TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Ebay: Final Value Fee On Shipping - Most Ludicrous Charge & Explanation Even Better

I was going through my eBay invoice today and noticed an unusual charge called "Final Value Fee Shipping." Apparently this is an additional fee to your "Final Value Fee" on your auction. I was shocked. They charged me an additional $4.00 on top of my shipping and closing costs.

I called eBay for an explanation. The customer service rep couldn't even give me an answer. She goes... I really don't know why either? I was selling a full set of brand new tanning lamps. The shipping charge I posted was $39.99 anywhere in the USA. My actual shipping bill was $50.02 from FedEx. I lost $$$$ on the charge. But eBay claims they could of shipped my item cheaper around the $35.00 mark... with another carrier. I started laughing. You mean to tell me... your company is estimating what it costs to ship an item? What an absolute rip off eBay is... not only I lost 10% on the closing costs. 3% To PayPal.... and now 10% on "Final Value Fee Shipping" charge. Why in the Fu#$ do I sell things? Oh I forgot.... I have to put food on the table for my family.

Apparently you are charged a "Final Value Fee Shipping" when you over estimate your shipping charge on your auction. But how the hell does eBay know the cost of your padding, peanuts, packing material that you used to get it ready for shipping? That stuff isn't free. America is going rock bottom.

bostonbruins
    bostonbruins's Avatar Become A Pro!

They got bad with this BS, also nice how ebay and paypal are the same company double dipping on fees

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Paypal is owned by Ebay - it all goes to the same packet...fukking monopoly at its best

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Quote Originally Posted by bostonbruins View Post
    They got bad with this BS, also nice how ebay and paypal are the same company double dipping on fees
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Paypal is owned by Ebay - it all goes to the same packet...fukking monopoly at its best

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

They charge 10% for the entire item that was sold and 10% of the shipping cost and here is why:

The reason why they do this is because sellers from Japan were selling things like memory sticks and other small(but valuable items) for like 99 cents and then charging $100 to ship them. They were doing this to beat "The System" and avoid the fees for the item sold since they were making it up in the high shipping cost which Ebay originally didn't charge fees on. So in order for Ebay to avoid people scamming them, they started charging fees for the shipping charge to deter the scammers.

You can blame the scammers for fukking up a good thing.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

Apparently you are charged a "Final Value Fee Shipping" when you over estimate your shipping charge on your auction. But how the hell does eBay know the cost of your padding, peanuts, packing material that you used to get it ready for shipping? That stuff isn't free. America is going rock bottom.
    Your best bet is to add on extra $ for these things.

If you are selling something that weighs say 1 pound, go to USPS.com and see what the actual cost will be and add a few dollars to it. I sell A LOT of stuff on Ebay and I usually just add extra weight and add a few extra dollars to whatever it is that I am selling. If it is supposed to be say $7.95, I make it $8.95. As long as you ship priority(which now comes with auto tracking in the USA) and the buyer receives it quickly and can track it, they won't care about an extra buck or 2.

Most of the stuff I sell(probably 80%) goes over to Europe and Australia.

While Ebay does seem like a scam with their 10%(and then Paypal's 4%) You simply can not find any local auction that can match that low of a % and also get you that much exposure.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Kermit - I was selling tanning lotion and the shipping price was $5.99 and naturally I did all my labels through Ebay USPS and I think they print at $5.15 each. So I'm making an extra $0.84 and all of a sudden... Ebay goes... "Final Value Fee Shipping" $0.54 and I'm like??!?!! Come on!!! Their system must be so sophisticated that there's nothing you can do to out smart it? I will take your advice and add more to the weight of items.... but I usually just do those FLAT RATE priority boxes... which weight really doesn't matter... but I'm always looking for advice. Thanks!

no1here
    no1here's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6547

I sell alot on ebay buying from two local online auctions and never realized this problem. Alot of times I sell an item prior to picking it up using pics directly from where I purchase. Last month I bought set of dishes for $250 sight unseen listed them for $1500 plus $35. shipping. They sold but dishes cost $319. to ship taking four boxes. Good news is she bought twice more. Last week I bidded $555. on a real human skull but wasn't winning bidder. I did pick up another set of dishes but these cost only $35. and will be sold for hundreds.

Setting up permanent ebay center at the moment. Insurance company wants pics so have to be fast. Times like this I wish I wasn't a hermit and had some friends. By end of summer should be doing 30K monthly and expand from there.

Did you see pic of kanagroo coat posted last month, it was a beauty and only sold for $55. Weird high end always. Specialize in wheat pennies and once set up will totally control ebay market of them. In experiencing the thought found it takes roughly $200 daily to buy and then resell back on or take to local online auctions.

retard
    retard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

They make you pay 15% fees on the shipping money you get also
    They take away ebay fees from the shipping $ then paypal takes some money away with fees.
    Last edited by retard; 05-25-13 at 03:27 PM.

Spanks
    me pee pee
    Spanks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Quote Originally Posted by no1here View Post
    I sell alot on ebay buying from two local online auctions and never realized this problem. Alot of times I sell an item prior to picking it up using pics directly from where I purchase. Last month I bought set of dishes for $250 sight unseen listed them for $1500 plus $35. shipping. They sold but dishes cost $319. to ship taking four boxes. Good news is she bought twice more. Last week I bidded $555. on a real human skull but wasn't winning bidder. I did pick up another set of dishes but these cost only $35. and will be sold for hundreds.

Setting up permanent ebay center at the moment. Insurance company wants pics so have to be fast. Times like this I wish I wasn't a hermit and had some friends. By end of summer should be doing 30K monthly and expand from there.

Did you see pic of kanagroo coat posted last month, it was a beauty and only sold for $55. Weird high end always. Specialize in wheat pennies and once set up will totally control ebay market of them. In experiencing the thought found it takes roughly $200 daily to buy and then resell back on or take to local online auctions.
    are you retarded

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    They charge 10% for the entire item that was sold and 10% of the shipping cost and here is why:

The reason why they do this is because sellers from Japan were selling things like memory sticks and other small(but valuable items) for like 99 cents and then charging $100 to ship them. They were doing this to beat "The System" and avoid the fees for the item sold since they were making it up in the high shipping cost which Ebay originally didn't charge fees on. So in order for Ebay to avoid people scamming them, they started charging fees for the shipping charge to deter the scammers.

You can blame the scammers for fukking up a good thing.
    This, and it's not just for scamming. Well, I mean not just for beating e-bay but beating your tax man aswell (at least where I live in it works like that)

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by The iron sheik View Post
    This, and it's not just for scamming. Well, I mean not just for beating e-bay but beating your tax man aswell (at least where I live in it works like that)
    Good point sheik.