Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Anybody here in the Trucking Business?

I heard there is big money in hauling freight

dbartinbwgc
    dbartinbwgc's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21563

Yes and no.
    If you're looking to work for someone or yourself.
    If you're going to work for someone You get better money
    driving LTL freight then OTR and you are home daily.
    If you're looking to work for yourself.
    It cost a lot to run big rigs. Truck payment, Fuel, taxes, maintenance, Licensing, etc.
    But you can make real good money at it.
    The key is finding freight. That keeps you full and moving.
    You might get freight going from
    Texas to Idaho and think great pay for 1300+ miles
    but then you drive free(deadhead) 1,2,or 500 miles to get next load.
    Wasting fuel and time.
    Not to mention depending where you live you might not see home
    for several weeks or longer.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

It costs about 6k to get certified and licensed, but you have jobs to choose from when you graduate.
    That 6k could be financed and they train you well.

If you don't mind listening to a bunch of dumb hicks on the CB, ok by yourself for long periods or
    being put with a relief driver who smells bad, go for it.

I don't have experience, just what I'm told. If you get paid by the mile, you aren't getting paid stuck
    in traffic. If you have an accident, you are probably done. I hear about 50k to start to about 75k at the
    upper end.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

word a friend of mine said you can buy an 18 wheeler for 20K and he said its easy as hell find loads that need moving

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Bear you should do it. My neighbor is a trucker and he always talks about the big haul and lots of cash

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Bear you should do it. My neighbor is a trucker and he always talks about the big haul and lots of cash
    i dont want to be a truck driver i just want to own a truck and hire a driver to haul freight and i will just pay him by the mile

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

How would you know what's good pay for a lane?

How would you know if your driver is running legal?

How would you know if your company is compliant?

Lots of things involved in getting your authority.

If you haven't been involved in Trucking or have a mentor that knows the business you are asking for trouble.

Case in point
    Explain the 14 hour rule and 70 hour rule to me.....
    If you don't know without googling....you wouldn't know if your driver is running legal and without knowing these rules you couldn't dispatch him properly

How would you know if

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trucking is quite complicated. Fines for tickets are double. Driver would likely need a lawyer if/when he gets ticketed. You can get a ticket for a million different things driving any commercial vehicle (I own an Isuzu).

Constant regs and taxes created everyday for trucking. Big outfits pass on these costs. Consumers pay them in higher cost of living exepenses(food, etc).

The stuff to have to follow on a daily basis owning a rig is insane.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Rangers View Post
    How would you know what's good pay for a lane?

How would you know if your driver is running legal?

How would you know if your company is compliant?

Lots of things involved in getting your authority.

If you haven't been involved in Trucking or have a mentor that knows the business you are asking for trouble.

Case in point
    Explain the 14 hour rule and 70 hour rule to me.....
    If you don't know without googling....you wouldn't know if your driver is running legal and without knowing these rules you couldn't dispatch him properly

How would you know if
    my boy says he knows all this stuff and can be a partner. He's been working in sales for moving companys and in factoring for Truck drivers to help the truck drivers get paid immediately instead of waiting 45 days and they have to pay him like a small percentage or something.. i dont know all the details yet we only spoke about it briefly but he was showing me websites of distributors and different trucking boards where it was showing freight that needed to be moved etc... he claims there is so much freight out there that there is plenty of work for everyone.

i was just wondering what you guys thought of the industry..i dont know if i am cut out to be an actual driver though. I kinda hate driving unless i have to be somewhere

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Have friends and fam in trucking. Not as easy as it sounds, they work long hours. Tons of insurance, fees, maintenance on the truck etc. Money can be good but like all businesses it has its upsides as well as the downsides and ups and downs on busy times

Let's Go Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    my boy says he knows all this stuff and can be a partner. He's been working in sales for moving companys and in factoring for Truck drivers to help the truck drivers get paid immediately instead of waiting 45 days and they have to pay him like a small percentage or something.. i dont know all the details yet we only spoke about it briefly but he was showing me websites of distributors and different trucking boards where it was showing freight that needed to be moved etc... he claims there is so much freight out there that there is plenty of work for everyone.

i was just wondering what you guys thought of the industry..i dont know if i am cut out to be an actual driver though. I kinda hate driving unless i have to be somewhere
    My initial questions

1. what kind of truck do you have / are you looking to get

2. what have you projected as your cost per mile to run the truck

3. how much are those lanes paying that you are seeing

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    Trucking is quite complicated. Fines for tickets are double. Driver would likely need a lawyer if/when he gets ticketed. You can get a ticket for a million different things driving any commercial vehicle (I own an Isuzu).

Constant regs and taxes created everyday for trucking. Big outfits pass on these costs. Consumers pay them in higher cost of living exepenses(food, etc).

The stuff to have to follow on a daily basis owning a rig is insane.

No wonder Turd is pissed off all the time. Of course he probably welcomes the regulations/taxes, so....

paw
    paw's Avatar Become A Pro!

Trucking isn't as easy as it seems. Hell even the Lot Lizards are charging more Nowadays......................

I/O

Sounds like he's a middle man and possibly a hustler. And you aren't sure how he operates. Stay clear.

Let's Go Rangers

Factoring company basically buys your invoices and pays you within 24 hours.

Generally their fee is 1.5% to 5%.
    They generally "hold" 10% and then after the broker pays they "rebate" the rest...
    ( 5%-8.5% ) whatever your deal is.

DO NOT just go with any factoring company...
    Do research

AFS out of SD is reputable
    http://www.assistfinancialservices.com

allabout the $$$
    Update your status
    allabout the $$$'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26835

if you are looking to buy a route look into fedex ground/ home delivery a lot of money to be made sitting at home while people are driving for you

jds07v
    jds07v's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 388

My dad and my brother both own/operate their small trucking businesses. They were hauling potatoes from Canada/upstate NY to the potato chip plants in southern tier NY and PA. Think Lay's, Weis, Utz ect. Tons of paperwork involved to be able to clear customs from Canada to US, and vice versa. Usually did about 5 round trips per week. Good $, but lots of hassle. Long days, home 2 days a week. Most of those two days spent maintaining their truck/trailer. On top of that, broker taking 5-10% for booking their loads for them.

Now, they have started doing more local stuff. Hauling grain for the local farmers, and booking a second load near drop off site to come back to the area. Can haul some sort of grain across upstate NY or to PA, then load coal, salt, lime or some other junk back from there to within 30 miles of home. Can be home daily, which is nice since my brother has a one year old daughter. No broker, more $, less miles on truck, less $ burnt in fuel. Have to be on phones quite a bit to secure loads both ways so they are not deadheading (driving back home with empty trailer)

Works well for them, never could do it myself though

I/O

Quote Originally Posted by jds07v View Post
    My dad and my brother both own/operate their small trucking businesses. They were hauling potatoes from Canada/upstate NY to the potato chip plants in southern tier NY and PA. Think Lay's, Weis, Utz ect. Tons of paperwork involved to be able to clear customs from Canada to US, and vice versa. Usually did about 5 round trips per week. Good $, but lots of hassle. Long days, home 2 days a week. Most of those two days spent maintaining their truck/trailer. On top of that, broker taking 5-10% for booking their loads for them.

Now, they have started doing more local stuff. Hauling grain for the local farmers, and booking a second load near drop off site to come back to the area. Can haul some sort of grain across upstate NY or to PA, then load coal, salt, lime or some other junk back from there to within 30 miles of home. Can be home daily, which is nice since my brother has a one year old daughter. No broker, more $, less miles on truck, less $ burnt in fuel. Have to be on phones quite a bit to secure loads both ways so they are not deadheading (driving back home with empty trailer)

Works well for them, never could do it myself though
    On a side note....Frito Lay owns all their own potato farms. Pretty sure they are the only company. Product is always consistent. Price fluctuations, weather, product quality do not affect that monster as it does other companies. That company is a gold mine. They paid Pepsi's bills for decades.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Bear you've asked about the trucking business and the acting business. Are you auditioning for Over the Top II?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I drive a truck for a living. Toughest job in the world especially when you love to sleep like I do.

TheCentaur

I did tax returns for a lot of truck drivers. Seemed like their health was awful and they had tons of expenses so that they didn't net much, unless they were making them up

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    Bear you've asked about the trucking business and the acting business. Are you auditioning for Over the Top II?
    lol what is that?

nah man my friend has been talking up the trucking business saying its easy money but he is not the most reliable guy in the world just trying to get some other opinions

Let's Go Rangers

I did tax returns for a lot of truck drivers. Seemed like their health was awful and they had tons of expenses so that they didn't net much, unless they were making them up
    How much per day per diem were they claiming.

I believe last year the deductible was $52 a day.

Many OTR drivers are 3 weeks out, 3 days home.

That's about 300 days on the road.
    $15,600 per diem right off the top.

Nice detection and no meticulous record keeping / receipts. ...logbooks show time away from home

Let's Go Rangers

lol what is that?

nah man my friend has been talking up the trucking business saying its easy money but he is not the most reliable guy in the world just trying to get some other opinions
    See post 11

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Rangers View Post
    How much per day per diem were they claiming.

I believe last year the deductible was $52 a day.

Many OTR drivers are 3 weeks out, 3 days home.

That's about 300 days on the road.
    $15,600 per diem right off the top.

Nice detection and no meticulous record keeping / receipts. ...logbooks show time away from home
    I don't remember what the per diem was at the time, but along with that it seems like the fuel costs and truck repairs/upkeep always ate away most or all the profits. They hardly ever had receipts though so all i could do was reconstruct so like I said it depends on how honest they were being

Let's Go Rangers

I don't remember what the per diem was at the time, but along with that it seems like the fuel costs and truck repairs/upkeep always ate away most or all the profits. They hardly ever had receipts though so all i could do was reconstruct so like I said it depends on how honest they were being
    The good thing about per diem is you aren't required to keep recipes according to IRS.

Most brokers offer FSC ( fuel surcharges ) as the fuel goes up