Ted Nugent’s brother:
Gun control ‘will get done’ without NRA

In an editorial published Sunday afternoon, Jeffrey Nugent, brother of National Rifle Association chairman Ted Nugent, explained that he and his brother have dramatically differing views on gun control and warned that the nation is moving toward regulating firearms with or without the NRA.

Specifically, the Detroit-born rocker’s brother came out hard for expanding criminal background checks to all gun buyers. He added that, much like vehicles, the U.S. should regulate guns to require a license and insurance at time of purchase, without exception.

“Car companies know it is good for the auto industry to make cars safer and get dangerous drivers off the road,” he wrote. “Why can’t gun manufacturers and the NRA realize this as well?”

Nugent concludes:

Ted and I have talked about these matters over the years, but more often lately. I concede that he is right on some points: In some instances, cities and states with less-strict gun laws have less violent crime. But that does not argue for arming America. Ted is someone who speaks in extremes to make his points. It reflects who he is, and it works for him and his audience.

I have a 9-year-old son and two 6-year-old grandsons. Any of them could have been the victims of our recent gun tragedies - and still could become victims if we don’t do something. Virtually every day we see the tragic stories of kids shooting other kids, of children being killed in crossfire. We must act, not tomorrow, not the next day. End gun violence now, and start with limiting the purchase of firearms to those who really deserve the right.

Let’s see if the NRA and its new leaders step up and do what is right. If not, it will get done without them. We all have a role here, especially to protect our children. Who is going to be the voice for them?

Responding to his brother, Ted Nugent took to his usual perch at conservative opinion website Newsmax to let all his fans know that he thinks his brother “is dead wrong.”

Throughout my travels I’ve literally spoken with many hundreds of beat cops, homicide investigators, undercover cops, police chiefs, sheriffs, and federal agents about crime, and not one - not a single one - has ever said that closing the so-called gun show loophole or universal background checks would reduce crime.

What these brave law enforcement officers have told me over and over again is that America does have a loophole that, if closed, would significantly make America safer.

That loophole is the revolving door of our criminal justice system.

Nugent advocated a return to public lynching in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing and has long said he favors rapid executions over the practice of jurisprudence and fair sentencing. Raw Story

HIGHLIGHTS

Following the publication of his brother’s op-ed, Ted responded with an article of his own. While he complimented his brother’s boldness and their upbringing, he said that Jeffrey’s stance on expanded background checks is “dead wrong.” The Blaze

Jeffrey wrote in a piece for Washington Post May 17 “I believe strongly that expanding and improving mandatory background checks will keep a lot of people who aren’t entitled to Second Amendment rights from having easy access to guns.” The Blaze

earlier this year, Nugent spoke out against the background check legislation authored by Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.), deeming the measure the “the Ban Ted Nugent Act of 2013." Huffington Post

In the Post op-ed, the elder Nugent details attending last month's NRA annual convention in Houston, Texas with his brother, who gave the last speech at the annual meeting. Huffington Post

AN/ARA