TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Sump Pump Nightmare Stories - Who Invented This Crap?

Been a homeowner for 7 years with these suckers. For the people who don't know what I'm talking about... wait until you rent or buy a home with one. For the ones who have one... unreal the shi# that can go down with these things.

Here is a list of the things that has happened and my expenses:

1 Brand New - Main Pump $250.00
    1 Brand New - Backup Pump W/Battery Charger $350.00
    1 Brand New - Battery W/Battery Acid $144.00

That's just to start... you feel secure yet? Nope.

1.5 Years... New Battery goes dead. Not chargeable. Corrupt.

Buy New Battery With Acid $144.00

2 Years Battery Goes Dead... Another Battery With Acid $144.00

3 Years Later... Main Pump Goes Dead... New Pump Better HP & Labor $350.00

6 Years Later Another Battery Problem... Switched to different battery company $90.00

6.5 Years Later Main Pump Switch Fails - Water all over your finished basement. $38.00 New switch!

Constant calling back to pump manufacturer and surfing through YouTube videos.. PRICELESS!!!

Add it all up. I just now watched a Bob Villa YouTube Video on how he has 3 Sump pumps for one home. 1 Main pump 1 Main/backup pump and 1 Backup pump.

Spent over $1,500 + just to pump water out of a hole in my basement. Get fukking real!

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

yeah it is some shit. Don't know how it is your area but this guy contracted through the state comes out once a year and checks everything to make sure I have everything required and in working order. Gotta have em tho, even if it wasn't required, too risky to go without.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

had a main switch fail on me like you and my basement flooded. did you test the battery every once in a while and check the water levels? used to have problems with the basement watch dog brand. i suggest an automatic zoeller pump, they are the best. they don't have any extra switches or anything, just plug in one 3 prong power cord and it automatically detects the water level and turns on. you can install it yourself. i have a generator which automatically kicks on and extra pumps, never have a problem or need for backup battery. zoeller pumps are solid and reliable according to my trusted plumber. can get one for $150-$300

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    yeah it is some shit. Don't know how it is your area but this guy contracted through the state comes out once a year and checks everything to make sure I have everything required and in working order. Gotta have em tho, even if it wasn't required, too risky to go without.
    That's kind of cool that you have a guy that comes out once a year and does everything... but what happens when something just mysteriously fails? Like... between the 12 months from last checkup? Things just go bad... it's ridiculous. I mean... we place a pump submerged in water and it's not going to have a health lifespan lol I think it absolutely sucks. I've learned quite a lot now... and do my own repairs. It's just another pain in the ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectGrape View Post
    had a main switch fail on me like you and my basement flooded. did you test the battery every once in a while and check the water levels? used to have problems with the basement watch dog brand. i suggest an automatic zoeller pump, they are the best. they don't have any extra switches or anything, just plug in one 3 prong power cord and it automatically detects the water level and turns on. you can install it yourself. i have a generator which automatically kicks on and extra pumps, never have a problem or need for backup battery. zoeller pumps are solid and reliable according to my trusted plumber. can get one for $150-$300

Here's the situation. This is what I don't understand. The emergency (2nd pump) never came on. Computer board never indicated a trip. There is a small hole about 12 feet from the sump pump pit.... and it's by my furnace. My A/C condensation runs through it. I've asked everyone why the hell this small hole is tied in with my sump pump? But it seems like it's the case... the water that backed up.... backed up from this hole near furnace... not the big sump pump hole. Water never reached emergency levels. Exactly why... I'm stumped.

I replaced main float switch at around Noon today and adjusted emergency float switch. I have no idea what the hell happened.

As far as the Basement Watchdog batteries are.... they are basically garbage. You have to babysit them like a 2 year old. Then, be careful because the Basement Watchdog computer board can malfunction and start over charging your backup battery. Then, you lose the lifespan of your backup battery. I called Glentronics in Illinois... talked with a tech... he told me my computer board needed to be calibrated again. I sent it in... they shipped it back... works better than before but... I went with a new Marine Battery now... and... the Marine battery isn't the answer either... I love how on the box... they claim your backup unit can push out 2000-2500 gallons of water on one full battery after a power outage. Bullsh#$. You're lucky you have 3 pumps off of your backup in a power outage.

Your best bet is... if your power ever goes out.... have a generator... run a long extension cord to your basement to your generator and let it run off of that. It's honestly the only solution. I've heard things about the new GEL Batteries on Amazon.com but for $250.00 a battery.... wow.... some steep change right there.

All I know is... my sump pit fills up within 30 seconds after a flush. From what people have told me... that's way too fast. I live on highly saturated land. It sucks. People told me... they built all these new homes on swamp land. A nightmare if you have a finished basement. Good Luck.

TheMoneyShot

Discovered Sump Pump failure at around 9:30 AM this morning... it's now 9:49 PM Eastern. Pulling up carpet... pulling up padding... dehumidifier in place... 3 fans blowing in select areas... cut my elbow and bled on carpet... I'm loving life right about now. How about you? So you want to own a home with a sump pump? Won't ever do that again.