Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15319

33% of employers wont hire you if you're holding a drink in a social media photo

I heard that the first thing HR does is search google and see if there is dirt on you then they go to facebook and twitter and look a your photos.

Some even ask for your passwords.

These sites are great for reaching out to friends but can be used against you.

joeyd2232
    joeyd2232's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Groundbreaking

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    I heard that the first thing HR does is search google and see if there is dirt on you then they go to facebook and twitter and look a your photos.

The first thing HR DOES NOT do is google facebook.
    I had this talk with VP of hiring last year where I work.
    They check references, they check criminal backround, they check past employers, this is a myth.
    It is true, some corporations prefer that if you use social media, you use Linkedn, and it is true that maybe 5 percent (her numbers, not mine) do check your facebook account, there are only very few reported incidents where recruiters have asked for your password.

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    The first thing HR DOES NOT do is google facebook.
    I had this talk with VP of hiring last year where I work.
    They check references, they check criminal backround, they check past employers, this is a myth.
    It is true, some corporations prefer that if you use social media, you use Linkedn, and it is true that maybe 5 percent (her numbers, not mine) do check your facebook account, there are only very few reported incidents where recruiters have asked for your password.
    LOL are you serious? I guess we know how you got your job then.

Lets say you meet some cvnt and go out on a date. You telling me your not going to do a google search and try to find the real shit?

A picture with you holding a blunt in your hand says more about your character than some jackass you worked with or one of your friends you put down as a reference.

stevenash

LOL are you serious? I guess we know how you got your job then.

Lets say you meet some cvnt and go out on a date. You telling me your not going to do a google search and try to find the real shit?

A picture with you holding a blunt in your hand says more about your character than some jackass you worked with or one of your friends you put down as a reference.
    The first thing HR does not do is google you during the hiring process.

You are ignorant if you think that is what the first thing they do.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Only job I can think of that actually does check your Facebook/Social media accounts is a cop. My brother was hired recently and they go though your entire life during the hiring process.

Emily_Haines

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    The first thing HR does not do is google you during the hiring process.

You are ignorant if you think that is what the first thing they do.
    don't argue me

i telling you

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod124 View Post
    Only job I can think of that actually does check your Facebook/Social media accounts is a cop. My brother was hired recently and they go though your entire life during the hiring process.
    I work I/T for insurance company, where I have access to electronic information of accounts that are in the six and seven figures.
    I was interviewed by former FBI (who works for us) after the HR process, but never, ever did they check my social media.
    Even if they did, I have nothing wrong on twitter, facebook, and my professional profile on Linkedn is solid.

OP's thread is based on hearsay, my responses are first hand from a corporate recruiter, OP has no credibility what so ever and is a laughing stock, I ooze integrity.

Who you going with?

lock$mith
    lock$mith's Avatar Become A Pro!

You guys are a bunch of fukkin retards

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's why I don't have a Facebook.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14392

Don't snort coke either.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Holding a drink? I'm looking if the girl is holding a blunt. And most are.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Quote Originally Posted by Marv001 View Post
    That's why I don't have a Facebook.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

#1 no one is gonna check your Twitter msgs unless you give them your twitter handle and you let them follow you
    #2 no one can check your FB page if you simply go and modify the privacy settings that would allow only your Friends view your page (you should do that regardless whether you're looking for a job or not)
    #3 same thing applies to LinkedIN...make your profile viewable by request only and you're good to go

lock$mith

I saw bostongamblers Facebook and he was holding another man's dyck

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

That is not the first thing HR does. Lol.

Also, you have the ability to make your profile private moron.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not true.

Maybe if you're applying at some crap mom and pop shop that don't have HR depts and have to do their own manual reference checks. Most major corporations hire a separate company that does a thorough background, employer, and credit check. But they do not go on Facebook or social media as grounds to hire you. Employers that ask for your passwords are just baiting themselves into major lawsuits ....trust me they're not gonna open up that can of worms just to hire you.

Again, maybe small rinky dink shops might do this but any major fortune 500 company worth working for, not a chance.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    Not true.

Maybe if you're applying at some crap mom and pop shop that don't have HR depts and have to do their own manual reference checks. Most major corporations hire a separate company that does a thorough background, employer, and credit check. But they do not go on Facebook or social media as grounds to hire you. Employers that ask for your passwords are just baiting themselves into major lawsuits ....trust me they're not gonna open up that can of worms just to hire you.

Again, maybe small rinky dink shops might do this but any major fortune 500 company worth working for, not a chance.

Don't even try to reason him. He's in Emily world.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    Not true.

The company I work for did a background check, contacted my references, checked transcripts, etc. You know, the normal stuff legit companies do.

I had my Facebook profile set to private just in case.

At any rate, you're not going to get disqualified from a job for drinking alcohol. Alcohol is provided at my company Christmas parties and when I goto Vegas in April on business for a conference, you can bet your ass me and my boss will be drinking.

People need to get real. Geez. It's not illegal to drink.

stevenash

Show me an employment application that has a section that says "Twitter handle" "Face Book handle" Please provide passwords.

Points Awarded:

Chi_archie gave stevenash 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MagicDiceFlow

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Nasher wins the thread!

Emily_Haines

Nash just saying what goes on at his shitty job. He has nothing better to do than to go down and hit on the hottie at HR by asking her stupid questions. Remember I said one out of three so yeah a lot of companies are going to go the standard route.

According to a new study conducted by Harris Interactive for CareerBuilder.com, 45 percent of employers questioned are using social networks to screen job candidates — more than double from a year earlier, when a similar survey found that just 22 percent of supervisors were researching potential hires on social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and LinkedIn.

The study, which questioned 2,667 managers and human resource workers, found that 35 percent of employers decided not to offer a job to a candidate based on the content uncovered on a social networking site. (The survey has no margin of sampling error because it was not drawn from a representative nationwide sample but rather from volunteer participants.)

The report showed that Facebook was the most popular online destination for employers to do their online sleuthing, followed by LinkedIn and MySpace. In addition, 7 percent followed job candidates on Twitter.

More than half of the employers who participated in the survey said that provocative photos were the biggest factor contributing to a decision not to hire a potential employee, while 44 percent of employers pinpointed references to drinking and drug use as red flags.

http://www.businessinsider.com/empoy...assword-2012-3

lock$mith

Nash just saying what goes on at his shitty job. He has nothing better to do than to go down and hit on the hottie at HR by asking her stupid questions. Remember I said one out of three so yeah a lot of companies are going to go the standard route.

According to a new study conducted by Harris Interactive for CareerBuilder.com, 45 percent of employers questioned are using social networks to screen job candidates — more than double from a year earlier, when a similar survey found that just 22 percent of supervisors were researching potential hires on social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and LinkedIn.

The study, which questioned 2,667 managers and human resource workers, found that 35 percent of employers decided not to offer a job to a candidate based on the content uncovered on a social networking site. (The survey has no margin of sampling error because it was not drawn from a representative nationwide sample but rather from volunteer participants.)

The report showed that Facebook was the most popular online destination for employers to do their online sleuthing, followed by LinkedIn and MySpace. In addition, 7 percent followed job candidates on Twitter.

More than half of the employers who participated in the survey said that provocative photos were the biggest factor contributing to a decision not to hire a potential employee, while 44 percent of employers pinpointed references to drinking and drug use as red flags.

http://www.businessinsider.com/empoy...assword-2012-3
    Well said Emily. Can I take you out for a drink? Is your avatar a real pic of you?

lock$mith

I won't take a pic of us having drinks, I promise

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

I think this is more popular than people realize. I know my employer checks out Facebook when hiring, I'd bet that most do. I saw a thing on the Today Show like 6 months ago talking about some employers asking people for their FB password if they have their profile set to private. Basically they were asking "Today's Professionals" about it, and they all said the companies who ask for passwords will get a bad rap and nobody will want to work for them. Makes sense.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Crap, time to take some photos down from facebook...