biff
    dead
    biff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

where do you draw the line when to quit?

when you start using money you do not have?
    when you hurt others?
    when you do not even use your own own gambling advice you give others?
    when you do no capping and just bet the earliest game just for action?

i fit all of those and more. i ask advice here and people give me winners and i ignore them. for the last past 2 weeks i have used my card so much i had to call the bank to allow it to go through. i'm about to reach the limit of monthly card transactions. it's a cycle that will not end. i go for longshot parlays that have no chance of winning and reload over and over.

i quit for a year. it meant i could no longer watch sports as that was a trigger. what put me back in this hell was a free sports betting site. i lied to myself it was not like the real thing. when my itch was no longer scratched i went back to offshore again.

i know i will be told to "man up" and i have been here long enough to see these kind of topics regularly. not really looking for answers as i know what i have to do. just trying to make myself talk about my problem more hoping it will give me a kick in the ass.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is the worst place by far to ask for advice when everyone here is a full blown degenerate.......
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: emoney

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1736

I am sorry for you biff, we all go through that phase sometimes.
    all I can say is lay off the parlays until you get a roll back. Just bet a single game here and there. Better to go slow for a week or two then to go broke. Good luck, pal

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1736

Also use other sights than this one. Like covers and get others opinion as well

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

When I find myself calling my gf a fat fuking cow because OK St. gives up 4 TD's in the 4th Q..That's when I know it's football season.

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

Quote Originally Posted by biff View Post
    when you hurt others?

i fit all of those and more. i ask advice here and people give me winners and i ignore them. for the last past 2 weeks i have used my card so much i had to call the bank to allow it to go through. i'm about to reach the limit of monthly card transactions. it's a cycle that will not end. i go for longshot parlays that have no chance of winning and reload over and over.

i quit for a year. it meant i could no longer watch sports as that was a trigger. what put me back in this hell was a free sports betting site. i lied to myself it was not like the real thing. when my itch was no longer scratched i went back to offshore again.

i know i will be told to "man up" and i have been here long enough to see these kind of topics regularly. not really looking for answers as i know what i have to do. just trying to make myself talk about my problem more hoping it will give me a kick in the ass.
    Good job pal. You shouldn't be telling us to get that kick in the arse though.

You should be talking to your loved ones and those you are hurting by gambling. It is, like a lot of vices, easier if you can tell the people you are worried about letting down about the problem. Will you have too much pride or will you secretly continue gambling?

You know what needs to be done. Get on with it.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

I live in Vegas and work on the strip, so I know a lot of people personally that have full-blown gambling addiction. The obvious route is to seek help, which is widely available just about anywhere. But....

Something else I noticed is that most of these guys I know have very little to look forward to, or what they should be looking forward to (family) has gone south, and they're drinking to run away from it, and gambling here just goes hand-in-hand with that. Find something, anything, that you can see yourself getting excited about or looking forward to in the future. Every one of us has multiple things we're at the very least intrigued by. I like to cook when I'm feeling calm, and when I'm amped up I like to go to the gym and box and train with other people close to my size if they're there and up for it, and if I'm too lazy for that I'll sit around and watch Sugar Ray Leonard or Bernard Hopkins videos and try to take away what I can from them. I feel like I could turn to these things if I was trying to get over something like that. Everyone I know pretty much has something as their go-to that doesn't involve gambling, drugs, or booze -- things like biking, guitar, running, working on cars, shooting guns, chasing tail, collecting, MMORPGs, trying to look as fit as possible, etc. Religion can come into play here too in certain cases, though it's definitely not for everyone. It just feels great to go out and get better at something little by little.

You're never going to be a successful gambler, even if you have a few tricks up your sleeve, you've done well in the past, blah blah blah -- aint happening. Seriously, there's like 20 people that can claim real sustainable success with sportsbetting, you might as well try to join the NBA. You can however become really awesome at something else, which can make it pretty easy to say good-by to the old lifestyle.

If life sucks at the moment, and there's only one thing that makes you happy (betting), well shit, that's what you're gonna do. On the other hand, if you have real options on what to go out and do at any given time, then it can be a lot easier. Tim Ferriss said that the opposite of happiness isn't sadness, it's boredom. I believe it. So that sums up my one real piece of advice: Set shit up to where you're almost never bored. Watch what happens.

And while you're at it, kill your access. Throw away your router and disable internet on your phone, or at the very least get all your gambling sites blocked. Make it so you couldn't go back even if you wanted to.

Hope any of this helps.
    Last edited by Ralphie Halves; 09-09-13 at 07:23 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: onemoregoal, and teaserpleaser

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Good advice Ralph.

Op has a psychological condition that can be controlled by a pill. Go see a doctor. He might commit you to get your meds
    right, but it's only a few days.

Stay busy. Join a church or volunteer. Both will keep you busy. If all else fails, you know that number, call it.

I thank god, I'm not like that. If I win, I quit. If I lose my set amount, I quit. That day wasn't my day, I'll get 'em next time.

Betting aimlessly is a disaster waiting to happen. Find a system that you know works. Stick to it. Eventually, you will
    come out ahead. John Morrison's threads are money in the bank. He uses a system.

GL

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

its very simple.

Pay your bills. Do not get a loan to bet more like JJ suggest.

After you have paid your bills and provided for your family etc...

then whats left bet if you want to.

luckily i am up money this year... but i have been pushed to the brink before. just learn from your mistakes man and dont stress out about it. enjoy the little things in life and dont obsess about money
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: saro7

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    This is the worst place by far to ask for advice when everyone here is a full blown degenerate.......
    not true man. We are here to help, there are some sharp gueys around here.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

when you hurt others?

first of all this shit is not easy. you gotta put the work in if ya want to pick winners.

that or just tail my self, Benny bigs, nasher, coiner, big day,
    LT Profits (NFL only), Trigga Trace, Paco, T-Wizzle and bubblebutt

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Itsamazing777 View Post
    Also use other sights than this one. Like covers and get others opinion as well
    Too many aliases at covers, someone will post under one name offering advice and then log into another one telling you that you are a loser.

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

i second rkelly's post, you might want to consider getting some naltrexone (which is typically for alcohol addiction but can be effective in treating other addictive behaviors) if things are getting out of hand. If you think your gambling is linked to a comorbid condition, such as depression, you might also want to consider an SSRI or other anti-depressant medication too. Best of luck to ya

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    I live in Vegas and work on the strip, so I know a lot of people personally that have full-blown gambling addiction. The obvious route is to seek help, which is widely available just about anywhere. But....

Something else I noticed is that most of these guys I know have very little to look forward to, or what they should be looking forward to (family) has gone south, and they're drinking to run away from it, and gambling here just goes hand-in-hand with that. Find something, anything, that you can see yourself getting excited about or looking forward to in the future. Every one of us has multiple things we're at the very least intrigued by. I like to cook when I'm feeling calm, and when I'm amped up I like to go to the gym and box and train with other people close to my size if they're there and up for it, and if I'm too lazy for that I'll sit around and watch Sugar Ray Leonard or Bernard Hopkins videos and try to take away what I can from them. I feel like I could turn to these things if I was trying to get over something like that. Everyone I know pretty much has something as their go-to that doesn't involve gambling, drugs, or booze -- things like biking, guitar, running, working on cars, shooting guns, chasing tail, collecting, MMORPGs, trying to look as fit as possible, etc. Religion can come into play here too in certain cases, though it's definitely not for everyone. It just feels great to go out and get better at something little by little.

You're never going to be a successful gambler, even if you have a few tricks up your sleeve, you've done well in the past, blah blah blah -- aint happening. Seriously, there's like 20 people that can claim real sustainable success with sportsbetting, you might as well try to join the NBA. You can however become really awesome at something else, which can make it pretty easy to say good-by to the old lifestyle.

If life sucks at the moment, and there's only one thing that makes you happy (betting), well shit, that's what you're gonna do. On the other hand, if you have real options on what to go out and do at any given time, then it can be a lot easier. Tim Ferriss said that the opposite of happiness isn't sadness, it's boredom. I believe it. So that sums up my one real piece of advice: Set shit up to where you're almost never bored. Watch what happens.

And while you're at it, kill your access. Throw away your router and disable internet on your phone, or at the very least get all your gambling sites blocked. Make it so you couldn't go back even if you wanted to.

Hope any of this helps.
    great fukking advice pal but all i got from op is this...

i ask advice here and people give me winners and i ignore them.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

if u suck and something, you suck at it. don't bet any more, just tell urself, "self, I suck at this, I shouldn't do this anymore." then stop doing it.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    great fukking advice pal but all i got from op is this...
    Ha I know, I caught that too. What I read from that was he's trying to go all-in on parlays to make up for losses. Who knows. Parlays are the squarest things ever invented. Endless money supply for books. Avoid.