get on a stairclimber. Unfortunately, most guys knock it down considering it "homo." The reasons why I like the stairclimber....

1. Hit all key muscular areas of the legs to tone. Most guys don't even workout their lower body on a regular basis. So this helps. Plus, if you do have higher than normal body weight... weight is used to actually strengthen and build... for the first few cycles than tone. Especially the calf area. You will definitely feel it.

2. Running on a treadmill in my opinion puts extra stress on your back/tailbone area. Also, knees etc. I had back surgery when I was younger... I don't want any side effects... I want to keep my head in the game with close to zero pain possible. No treadmill for me.

3. You cardio is probably the most important factor when working out. It's an art if you think about it. The entire object... just like "Kracken" suggested... is to get that heart rate at a moderate level... but a steady level. Running to me fluctuates too much. How do you really know what your true heart rate is while running? Are you running fast enough?? Or too slow? I tend to keep my heart rate rather high... it's always around 163 for 46 minutes. When you set the machine on a "manual" routine... and set the speed... and use the same machine over and over again... you're teaching your body all the fundamentals to beat that machine. Beat that setting. You are training your engine in your own body. Getting that engine started... doing the routine. Make it fun. Get yourself an ipod or mp3 player and jam some tunes.

I love it when people say... but what if it starts feeling like it gets too easy? Like it's simple... you aren't doing a course.. you're doing manual mode. Easy answer... you're teaching your body to respond to the energy output. You want that heart rate at a steady rate.

Just like Kracken said... anything over 140 is what your're looking for. I like to push it... I want to see results. If you're around 155-160 bpm... and you're doing around 45 minutes on the stairclimber... you're burning around 1000 calories. Think about it.

If anyone's diet could subtract 4000 calories in it every 7 days... look how healthy America would be.

My advice is... get on a stairclimber. Shoot for 20 minutes at a manual speed that you know you can hit. Add a minute next session but keep the speed the same. Keep the speed the same until you reach 30 minutes. Once you hit 30 minutes... start increasing the Level or speed on the stairclimber. Continue to do this each time to keep it more challenging. Once you're close to maxing out on levels on the stairclimber... you then start increasing the time. 31 minutes, 32 minutes, 33 minutes. Until you find your break point. Mine is around 45 minutes. I simply am exhausted afterwards.

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

you want to cut some fat/lose weight, hop on that stairmaster like tms mentioned or set the treadmill on the highest incline... do 3min normal walk, 1min sprint as fast as you can possibly go...get your heartrate above 150/160 ... do this 3-4 times... you will burn twice as many calories in half the time of going 1 pace...(works for either machine you choose)

if you want to build some muscle, start eatingclean and like a fukkin horse and lifting heavy shit... do light cardio 15-20min 2-3 days a week and never on leg day...

working out aint hard...just gotta get your ass in there

hurricane1091

Try the treadmil on 15% (max) incline at 3.0 mph (probably slower if you are out of shape, faster if you aren't) for 10-20 minutes. It sounds easy but it's hard.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Lot of square responses in here

Just find a nympho chick

Switch up positions:

Doggy style squat position for your legs, back, and biceps

Her on top for abdominals

Missionary for chest and triceps

All of these work cardio and much easier mentally than jogging
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

hurricane1091

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Lot of square responses in here

Just find a nympho chick

Switch up positions:

Doggy style squat position for your legs, back, and biceps

Her on top for abdominals

Missionary for chest and triceps

All of these work cardio and much easier mentally than jogging
    Tailing this play large.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

every morning starts off with 20mins of pelvic thrust on top of the old lady

then jerk off hardcore 8x a day. 4 with right hand then 4 leftie

before bed another 10-15 min of pelvic thrust

thats the only workout you need

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Look into that Couch to 5k routine. It's a good overall barometer and built for anyone who hasn't been running for awhile. If you've over 25 and as you stated, had some issues, do NOT start out trying to run a ton immediately because you'll kill your shins and other things. DO little bits at a time mix in run/walk intervals and you'll be fine.

If you're going for overall health and not trying to just get ripped for a beach trip or some other shirt off flexing, just start with body weight exercises and go hard at them you'll lose weight and tone up in a couple weeks.

Biggest thing though is diet, no matter the goal, eating for it and getting enough sleep works wonders.

Best of luck!

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Have gotten up to about a 45min run a day. Like Kraken said I do have to watch my heart rate but docs said that no issues yesterday. Im not doing it because I am out of shape, Im not ripped by any means but im in the normal range for my body index thing. I climb trees for work was in and out of the hospital for a while and need something just to get back into the swing of things. I'll tell you though that I cant believe how f'n tough it was for the first couple days. Felt like I was going to fall over. I also changed my diet. I had to and thought it was going to suck because I can only eat healthy and its nice go out to dinner every once in a while. Anyone ever do those kettle ball workouts that you just do in your house? My doctor recommended that I got a couple of them but haven't used them yet. Thanks for all the other replies guys.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I've never tried it but I've heard of the kettlebell workout. Basically designed just to flex some muscles here and there... keep them going for toning. Nothing wrong with that. If it makes you feel more comfortable doing that... go right ahead. Anything is helpful. I'm sure you can find a kettle ball workout chart online somewhere that will show you all the different routines.
    Last edited by TheMoneyShot; 07-03-14 at 05:30 AM.

Joe Dogs
    Joe Dogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 593

Check out http://bodybuilding.com ,Lots of good free training advice and cardio tips from some of the best trainers in the busness.

Remember, each journey is started with a single foot step.

Good Luck obtaining your goals.

Libanese
    Libanese's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Best advice I could give is start out by focusing on cardio. Long, slow cardio. If you can, get a HR monitor and keep your HR between 140-150. Walk if you need to to keep your HR in range. This will build your aerobic capacity and improve overall conditioning. You should do this 4-5 times a week, about 45-60 minutes a day.

Then once you have a solid aerobic base, you can build upon it. Start adding in HIIT and weights.

But it all needs to start with aerobic conditioning.

This pretty much sums it up.

I would recommend working in your core though through various stretching and resistance exercises as well. You can do these things without causing extreme strain on your muscles and you will harbor weight loss faster and produce lean muscle.

Remember to switch up your cardio exercises because your body will hit plateaus if you do the same one all the time.

If you do bicycling, remember to wear clothes that breathe. You can get hemmoroids EASY if you bike to much as well.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

If you wanna get toned and probably feel the sorest youve ever felt, do Corey gregory's musclepharm workouts. Just Google it.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    If you wanna get toned and probably feel the sorest youve ever felt, do Corey gregory's musclepharm workouts. Just Google it.
    I lift 3 times a week, and do intense cardio and abs 3 times a week.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

anybody ever heard of 9 round?

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

I go running about 4 miles 3 or 4 times a week. I'd go everyday if I had the time. I use the elliptical machine mostly, my knees are already shot so it helps with the pressure. If you're looking to start out slowly it's a ton easier on the body than a treadmill and obviously solid ground.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

good thread

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

Every week for a year or so now. Longest I've gone since high school.

It's hell. I don't recommend it. I may feel better technically, but for the amount of work put in, I can feel better by bellying up at a local pub.

Pickup games of basketball on the otherhand. Hell yes. Recommended highly.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

I need to start working out.... Not overweight but need to do more exercise.
    Used to play tennis religiously until i was 22ish......

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

I run about 20-25mi per week

key is to have easy days and get a heart rate monitor. Good luck pal

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by RubberKettle View Post
    I run about 20-25mi per week

key is to have easy days and get a heart rate monitor. Good luck pal
    and some comfy running shoes i would imagine.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Forget cardio workout, you have to eat healthy. Humans are not meant to do do anything repetitively for long periods of time. Look at all the malnourished joggers out there, most have back problems also from jogging. I work a job where I walk a LOT, up to 8 hours a day, typically 6 hours nonstop. Makes little difference compared to eating well.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Had a tough injury after football...bought a recumbent bike and pulled it in front of the tv and played play station. An hour would fly by. One of the best ideas I've ever had, still so it to this day.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14404

Yes there are.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Alright mitch, you've got some good advice in here. So how ya doing? Started running yet?

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I do HIIT about 3 times a week. It allows me to pretty much eat and drink what I want. I don't recommend starting off doing this out of shape though.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

If youre really out of shape just start walking. 1 hour a day for 4 months. It will work and you will become more invested each week. Going over the 1 hour and becoming more motivated.

Take your dog, take your wife do whatever. Just get out and move man!

12 Last