AchillesTG
    AchillesTG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6000

Pay It Off Or Go Broke!

Just a word to the wise!

My Father and Grandfather told me over and over, "Have a house paid for before you retire". They are both long gone, but I actually listened to them.

I am 53 and was a Server Engineer at Dell, so I had the money to payoff the house and our cars. The wife and I have had no debt for 13yrs. When I got laid off, we could have lost everything (I make half then what is used to make), if things were not paid for.

So, you younger people, I know it is hard to get a job, but do everything you can to get setup for later in life.
    Life and the economy will throw you plenty of curves along the way, but you will make it with good planning!

Not many young people realize, they will have to take care of their parents when they get older.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Nothing I regret more than not buying a house when I had the money to. Instead I gambled and blew it up my nose.

z-doggie
    yo dog ,,i am the ish...
    z-doggie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1981

good point...

But I heard that to pay it off is not always best...

It can be used as a big tax write off....

AchillesTG

Quote Originally Posted by z-doggie View Post
    good point...

But I heard that to pay it off is not always best...

It can be used as a big tax write off....
    I made double and triple payments and paid it off in 10 yrs. I bought it for $120,000 and is now selling for $164,000. I thought I might lose money on a house and land with the recession, but so many people are moving to Austin, real estate is getting high now.

We are at the end of a cul-de-sac with the creek behind us.
    Last edited by SBRAdmin3; 06-21-14 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Link Not Working - Removed-)

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2786

Nice pad, bro!......thanks for sharing!...

AchillesTG

When I bought the house, there was just a concrete step going down to the yard. I built a really nice deck, while I was Laid Off.

AchillesTG

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Nothing I regret more than not buying a house when I had the money to. Instead I gambled and blew it up my nose.
    I am not sure how old you are Cuse, but you still have chances!
    I had been thru 3 recessions and had to start my career over each time.

My new Company said I went way above and beyond the call of duty, so they gave me a 48 cent raise, even though I am on salary.

I was really embarrassed when I paid taxes and saw how much little I make now. But when you are 53, you are very happy to have any job at all!
    Last edited by AchillesTG; 03-07-14 at 10:28 PM.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Your father and grandfather are wise men with very good advice. Thanks for sharing.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesTG View Post
    I am not sure how old you are Cuse, but you still have chances!
    I had been thru 3 recessions and had to start my career over each time.

My new Company said I went way above and beyond the call of duty, so they gave me a 48 cent raise, even though I am on salary.

I was really embarrassed when I paid taxes and saw how much little I make now. But when you are 53, you are very happy to have any job at all!
    Yeah, still young. About to turn 26 but not sure I learned my lesson. Gonna use financial aid loan to gamble but I can't help it (could but I won't), it's what I do. Maybe I'll change by 30.

Beautiful house you got there man.