yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Major snow storm

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...w-and-ice?lite

Along the Kansas-Nebraska state line, up to a foot and a half of snow was expected.
    The University of Kansas closed for the day, as did schools in Wichita and Oklahoma City.
    The storm is vast: Earlier this week, it closed roads and stranded cars in California and dusted cactus tops in Southwest. At a delayed tournament in Arizona, pro golfers threw snowballs at each other and retreated to the clubhouse for hot chocolate.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

Tell me about,, I reside in the middle of KS.. Town is shut down. We currently have roughly over 2ft of snow now and still snowing hard.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

wish it coulda come up further north

its been awhile for a big snow in, in Chicago

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Foot to foot and a half is child's play.

yisman

"By evening, more than 14 inches of snow had fallen on the ground in Wichita, Kan., the second largest on record and the most the city had seen in 50 years."

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/...-of-match-play

"Bundled in a winter jacket in a chilly tent near the snow-covered driving range, Mark Russell was asked where the opening day of the Match Play Championship ranked among his bizarre weather experiences. "It's right there," said Russell, the PGA Tour's vice president of competition.
    And Russell has been on the job for more than 30 years.
    First-round play in the World Golf Championships event was suspended Wednesday when rain that came down sideways quickly gave way to snow from a winter storm that dumped close to 2 inches on Dove Mountain in about an hour. The temperature plunged to 33 degrees at the cactus-lined layout 2,800 feet above sea level. "

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

The Blizzard of 1888

With up to 50 inches of snow dumped across the northeast of the United States this monster blizzard was aptly dubbed ‘The Great White Hurricane’. Major metropolitan areas like New York faced severe winds of up to 45miles an hour, drifts of more than 50 feet and floods caused when the snow melted. With fire departments unable to function, the financial losses from fires alone amounted to a staggering $25 million. Human casualties totaled 400, with 200 people dying in New York alone.

The Great Snow of 1717

Any era would have been hard by the severity of the snowfall experienced in New England, United States in February and March of 1717. But at a time when transportation consisted of horseback or by foot these harsh series of snowstorms were particularly devastating. Boston and Philadelphia got hit the hardest, but it is uncertain how widespread the effects were as record-keeping in colonial New England was rather sketchy. With snow drifts of 25 feet high, entire houses were buried rapping people in their homes for days. Those fortunate enough exited from second story windows.

Armistice Day Blizzard

On November 11 1940, a devastating snow storm swept through the Midwest of the United States, encompassing Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan. Some areas saw 27 inches of snow accompanied by 80 mph winds and snow drifts of up to 20 feet high. The storm claimed the lives of 154 people. The blizzard struck right in the middle of the duck hunting season killing 25 hunters due to a lack of preparation. Perhaps the most tragic story was the 66 people who died in Lake Michigan when three freighters and two small boats capsized due to the weight of the snow.

Iran Blizzard

Very little is known about the fierce blizzard that struck Iran in February of 1972, although with a death toll of approximately 4,000 it ranks as one of the deadliest snowstorms in history. According to contemporary reports, whole communities were wiped out with the city of Ardakan and outlying villages hit the hardest hit, with no survivors in Kakkan or Kumar. In the northwest, near the border with Turkey, the village of Sheklab and its 100 inhabitants were buried by up to eight metres of snow.

Quebec Ice Storm

Frequently described as the 20th century’s worst ice storm, an estimated $1 billion worth of damage were caused in Ontario and Quebec in January 4 to 10 1998. Roughly 2.5 million residents went without electricity for nearly a week in what was called the greatest natural disaster in Canadian history. Freezing rain exceeded 100mm – the largest amount on record.

yisman

it isn't one of the biggest storms in history

I don't get what your point is. It was a major snow storm. I didn't say it was the biggest ever.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

This will be the third weekend in a row that Boston is getting hit with a snow storm.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

Official measure in my town was 17 inches! Which I think is BS.. I have shoveled snow for over 3 hours now. It could be drifts...I don't know, but if fukking sucks..I measured a little over 2ft. Anyway this storm is second record for my town....previous record 18 inches.

Agreed.