pattymayo
    pattymayo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 159

Quitting cigs

Anyone quit after years of smoking? What finally worked for you?

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11866

Knock your wife/girlfriend up.

Ruifgalmeida
    Ruifgalmeida's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Quitting cigarretes it is easy, ive done it several times
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: onemoregoal

CountNo_Account
    The Man, the Myth,the Legend, the Count
    CountNo_Account's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3779

Chantrix

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

This guy tried it.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

I did; I simply just quit. I was up to 2 packs a day at one point. The first 3 days were rough, I told my wife upfront that it's gonna be rough, and I'm apologizing ahead of time for being a dick. After those 3 days, the rest was easy.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3633

I smoked a pack a day for fifteen years. Got roped into a full court basketball game. About ten minutes into the game I folded on the floor, completely winded. They were going to call an ambulance for me because I looked so sick. I started to get my breath back and everybody settled down. That scared the living shiit out of me and I quit smoking - cold turkey. Haven't had a cigarette since.

Take it from me... If you want to quit, do it completely cold-turkey. Just man-up and get it done.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

Now honestly: Quit it or leave it. If one really wants to quit it isn't that hard. End of story. Always have to laugh at people trying to stop with the help of medicaments etc. Are you a man or a mouse? I mean come on: You wanna quit --> quit.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Ruifgalmeida View Post
    Quitting cigarretes it is easy, ive done it several times
    Have you actually quit?
    Several times makes it seems like you just push them away for a while, then let them creep back into your life.

Aaron McCrevice
    Aaron McCrevice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 655

I smoked for years and wanted to quit. One day I lit up in a public place, and a lady passerby had the nerve to tell me how dropdead gorgeous I was until the moment I lit up. But I knew if I was to finally quit, it has to be for unselfish reasons and not for the love of a woman.

I went home & shot a video of myself with a cigarette in my mouth, and after watching it I realized what she meant...

I was a under a hypnotic trance my entire smoking life. The cigarette represented everything in life I resented. Once I realized that, I never smoked again.

GL buddy...

onemoregoal
    twentysixblack
    onemoregoal's Avatar Become A Pro!

If your not coughing in the morning, youre good pal

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

It's only hard for the first week. Have a plan for what you're going to do when you get a craving. After a week, you'll feel better and realize you don't want to go back. Then it's nothing more than will power. You either got it or you don't.

Also eat lots of broccoli and carrots, it helps big time.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i smoked for 15 years.

haven't touched a cig in 4 years.

you just got to truly want to quit and do it cold turkey.

you'll suffer for couple months but you won't even think about it after that...

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Have you actually quit?
    Several times makes it seems like you just push them away for a while, then let them creep back into your life.
    I guess the guy was just being sarcastic.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

good luck in quitting . I am watching them kill everyone around me.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Have you actually quit?
    Derelict...

StateChamp
    Dr Phil Nation
    StateChamp's Avatar Become A Pro!

if your a true degen you cant quit. if you have a balanced brain it will be tough for a few weeks then ez

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

get one of those e cigs. seems like a no brainer way to quit these days. gives you the oral fixation and a little tobbacco i believe but it will ween you off the real ones. should be much easier to quit e cig cold turkey than reg cigs. I quit dipping cold turkey after years of a tin a day habit and like someone said the first week was rough but it was smooth sailing after that with the cravings being mental not physical anymore. good luck

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I smoked 1-2 packs a day for 14 years. I had tried to wean myself off but could never quite do it. One New Years in Vegas I powered down almost 3 packs and just felt like shit. I had this weird moment where I realized that I just could never have one ever again. I threw the rest of the pack away and never smoked again. It's been 8 years.

Seems like the majority of successful quitters did it cold turkey. I still have dreams about smoking, but don't crave it.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cold turkey almost 3 years ago.

First 2 weeks were rough the rest was nothing.

The best tip I have for you is to stay busy. Go fishing, biking, hiking, running, whatever you like.

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck man, never started and after reading this thread doesn't seem like I am missing much.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

try cigars maybe?

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

I say put the money aside that you were gonna spend in cigs and buy yourself something nice every week. Baseball tickets, nice jacket, nice dinner, etc.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

smoked for a couple years in college and just stopped cold turkey as well. Its all about having the will power.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Depends on the person. I smoked 2 to 2 1/2 packs for about 13 years and quit cold turkey. The biggest hangups for me were, at the time, playing poker online and drinking; during both those activities I smoked a shit-load, so avoid your triggers for awhile.

My wife quit at the same time as I did and used the patch. She says it worked, but I've never tried that myself.

Also, there's an app that tells you how much money you saved, cigs you would have smoked, and changes in your body from not smoking ... if you need that type of inspiration.

GL, brotha