Libanese
    Libanese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Proper footwear is key.

I know that sounds obvious, but I'm surprised how many people I see begin a form of exercise in improper sneakers.

Perfect example, I saw someone jogging in basketball high tops. They were the $140 Jordan's.

Not the best choice.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

I managed a fast walk for like 40 mins, then i ran and managed 7 fukking mins.
    Now i wake up in PAIN, feet killing me, calves keep cramping..... am i supposed to rest, or keep walking/run?
    damn, i used to play 5 set tennis matches
    fukking internet..

Libanese

Quote Originally Posted by onemoregoal View Post
    Now i wake up in PAIN, feet killing me, calves keep cramping..... am i supposed to rest, or keep walking/run?
    fukking internet..
    Are we talking sharp pain or a full pain?

Once again, what footwear are you wearing?

Are you over 35 and do you take any supplements that have
    Chondroitin?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by Libanese View Post
    Proper footwear is key.

I know that sounds obvious, but I'm surprised how many people I see begin a form of exercise in improper sneakers.

Perfect example, I saw someone jogging in basketball high tops. They were the $140 Jordan's.

Not the best choice.
    No shoes seem to keep some part of my lower body from hurting.

Libanese

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    No shoes seem to keep some part of my lower body from hurting.
    I hear ya. Not saying it will completely negate the pain, but it quite possibly will reduce it.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack

Are we talking sharp pain or a full pain?

Once again, what footwear are you wearing?

Are you over 35 and do you take any supplements that have
    Chondroitin?
    31 age, random nike trainers... feet are sore, that doesnt matter.
    calves cramp when i put force on toes and heel is off the ground......
    i think usa call cramp something else.... horse or some shit.

Libanese

Could be shin splints.

Obviously, the more you weigh the more apt pain will come from running at the beginning.

I recommend going slow and building up tolerance. Pretty simple proposition, but one that many people fail to heed when they first get back into exercise.

Congrats on getting out there and exercising. Don't let this pain deter you. Keep busting your ass and eventually you will be kicking ass!

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4931

Certified strength and conditioning coach. My first point is to keep your diet as good as you can within reason and make sure you get at least 2000 calories a day. Second is do something you enjoy so that you will workout regularly. Lastly please avoid HIIT training I have seen many athletes trained under it and they are nothing to brag about.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    Certified strength and conditioning coach. My first point is to keep your diet as good as you can within reason and make sure you get at least 2000 calories a day. Second is do something you enjoy so that you will workout regularly. Lastly please avoid HIIT training I have seen many athletes trained under it and they are nothing to brag about.
    What do you think of p90x? I did it for a couple of years and swear by it. Recently I tried p90x3 to save time with 30 minute exercises. It really didn't work for me.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Quote Originally Posted by onemoregoal View Post
    fukking internet..
    it gets easier
    rest one day and do it again

Libanese

Like most of your points.

As far as caloric intake goes, all depends on the size and height of a person.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    What do you think of p90x? I did it for a couple of years and swear by it. Recently I tried p90x3 to save time with 30 minute exercises. It really didn't work for me.
    Best trainer for yourself is yourself if you like it and get results keep it up until progress stops or staleness occurs.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO

Like most of your points.

As far as caloric intake goes, all depends on the size and height of a person.
    Agree my point is whether your are trying to lose weight or gain weight keep your calorie intake up as much as possible. This is because the healthy body always wants to remain in homeostasis so no huge calorie reduction or excess work in the long run.

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack

im all good now, going for a tennis match 2mor.
    I feel ALIVE!
    I feel an addiction coming on, like most gamblers = addictive personality

Libanese

Agree my point is whether your are trying to lose weight or gain weight keep your calorie intake up as much as possible. This is because the healthy body always wants to remain in homeostasis so no huge calorie reduction or excess work in the long run.
    Oh I agree that you shouldn't drastically decrease your caloric intake. No doubt.
    Points Awarded:

edawg gave Libanese 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I used to be into bodybuilding back in my college days but now I just workout to stay in shape. I will give you a few tips.

I played sports all throughout high school (baseball, basketball, football) so we lifted weights and I had an athletic build. When I started college I got intrigued by bodybuilding. My first routine looked something like this:

Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis
    off
    Legs
    Arms/Abs
    Off
    Off

You will see may variations of this "split" work out in which you work out each part of your body once a week and "kill it". This workout sucked for me when I started and I saw little gains. It's also extremely easy to skip leg day which I will get to in a minute.

After a lot of research and consulting with some division 1 football players I developed a new routine that increased my strength, strengthened my core, and helped me to get cut. What's surprising here is that you do less sets per body part but you hit each body part "twice" a week and not "once" a week like many of these bodybuilding routines recommend

Upper Body (Heavy)
    Lower Body (light)
    off
    Upper Body (light)
    Lower Body (Heavy)
    off
    off

You have two days a week in which you go heavy with less reps and two days a week in which you go lighter with more reps. Don't be fooled on the "light" days. These days were always hard for me and really intense. Doing sets of 10-15 was really tiring compared to doing sets of 6-8 with heavier weights.

By spacing out the "Heavy" days you give your central nervous system time to recover and by varying reps and weight loads you stimulate both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers.

After I stuck to this for three months I was benching over 315 and squatting over 500 lbs. You could see my abs and I was a lot leaner. When I did the "bodybuilding" split hitting body parts once a week I could never get ride of some tummy fat. I was never overweight but there was always this layer I couldn't get rid of.

To be cut and have abs is dependent on diet and cardio.

This is the portion people have the most problem with. Don't eat sweets, fried food, fast food, or pop. Run at least three times a week. It's easier said than done but works. When I was really cut I was eating eggs, oatmeal, tuna, fish, turkey, potatoes, and drinking water religiously. It sucks but it works. Most people can't stick to this.

As for the upper/lower body workout I recommended, you need to build it off what I call core excercises.

- Bench Press (barbell no machine)
    - Dips
    - Deadlifts
    - Pull ups
    - Front Squats
    - Squats

Most people don't like to do squats or deadlifts but I can tell you from experience this along with diet and cardio will develope your abs way faster than doing crunches. You abs are stabilizer muscles used in both excercises.

I could get a lot more detailed if anyone has questions. Your body is a science and it adapts to things so you have to constantly change things up.

It's really about quality of your workout more than it is volume.

As for supplements, don't waste your money unless it's vitamins or protein. It's all crap and often times they package it too look like a steroid. As for steroids, I woudn't recommend them until you have a few years under your belt and your workout routine and diet are in check. Once you get to that point, the once a week bodybuilding split is more effective but most people will never get to this point.
    Last edited by BigDofBA; 07-13-14 at 03:03 PM.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Used to, now I mostly read and do crossword puzzles.

Poppa K
    Poppa K's Avatar Become A Pro!

Google " Couch to 5k"

Good luck...

First 12